Thread: Interior/dash shot of '76 TA

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Interior/dash shot of '76 TA

(For Rick and other Second Gen. F-car fans.)

Here's a shot of the dashboard area of my '76 TA. It is all original except for three small things: The aftermarket stereo (I have the original Am/FM unit restored and ready to re-install), the 160 mph speedo ('76 cars originally had a 100 mph speedo; I replaced mine with an earlier unit) and the shifter plate for the transmission, which if you look closely has positions for four forward speeds, not just D 2 and L. My car has a four-speed OD transmission now.)

Note the electric rear defrost and power door lock switches on the far right of the dashboard. These were fairly rare options in '76. The car also has power windows, the optional "custom" interior with Horsecollar seats and an 8-track player. The only factory options not present are the rear console and cruise control.
    Attached Images Attached Images

GREAT condition, Eric! I have the electric rear window defogger, but not the power door locks. My car was originally a "radio delete" car with the accomodation package only. I popped for the deluxe interior (same as yours) and the AC, but otherwise it was a "go fast" car -- 4 speed, no power windows, no power door locks -- nothing that added weight. I caught crap from my friends for getting AC, but I'd never had it in a car before and I was tired of being sweaty, plus with the "economy" switch in the AC/heat controls I could set it to freewheel when I didn't want the power drag. Only many years later did I add an AM/FM cassette unit. Alas, I don't have the delete plate any longer...

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    GREAT condition, Eric! I have the electric rear window defogger, but not the power door locks. My car was originally a "radio delete" car with the accomodation package only. I popped for the deluxe interior (same as yours) and the AC, but otherwise it was a "go fast" car -- 4 speed, no power windows, no power door locks -- nothing that added weight. I caught crap from my friends for getting AC, but I'd never had it in a car before and I was tired of being sweaty, plus with the "economy" switch in the AC/heat controls I could set it to freewheel when I didn't want the power drag. Only many years later did I add an AM/FM cassette unit. Alas, I don't have the delete plate any longer...
    Thanks!

If I had been old enough "back in the day" (I was 9 when my car was new) I would have ordered it without the power windows and locks but with the 455/4-speed combo.

I really love the color (Carousel Red) though. I think it's one of the best colors for a mid-late '70s TA.

In '76 you could also order Goldenrod Yellow - another usual color that's very rarely seen today, even at Pontiac shows. I don't know how many Carousel Red/Goldenrod Yellow TAs were built in '76 but my guess is relatively few.

Speaking of unusual colors (and cars)... I know a guy who owns a '70 Formula 400 RA III with a THREE speed on the floor and the 14 inch rims with dog dish hubcaps and nothing else. It is a stripper - except for the drivetrain. He had it researched by PHS and it came back a one of three cars with this combo.

Another one (that got away). I have a friend whose dad bought a '79 Formula brand new. This was a Formula 400 4-speed/WS6 with a vinyl roof and velour interior; Nocturne Blue outside.

I have never seen another like it....