Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maggot appliances

Angry Maggot appliances

Whirlpool has made all sorts of appliances here in Indiana for decades. Come July of this year, they will make their washer, refrigerators and such in Mexico to pay lower wages. Over 1100 people will lose their jobs. That's bad enough BUT......

there is a rally planned in a few days with the union national reps helping out. Whirpool has sent out notice that anyone participating in the rally may find it difficult to get another job. Not only are these people losing their jobs, but they are expected to like it! Whirlpool is working a lot of over time right now to build up inventory before they pull the plug and get started in Mexico. Think about this when you buy your next appliance and look at Whirlpool products.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    Whirlpool has made all sorts of appliances here in Indiana for decades. Come July of this year, they will make their washer, refrigerators and such in Mexico to pay lower wages. Over 1100 people will lose their jobs. That's bad enough BUT......

there is a rally planned in a few days with the union national reps helping out. Whirpool has sent out notice that anyone participating in the rally may find it difficult to get another job. Not only are these people losing their jobs, but they are expected to like it! Whirlpool is working a lot of over time right now to build up inventory before they pull the plug and get started in Mexico. Think about this when you buy your next appliance and look at Whirlpool products.
    Really depressing - and infuriating, too.

Average Americans are caught in the middle. They lose their jobs, or get their pay cut - or live under the constant threat of both - due to job outsourcing to Mexico and China. This, in turn, puts more pressure on them to buy the cheapest/lowest price goods available. Which in turn puts more pressure on companies to outsource to Mexico and China.

This is "free trade" in reality vs. the idiot fantasy peddled by its advocates: A nationwide bum's rush to the bottom.

The only people profiting are the corporate/shareholder elites.

Staff
    Being unemployed myself, I would quit and tell them to pound sand. What are the workders buying themselves by staying? 2-3 months of work and a possible 2 week severance package? If you are going to end up homless and living in your car, at least make a point to those ass clown managers.

As I am unemployed, I will not be buying Whirlpool or any other products for that matter.

Why in the hell does Whirlpool need to make its appliances in Mexico? I mean, our wages aren't exactly skyrocketing.

I'm pissed off enough to write a letter right now!

"Why in the hell does Whirlpool need to make its appliances in Mexico? "

Because it will increase "shareholder value" - and because that will mean a multi-million dollar payday for some asshole corporate CEO or consultant who came up with the idea.

Staff
    My letter to Whirlpool Customer Service (I am also going to revise it just a little and send it to the CEO.)

"It has come to my attention that your company is considering moving its plant out of Indiana to Mexico in the middle of the worst recession that America has seen since the 1930's. You should be ashamed of yourselves. People are getting laid off by the thousands weekly and millions of jobs are being lost monthly. Your former employees will probably end up homeless given enough time. All to save $20.00 on the production costs of a washing machine!

If you think that I or anyone else knowing that would buy from you assclowns (in management) you are sorely mistaken. I would rather buy from a Chinese manufacturer than a bunch of traitors. You can be assured that I am going to tell everyone I know about this and hope that they never purchase so much as a can opener from your company.

I hope that your company president and all his ass kissing underlings end up out on the street, working for minimum wage like the rest of this country. You deserve a life of indentured servitude.

I sincerely hope that your warranty department gets in its neck in recalls and returns and your company declares bankruptcy for treating the American worker like a used piece of chewing gum.

Whrilpool? Like hell."

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    My letter to Whirlpool Customer Service (I am also going to revise it just a little and send it to the CEO.)

"It has come to my attention that your company is considering moving its plant out of Indiana to Mexico in the middle of the worst recession that America has seen since the 1930's. You should be ashamed of yourselves. People are getting laid off by the thousands weekly and millions of jobs are being lost monthly. Your former employees will probably end up homeless given enough time. All to save $20.00 on the production costs of a washing machine!

If you think that I or anyone else knowing that would buy from you assclowns (in management) you are sorely mistaken. I would rather buy from a Chinese manufacturer than a bunch of traitors. You can be assured that I am going to tell everyone I know about this and hope that they never purchase so much as a can opener from your company.

I hope that your company president and all his ass kissing underlings end up out on the street, working for minimum wage like the rest of this country. You deserve a life of indentured servitude.

I sincerely hope that your warranty department gets in its neck in recalls and returns and your company declares bankruptcy for treating the American worker like a used piece of chewing gum.

Whrilpool? Like hell."

I keep hearing it will take some time for our economic recovery to 'get the jobs back'. Our government gotta get the wake-up call that these jobs ain't gonna come back!

This situation is like a Road Runner cartoon, where you can see the anvil headed right for Whiley E Coyote. Our 'leaders' just don't get it - but they will soon.

It isn't just Whirlpool. If I am not mistaken, Amana stopped making stuff in Iowa some time ago. Used to be a high-quality American made appliance but no longer.

Here's a link to show who makes what:

http://http://www.appliance411.com/purchase/make.shtml

Quote Originally Posted by dBrong View Post
    Here's a link to show who makes what:

http://http://www.appliance411.com/purchase/make.shtml

Hmmmm......link didn't work.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

I did a little cipherin as Jethro Bodine used to say. The average wage at the Whirlpool plant is around $15.00 an hour. The wages in Mexico will be around $2.15 an hour. That looks to be about 14% labor cost or a drop of 86% from what they pay now. How much you want to bet the price of a new washer won't drop, possibly it might even go up.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Here it is again - works for me?

http://www.appliance411.com/purchase/make.shtml

I did a little cipherin as Jethro Bodine used to say. The average wage at the Whirlpool plant is around $15.00 an hour. The wages in Mexico will be around $2.15 an hour. That looks to be about 14% labor cost or a drop of 86% from what they pay now. How much you want to bet the price of a new washer won't drop, possibly it might even go up.
    Exactly.

But the asshole corporate chieftain who ginned it up will get a big bonus (probably more than the entire year's wages for an average worker) for "increasing shareholder value."

If only people would wake up and, together, refuse to purchase the products made in this way, we could get a handle on the problem. But people are so besieged, or ignorant - or indifferent - that the situation is hopeless. They rush like lemmings to Wal Mart and othr big box retailers to get those "low prices" - not appreciating that the price of "saving" comes at the cost of their wages, maybe even their jobs.

The looting of the America will continue.

I finally got the link to work. I see why Amana doesn't make stuff in the U.S.A. anymore. They are owned by Whirlpool. Whirlpool is going the way of Wally Wurld. Buy cheap overseas and sell to Americans who only want the lowest price, as long as they're still working.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

As you can guess, Whirlpool is not real popular locally lately. This mornings paper had an article on the CEO of Whirlpool. It seems his compensation went up by 75% this year. Hmmmm.......why does that not surprise me.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

An update on the Whirlpool saga. The CEO got a 75% raise. Whirlpool lost 22% in income this last year. Now, I have to produce to make my hourly rate. I need to find a way to screw the company and make some big bucks.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

An update on the Whirlpool saga. The CEO got a 75% raise. Whirlpool lost 22% in income this last year. Now, I have to produce to make my hourly rate. I need to find a way to screw the company and make some big bucks.
    This is apparently becoming common if not typical. I think it is socially explosive.

People who actually work are required to be ever more "productive" (more work/longer hours, etc.) without significant, if any, increase in pay - indeed, while living under the constant threat of their jobs being outsourced - while some bloated, double-chinned, Just For Men-dyed asshole CEO gets showered with massive salary and bonuses, often more in one year than a middle class worker will earn in a lifetime. And he gets it for nose-diving the company.

I read a lot of history and it's just this sort if arrogant entitlement-mindedness; this grotesque contrast of unmerited profligacy and ease for a few and brutality for the many, that leads to things like the Guillotine and The Terror... and much worse besides.

This Whirlpool guy... if the facts related are correct, I would not shed a tear if I heard he'd been knifed to death by some desperate worker who finally lost it. God help me, if I were on the jury afterward, I'd lean toward acquittal.

Well, Whirlpool has a CEO who has overseen a 22% drop in earnings for the corporation. Therefore, he gets a 75% increase in his renumeration. To pay for this, 600 workers walked out the door today, never to return since their jobs have ceased to exist. The other 500 still employed will make their contribution to pay for the fiscal malfeasance in about a month when their jobs are gone. Think about that the next time you need a washer or dryer.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

The solution is to get an old Maytag wringer/washer from the 30's/40's/50's they are durable and were made in America. Plus they are much cheaper than a new washer, and they are "broken in".

Quote Originally Posted by dieseleverything View Post
    The solution is to get an old Maytag wringer/washer from the 30's/40's/50's they are durable and were made in America. Plus they are much cheaper than a new washer, and they are "broken in".
    Where the phrase "Put Thru The Wringer" got it's start.....

Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    This Whirlpool guy... if the facts related are correct, I would not shed a tear if I heard he'd been knifed to death by some desperate worker who finally lost it. God help me, if I were on the jury afterward, I'd lean toward acquittal.
    I would for sure.