Thread: Idiotic? You tell me...

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Idiotic? You tell me...

I'm not 100 percent sure about this because I don't speak with these people, but here's the set-up:

The neighbors across the road from our place - the people with the teenaged kid who played the loud rap music, for those who recall my previous rant - appear to have purchased for this same kid a new or nearly new Mazda RX-8.

This kid is 16-17 years old; he doesn't work - and even if he did work, I doubt very much he could afford to buy or even insure an RX-8. (The car costs about $26k to start; a policy on an RX-8 for a kid under 21 has got to be at least $2,000 per year. Maybe more.)

But thar she blows; it's parked right outside their double-wide. Did I mention the double-wide has had a window boarded up with OSB for the past two years? There is apparently money for a $26,495 (base price) sports car for a pinhead 16-17 year old kid, But not for a $150 window.

White Trash Economics 101.

Like religion, this is something I just can't compute. Giving a kid that age a high-dollar, high-performance sports car is ramping up the odds he'll be dead before he makes 21 by 50 percent or more. And (my opinion) it also instills a fucked-up message about priorities, the relationship between work and possessions, valuing things because you had to earn them vs. having them handed to you, etc.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Giving a kid that age a high-dollar, high-performance sports car is ramping up the odds he'll be dead before he makes 21 by 50 percent or more.

Thoughts?
    A problem that comes with its own solution.

Maybe it's stolen? Someone who can't save $6.25 a month for a new window, surely can't afford a new RX-8. Maybe they didn't like the view? The RX-8 is rotary right? Doesn't even seem like a car that a white trash wanna-be ghetto thug would want.