Thread: Municipalities lower the speed limit as they please

Thumbs down Municipalities lower the speed limit as they please

So, my dad just back from vacationing in Florida for the winter. He told me he got a speeding ticket going 35MPH in a posted 35MPH zone. I guess the police can lower the speed limit at will, to whatever they see fit, without changing the signs! So when he was driving along at the posted 35MPH the cop decided to lower the limit to 30MPH. The cop gave him one MPH cushion lowering his speed to 34. It was only a $45 dollar ticket, but with all the "fees" it ended up costing $270.

Maybe 5 over isn't safe anymore, and we should all start driving exactly the speed limit, or even 5 under. Still I can't see how it's legal to change the rules mid-game. But I guess when the law breaks the law, there is no one left to enforce it.

When that happens, use your camera phone to get a pic of your car in front of the sign. Preferably with the cop car in the frame.

Chip H.

Quote Originally Posted by dieseleverything View Post
    Maybe 5 over isn't safe anymore, and we should all start driving exactly the speed limit, or even 5 under.
    I think we should starve these bastards out. Everyone should drive a little under the posted speed limit, and don't park a meters where you will have the possibility of getting a ticket.

I beleive if we did this for a year, these money grubbing municipalities would go bankrupt!

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dBrong View Post
    I think we should starve these bastards out. Everyone should drive a little under the posted speed limit, and don't park a meters where you will have the possibility of getting a ticket.

I beleive if we did this for a year, these money grubbing municipalities would go bankrupt!
    Go one better:

Get a high quality radar detector (Valentine V1) and drive reasonably without being constantly worried about tickets. I always drive faster than the speed limit (assuming it's not snowing, or foggy, etc). It's ridiculous not to. I used to get ticketed at least once every two years, almost always some bullshit 64 in a 55 kind of deal.

Not anymore.

Haven't had a ticket in two-plus years, thanks to the V1. And I drive as fast as I always did before!

And I'll tell you what - there is almost nothing as satisfying, that will make you feel great and just make your day - as getting the drop on some radar-running tax-feeder.