Thread: Dow basement wall system?

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Dow basement wall system?

Any of you guys seen this/used it?

http://building.dow.com/na/en/produc...n/wallmate.htm

It's basically Dow "blue board" styrofoam insulation but with nail strips on each end, so you can apply drywall or panelling directly to the board (no need to build a stud wall). It's designed to finish basement walls and I'm thinking about using it to complete one of the rooms in our basement, which I'm planning to make into our home gym.

From what I gather the panels save a step (studding the walls) and also do a good job of insulating block/poured walls, which prevents moisture build up from condensation, etc.

The main downside is that with no cavity in the wall you can't run wire, but that's not an issue for me in this case because I only plan to do the two block walls, chiefly so they're insulated. The other two walls are normal studded walls w/wire & outlets, etc. already finished w/drywall.

Any of you have ay thoughts on the Dow system?

Can you hang photos or a big-screen TV off it?

Chip H.

I looked at the video - you will notice that they are screwing 1 x 4's to the wall - there's no way to get around it.

If you go to HD, etc - you will see 4 x 8 sheets of pink insulation. Look carefully - they should be scored for 16" or 24" - pretty easy to snap apart. A serated bread knife helps.

The lengthly part - you really need to predrill the holes in the studs (2 x 2's) and also counter sink them. Put the stud in position, using a hammer drill, drill into the wall, then attach with the blue cement screws. When I did this by my self - I used quick grab adhesive, put up the studs, and the next day I drilled the holes in the wall.

As for the electrical - run some EMT conduit down along side of the stud. Fasten a 2" deep box to the wall. You can rabbet the edge of the foam board for the EMT, and make a cutout for the box.

Don't run the drywall to the floor - leave a 1/2" gap - just in case you would get a little water on the floor.

If I do this again I'm going to look into a power nailer that uses .22 carts - drilling all those damn holes is what takes the time!

Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    Can you hang photos or a big-screen TV off it?

Chip H.

That is the question I would ask....but if it can hold some weight(more then just the drywall), it should work good.