Thread: $4 Gas, $150 Oil Coming This Summer

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

$4 Gas, $150 Oil Coming This Summer

With summer driving season upon us, it’s important to note that there’s a traditional jump in gas prices. But will this seasonal adjustment benefit commodities, specifically oil and make the price of gasoline even higher? That could happen if those forms of energy lure investment from what seems to be an over-valued equities market, brought on by what some claim is cheap money.

On her April 5 program, “Closing Bell” host Maria Bartiromo asked CNBC’s CME Group floor reporter Rick Santelli if a move higher in commodities was due to inflation. However, according to Santelli, it’s not inflation but a move by investors out of a potentially over-valued equities market that will cause a rise in commodities.

“Well, you know, I don’t like to link the two together,” Santelli said. “I mean, many times you know, it is core [minus] food and energy. So I think throw all that away. I think the better question is, is that when people are afraid to put their money to work in treasuries, because rates may be going higher, maybe afraid that we are a little long in the tooth in the sugar-buzz rally of equities – boy, commodities is the place to be. Most of the good dollar trades probably already out there.”

And with this flight from equities to commodities, Santelli explained it could and will cause an upward adjustment in energy prices.

“We have the cyclical side – we’re going to have $4 gas this summer probably anyway,” Santelli explained. “It’s a great trade. Maria. You know, we’ve been to $150 before and I don’t see why it couldn’t happen again.”

“Closing Bell” co-host Scott Wapner agreed with Santelli and explained it won’t just hurt the consumer, but it would have a ripple effect across the economy into corporate profits. He explained that Alcoa (NYSE:AA), a commodity stock that one might think would benefit by this shift in investing behavior would benefit, actually would be hurt by higher energy costs.

“You know Rick, you look at what’s happening with commodity prices today, and Maria was talking about how energy stocks as one of the leadership groups,” “If you have a continued rise in say the price of crude oil, the impact is not only on the consumer at the pump with rising gas prices, but certainly the crimp on corporate profits, because margins get squeezed because of rising input costs. For example, Alcoa today got downgraded because of the issue of maybe having a disappointing first quarter even though commodity prices like aluminum have been higher and energy costs are higher as well, so it becomes more costly to produce some of these products. So, it could have a real impact on corporate profits.”

I remember $5 a gallon gas, too - it didnt dent my driving habits one bit.
    If we should give Abraham Lincoln credit for uniting America, then we should give Adolf Hitler credit for uniting Europe, as both men used the same methods for the same goals.

Staff
    Geez - any more good news? $4.00 gas will do wonders for Obama's approval ratings. hahahahaha!

The only problem with it is that it is like a kick in the dentures.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelKnightCSA View Post
    I remember $5 a gallon gas, too - it didnt dent my driving habits one bit.
    We're somewhat insulated because we don't commute and if necessary I can ride one of my motorcycles, the worst of which gets 40-plus mpgs.

Still, $5 gas will have peripheral effects - on the cost of food, for example. It will make things (already bad) that much worse....

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    Geez - any more good news? $4.00 gas will do wonders for Obama's approval ratings. hahahahaha!

The only problem with it is that it is like a kick in the dentures.
    That filthy half-caste purple-lipped fascist is just getting started.

Read up on your Principles of Kwanzaa to get a feel for where we're headed.

I'll be riding my bike to work. There is quite a few up this way that do. That being said it's still a little dangerous. Too much stuff is going on the roads these day I just hope drivers are noticing the ones on motorcycles.I do it too so my daughter can use my car for school. The things a Dad does for his daughter like riding his motorcycle so she can drive. I do what I can. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    I'll be riding my bike to work. There is quite a few up this way that do. That being said it's still a little dangerous. Too much stuff is going on the roads these day I just hope drivers are noticing the ones on motorcycles.I do it too so my daughter can use my car for school. The things a Dad does for his daughter like riding his motorcycle so she can drive. I do what I can. :-)
    Ah yes!

I paid $3.01 for premium yesterday. Granted, it was at a neighborhood station with no nearby competitors...

Chip H.