Thread: A road trip to New Jersey

A road trip to New Jersey

I took a nice little two day vacation in New Jersey's South Shore. Nice place, but I did notice a few things.

The first one came about five miles into New Jersey. The LOW FUEL light on my car came on, so I looked for a gas station. When I pulled into one, the attendant told me that full service is required by law. You cannot pump your own gas in that state. Why? Saaaafety. Oh. Fair enough, it's their state so they can make their own laws, right? But tell me...how does this enhance safety? Maybe this made sense when this law was passed back in 1949, but is it still needed today?

The second one came when I reached the Jersey Shore. I noticed that there were rock barriers running perpendicular to the shore once every 1000 or so feet. Big signs on the barriers said in essence NO CLIMBING ON ROCKS followed by a threat of a big fat fine and prison term for violators. Yeah - because we all know that wet, jagged rocks located along a shoreline known for some pretty violent undertows and rip currents is a great playground. I mean, did we really need to be told? If you're stupid enough to risk a broken ass and getting drowned when the tide comes in isn't enough of a deterrent for you, I honestly don't think a fine and jail time will make much of a difference. I made a crack to one of the beachgoers about how they should take those signs down and let Darwin do his job already. Man, if looks could kill...

The final straw came when I hit the showers in the hotel room - you guessed it, low flow showerheads that have exactly jack for water pressure and take forever to get you clean. Conservation. Think of the Earth and all that. You can bet your last Confederate dollar that Al Gore and Nancy Pelosi don't have to deal with this in their OWN homes.

Sigh...so there it is. I take a vacation to get away from the nanny state and it still follows me. Next time I go to New Jersey, remind me to fill the gas tank BEFORE crossing into that state.
    If we should give Abraham Lincoln credit for uniting America, then we should give Adolf Hitler credit for uniting Europe, as both men used the same methods for the same goals.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RebelKnightCSA View Post
    I took a nice little two day vacation in New Jersey's South Shore. Nice place, but I did notice a few things.

The first one came about five miles into New Jersey. The LOW FUEL light on my car came on, so I looked for a gas station. When I pulled into one, the attendant told me that full service is required by law. You cannot pump your own gas in that state. Why? Saaaafety. Oh. Fair enough, it's their state so they can make their own laws, right? But tell me...how does this enhance safety? Maybe this made sense when this law was passed back in 1949, but is it still needed today?

The second one came when I reached the Jersey Shore. I noticed that there were rock barriers running perpendicular to the shore once every 1000 or so feet. Big signs on the barriers said in essence NO CLIMBING ON ROCKS followed by a threat of a big fat fine and prison term for violators. Yeah - because we all know that wet, jagged rocks located along a shoreline known for some pretty violent undertows and rip currents is a great playground. I mean, did we really need to be told? If you're stupid enough to risk a broken ass and getting drowned when the tide comes in isn't enough of a deterrent for you, I honestly don't think a fine and jail time will make much of a difference. I made a crack to one of the beachgoers about how they should take those signs down and let Darwin do his job already. Man, if looks could kill...

The final straw came when I hit the showers in the hotel room - you guessed it, low flow showerheads that have exactly jack for water pressure and take forever to get you clean. Conservation. Think of the Earth and all that. You can bet your last Confederate dollar that Al Gore and Nancy Pelosi don't have to deal with this in their OWN homes.

Sigh...so there it is. I take a vacation to get away from the nanny state and it still follows me. Next time I go to New Jersey, remind me to fill the gas tank BEFORE crossing into that state.

Noooo joisey is an armpit. A nexus of Yankee asshole-dom.

The gas pump thing is a way to screw motorists (much higher fuel costs) and provide make-work for the gas station flunkeys.

A few megatons, judiciously placed, would really spruce the place up...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post

The gas pump thing is a way to screw motorists (much higher fuel costs) and provide make-work for the gas station flunkeys.

A few megatons, judiciously placed, would really spruce the place up...
    It aint exactly Dixie, but it is still a nice place. The people are friendly and I liked the boardwalk - very quiet and placid. That part about NJ drivers being aggressive is a stereotype - I spent about four hours on NJ roads (yes, including the turnpike) and tailgaters do abound, but then again I never felt unduly threatened. In fact, the only driver who cut me off and flipped me off had a Pennsylvania license tag.

I wouldnt live there, but I would return someday.
    If we should give Abraham Lincoln credit for uniting America, then we should give Adolf Hitler credit for uniting Europe, as both men used the same methods for the same goals.

It aint exactly Dixie, but it is still a nice place. The people are friendly and I liked the boardwalk - very quiet and placid. That part about NJ drivers being aggressive is a stereotype - I spent about four hours on NJ roads (yes, including the turnpike) and tailgaters do abound, but then again I never felt unduly threatened. In fact, the only driver who cut me off and flipped me off had a Pennsylvania license tag.

I should clarify: Virtually any overpopulated urban/suburban area is for all practical purposes "the North" today. That includes Apelanta, for example. The rural/not-densely populated areas (irrespective of which part of the country) are where the attitudes and style of life that most resembles "the South" can be found.

Fundamentally, I think Jefferson was right when he observed that what he called republican government (that is, small and limited government) can only survive on the relatively small scale. When government is connected to - that is, responsible to - a relatively small population of people, many of whom know one another and almost all of whom share common interests, etc., it is accountable and it remains under control. But when you have a "mass" of humanity spread over a continent - all ruled by a remote central authority - tyranny is inevitable.

Dammit! I hate New Jersey! Their people come to Pennsylvania on the weekends expecting everyone to cater to them. I hate driving on their roads. Toll roads abound, to get around them you have to travel on the state roads. They aren't like the state roads in PA, with their damn 4 and 5 lanes, 4 million traffic lights, and annoying jug handles. I hate going there, the drivers are aggressive and they are idiots who don't pay attention. I find the people of NJ to be snobby and annoying.

I also hate the mandatory self serve, but I don't care that much because the gas tax is lower than in PA, so the price is lower. (Almost everyone's gas tax is lower than PA's).

Quote Originally Posted by dieseleverything View Post
    Dammit! I hate New Jersey! Their people come to Pennsylvania on the weekends expecting everyone to cater to them. I hate driving on their roads. Toll roads abound, to get around them you have to travel on the state roads. They aren't like the state roads in PA, with their damn 4 and 5 lanes, 4 million traffic lights, and annoying jug handles. I hate going there, the drivers are aggressive and they are idiots who don't pay attention. I find the people of NJ to be snobby and annoying.

I also hate the mandatory self serve, but I don't care that much because the gas tax is lower than in PA, so the price is lower. (Almost everyone's gas tax is lower than PA's).
    That whole area just smells; it's a blighted, ugly place: decrepit rowhouses, strip malls, seedy everything.

America's ass cancer began in Nooo Yoik City; it spread from there to the lymph nodes of the country (major cities) and now the country is terminal....

That whole area just smells; it's a blighted, ugly place: decrepit rowhouses, strip malls, seedy everything.

America's ass cancer began in Nooo Yoik City; it spread from there to the lymph nodes of the country (major cities) and now the country is terminal....
    NJ is the crotch of the universe.

Newark & Camden are some of the most crime ridden cities in the US.

NJ can't support it's sleazy self and corrupt government. Soon they will be bankrupt - just like NY and CA.

Don't call me asshole-dom! j/k

And no, Jersey is not the armpit. Norfolk, Virginia is the armpit!

Yeah, that is true about the increasing employment thing by having the pump attendants. That was one of the first things I questioned when I lived in Jersey. My grandfather still lives there and has been there all my life.

If I had anything good to say at all about the place, um.. it would be nothing.

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.