Thread: Craigs List Win!

Craigs List Win!

An ad someone posted, trying to sell their Ford Focus.

But you wanna know the best reason to buy this car for your kid?

Itís slow as shit. You donít have to worry about speeding tickets or accidents in this baby.
    NSFW (language)
    http://semo.craigslist.org/cto/1672654758.html

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    An ad someone posted, trying to sell their Ford Focus.

NSFW (language)
    http://semo.craigslist.org/cto/1672654758.html
    Well, not really...

There's no such thing as a slow car anymore. Hasn't been for several years. At least, nothing like back in the day when there really were slow cars!

Here's what I mean:

There isn't a single new/late model car out there not capable of reaching 60 mph in under 12 seconds (most, including the Focus, are well into the 8s or 9s) and easily reaching triple digit speeds.

Eighty, 90 mph is no sweat.

Many "economy" cars will do 120-plus, given a little time.

More than enough to get into Big Time trouble, if you're stupid or reckless or just plain not a good driver.

Now, "back in the day," a slow car such as the Old Beetle or maybe a Chevette needed close to 30 seconds to reach 60 mph and its top speed, all out, under ideal conditions and in perfect tune, was under 90 mph. And it was damn hard to reach anywhere near that speed, too.

These cars were out breath and paralytically slow over 70 mph. Floor it and nothing - except noise - happened. Maybe if it was flat and you had the wind at your back, the speedo would eventually creep up a little. But not much and it took time.

The Focus is nothing like this.

Fact is, it's quicker and has a higher top speed than a mid-late '70s V-8 Caprice Classic or Camaro (non-Z28).

"It’ll bring a smile to your face too, to know he’s rolling around looking like a faggot in a Ford Focus."

This is pretty funny for a Craigslist ad. Slower than most new cars, but like Eric says not as slow as "slow cars" used to be.

I flagged it as "Best of Craigslist" haha.

Quote Originally Posted by dieseleverything View Post
    "Itíll bring a smile to your face too, to know heís rolling around looking like a faggot in a Ford Focus."

This is pretty funny for a Craigslist ad. Slower than most new cars, but like Eric says not as slow as "slow cars" used to be.

I flagged it as "Best of Craigslist" haha.
    There's even an SVT version of the Focus that's pretty damn quick!

I don't know why this guy hates the Focus so much. The ad's funny - but the car's not nearly as awful as he says it is...

To a 16 year old kid?
    He'll be thinking: "I'll be a virgin until I'm 25 in this car"

Chip H.

A few years ago, while listening to my Scanner. I heard a County Mountie talking to one of his Buddies about being in pursuit of a Red Ford Focus going South on Highway 97. These guys are driving Ford Crown Vic's, and I thought they had some balls under the hood. Come to find out, the Focus was leaving them in the dust at 120 MPH. I just couldn't believe that one of those things could go that fast. And the Cop said he could not stay with it. They finally found it, on a country road, nothing wrong with it. They guess the driver had someone pick them up and just left the car. So I guess they can be made to go. I never found out if they found the driver, or if the car was stolen, or what was going on that night...

To a 16 year old kid?
    He'll be thinking: "I'll be a virgin until I'm 25 in this car"

Chip H.
    Why?

Ok, the Focus isn't a Corvette or BMW 3 Series. But it's not an embarrassing car - is it?

Now, if we were talking a Yugo, or an old Plymouth Champ, or something like that... yeah. I can see the hate.

But I've never heard the Focus being denounced as something especially pathetic or awful.

Quote Originally Posted by J. ZIMM View Post
    A few years ago, while listening to my Scanner. I heard a County Mountie talking to one of his Buddies about being in pursuit of a Red Ford Focus going South on Highway 97. These guys are driving Ford Crown Vic's, and I thought they had some balls under the hood. Come to find out, the Focus was leaving them in the dust at 120 MPH. I just couldn't believe that one of those things could go that fast. And the Cop said he could not stay with it. They finally found it, on a country road, nothing wrong with it. They guess the driver had someone pick them up and just left the car. So I guess they can be made to go. I never found out if they found the driver, or if the car was stolen, or what was going on that night...
    Bingo!

The CV is a nice stately car but it is a dog - even the "police interceptor" version. Ask any cop. True story:

My neighbor down the road is a VA state cop. He drives a Vic. He has told me flat out that he doesn't even bother turning around when a sport bike passes him doing 80 or 90 on our isolated country roads - because experience has shown him it's a waste of his time to even try. By the time he turns the Vic around and starts his "pursuit," the sport bike will be miles away and gone.

This is one reason why many departments have switched to the Charger - and are licking their lips at the prospect of Taurus SHO LEs...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Why?

Ok, the Focus isn't a Corvette or BMW 3 Series. But it's not an embarrassing car - is it?

Now, if we were talking a Yugo, or an old Plymouth Champ, or something like that... yeah. I can see the hate.

But I've never heard the Focus being denounced as something especially pathetic or awful.
    You're in your what, late 30's? To you, 'sensible' beats 'flashy'. To a 16 year old boy, flashy wins every time.

In decreasing order of attractiveness to a teenaged boy:

- Any Italian exotic (as-if!)
    - Camaro, Corvette
    - Mustang GT
    - any Mercedes, BMW, Audi, or Lexus
    - Jeep Wrangler (2 door)
    - Honda Civic Si,
    - Any Scion
    -
    - [skip some]
    -
    - Ford Focus
    - Any Saturn sedan
    - Any minivan or other "mommy mobile"

Chip H.

I know - why don't you conduct a survey?

If there's an auto-shop at the local high school, ask the instructor if you can hand out a quiz.

Chip H.

I know - why don't you conduct a survey?

If there's an auto-shop at the local high school, ask the instructor if you can hand out a quiz.

Chip H.
    I did that once. They wanted my Ragtop.