Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2010 VW Golf

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    If you can, take some pictures - would love to see it!
    My camera seems to be out of whack, but I found out the back story. It's a one-owner car, owned by the VW service manager, and he took possession of it as soon as it came off the transporter.

And I bought a car today. Same car I've got now, just three years newer and a whole lot redder. But I have to wait for it to come in.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel View Post
    My camera seems to be out of whack, but I found out the back story. It's a one-owner car, owned by the VW service manager, and he took possession of it as soon as it came off the transporter.

And I bought a car today. Same car I've got now, just three years newer and a whole lot redder. But I have to wait for it to come in.
    Congrats!

Did you buy the DSG?

PS: A few years back, I was friendly with a Pontiac dealer. The guy was a real car nut and had, over the years, bought (and then mothballed) several Pontiacs he thought would eventually be historic/collectible - including a '79 10th Anniversary Trans-Am, one of the very last to have the 400 cube V-8 and 4-speed manual transmission.

He would display it (and other cars) on the showroom floor from time to time.

Unfortunately, we went out of business and I have no idea what became of all those cars...

Did you buy the DSG?
    Of course not!

New car has arrived!

There is no category in which the 2010 GTI is not a significant improvement over the 2007 one. I think the springs on the new one are only 0.9" lower than the old one, but there's no impression of it being a "tall car" anymore. It feels lighter and more nimble, all the controls are tighter, more than just what could be accounted for with 25K miles worth of wear, they've changed the feel of everything for the better.

There is no category in which the 2010 GTI is not a significant improvement over the 2007 one. I think the springs on the new one are only 0.9" lower than the old one, but there's no impression of it being a "tall car" anymore. It feels lighter and more nimble, all the controls are tighter, more than just what could be accounted for with 25K miles worth of wear, they've changed the feel of everything for the better.
    Guess what they just dropped off for me....

Guess what they just dropped off for me....
    DSG or manual?

2-Dr or 4?

What color?

DSG or manual?

2-Dr or 4?

What color?
    Charcoal grey w/six speed. Coupe.

It flies!
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you get a chance to give VWoA some feedback - tell them to lose the "cheese-slicer" wheels.

Chip H.

I'm not fond of the Cuisinart wheels either, and both of mine have had them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
    I first visited the US in 1978 & have made half-a-dozen more trips since then. A conundrum I still haven't found the answer to is why Americans demand so much power to drive so slowly!
    One reason being that it is more restful to drive long distances in a car with an engine that is turning at only 2,000 rpm at 75 mph compared with a smaller engined car that would probably run at higher revs.
    Trevor

Quote Originally Posted by tcolby View Post
    One reason being that it is more restful to drive long distances in a car with an engine that is turning at only 2,000 rpm at 75 mph compared with a smaller engined car that would probably run at higher revs.
    With overdrive gearing, most any late-model car will cruise at very moderate RPM at US highway speeds of 65-70 mph. None struggle or feel/sound as though they are getting close to their maximum speed. Most will easily run to 80-90 mph, which is considerably faster than is typical for the flow of traffic on American highways.

Even economy-type cars have probably 30-40 percent more power/capability than is actually used by typical American drivers.

Today, coming home in the GTI - and running 60 mph up Bent Mountain (posted speed limit 35-40) I was literally blowing every other car off the road.

Does your GTI test car have the Bi-Xenon headlights?

If so, do you know, or can you find an answer, to a question about them? Why is it that when the Bi-Xenon headlights are first switched on, they go through a little "Vegas" or "ballyhoo" display where the light beam moves left and right before aiming straight ahead? Is there a technical reason for this, or is it just for show?

I don't understand why they should move at all, since they're not steerable lights. In the 2007 GTI, they just went from pointing at the ground to pointing straight ahead, but the 2010 car has a much more elaborate procedure or routine that it goes through.