Thread: Back on a bike

Back on a bike

After nearly a year of being bikeless, I finally had the time and money to get another bike. I was looking for something like a GL1100 Goldwing but came across a 1980 Kawasaki KZ1000E. This is pretty much what the police bought to catch the rice rockets back in the day. I've torn it down to go through the carburetors and correct some other ridablity problems but when I test rode it, it was like my old Concours (GTR1000 for our European friends) was back under me. I also need to put something in the muffler housing as it has set off my neighbors car alarm but I always thought that thing was too skittish anyway. I haven't even riden it much and have had several offers to buy it. While I'd still prefer to have a Goldwing, either a GL1100 or I'd swap my Mercedes for a later 1500 or early 1800, I'm happy with this. It doesn't cook my legs like my old Connie did.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    After nearly a year of being bikeless, I finally had the time and money to get another bike. I was looking for something like a GL1100 Goldwing but came across a 1980 Kawasaki KZ1000E. This is pretty much what the police bought to catch the rice rockets back in the day. I've torn it down to go through the carburetors and correct some other ridablity problems but when I test rode it, it was like my old Concours (GTR1000 for our European friends) was back under me. I also need to put something in the muffler housing as it has set off my neighbors car alarm but I always thought that thing was too skittish anyway. I haven't even riden it much and have had several offers to buy it. While I'd still prefer to have a Goldwing, either a GL1100 or I'd swap my Mercedes for a later 1500 or early 1800, I'm happy with this. It doesn't cook my legs like my old Connie did.
    Excellent!

Your bike is very similar to my '76 Kz900; basically the same bike, actually.

Yours probably has dual discs up front and may have a disc brake in back - a major improvement over my bike's single disc/front and drum brake rear.

One of the "ups" about these bikes is the big Kaw DOHC four. Though it's not high-powered by current standards, the appx. 81-100 hp these things make (in stock form) is plenty adequate for spirited riding and the torque output is excellent. They're also very rugged and reliable - and parts are still fairly easy to get.

Johnny's Vintage Cycle is a good source; see also:
    The Old Kaw Man (used parts)
    The Rice Paddy
    Sudco
    ZI Enterprises

I have a bunch of contacts if you ever need help finding something...

Congrats on getting back on two wheels. I know the feeling of going bikeless for a while. Back in the early 90s I had made a mistake on the tax form that sets up your withholdings and ended up oweing the IRS a significant chunk of change at tax time. Consequentially, there went my 89 Harley to pay that off. After going the whole year bikeless I managed to land a job that paid more than I was makeing before and the first thing I did was get another bike. A mans gotta have his priorities ya know.....

Another biker is able to return to the fold - yep! it's good news day. For a good retro bike the KZ1 is a nice choice, plenty of grunt and, as the picture below shows, it is a bike that (apparently) has a lot to offer.

I hope you enjoy many happy miles on your new acquisition, Grouch.

Ken.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Back on a bike is always a good thing when someone has been off them for awhile. Enjoy ! ! !
    Sherry
    Never lost, always on an adventure !