Thread: iPad means the end of in-car DVD systems

iPad means the end of in-car DVD systems

Honda wants $2147 for the I-VES (In-vehicle entertainment system) for the Ridgeline pickup truck. It consists of a ~7 inch drop-down display and DVD player, so you can keep the booster-seat crew mesmerized as you drive.

However, you can buy two 64Gb Apple iPads at $699 each ($829 if you spring for the 3G wireless model). Potential savings: $749 or $489, which isn't pocket change.

Not only does the iPad come with a ten inch screen for watching movies you downloaded from iTunes, you can also load games on it. Even better, it comes with headphones, so you don't have to listen to the 10th repeat of Scooby Doo "Foul Play in Funland".

Best of all, since you bought two iPads with the money you saved by not going with Honda's system, there won't be any fights over what to watch. Oh, and the kids can take the iPad with them, making your hotel stay blissful, too

The car makers had better either arrange a deal with Apple to resell the iPad, or get out of the in-car entertainment business altogether.

Chip H.
    Last edited by chiph; 04-25-2010 at 08:14 PM.

Better yet buy neither.....

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dieseleverything View Post
    Better yet buy neither.....
    Amen.

I feel like a Stranger in a Strange land.

I have zero interest in any of this stuff. Maybe it's because I don't watch that much TV. Maybe it's because I grew up in the '80s, before the Rise of the Machines - and all this electronic stuff just doesn't do anything for me.

I don't get it...

You don't have kids.
    Well, neither do I, but my sister swears by the cheapie DVD system that hangs off the back of the headrest. It lets her drive with at least some peace.

Chip H.

Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    You don't have kids.
    Well, neither do I, but my sister swears by the cheapie DVD system that hangs off the back of the headrest. It lets her drive with at least some peace.

Chip H.
    What the hell is wrong with books? Or otherwise occupying time?

If we had kids, they would not be constantly gaping at one Pixar movie after the next, guzzling sodas and growing man tits before they hit puberty...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Amen.

I feel like a Stranger in a Strange land.

I have zero interest in any of this stuff. Maybe it's because I don't watch that much TV. Maybe it's because I grew up in the '80s, before the Rise of the Machines - and all this electronic stuff just doesn't do anything for me.

I don't get it...

Two words, Duct Tape. That'll keep the little darlings quiet. When I was growing up, major options were power steering, power brakes and (gasp) a radio, usually just AM too. I grew up in the 60's and early 70's and a lot of cars were still running on 6 volts. Power windows were fairly rare and some ran on hydraulics rather than electricity. When I ran a salvage yard in the early 80's, I scrapped a lot of Cadillacs that had crank windows.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    Two words, Duct Tape. That'll keep the little darlings quiet. When I was growing up, major options were power steering, power brakes and (gasp) a radio, usually just AM too. I grew up in the 60's and early 70's and a lot of cars were still running on 6 volts. Power windows were fairly rare and some ran on hydraulics rather than electricity. When I ran a salvage yard in the early 80's, I scrapped a lot of Cadillacs that had crank windows.
    The first car I actually drove, although not with a license, but only on our own land, was my Dad's 1953 Chrysler Crown Imperial.
    It had a big V-8, power steering and brakes, power windows, power seat. AM radio, power antenna. It was considered a "luxury" car in the manner of a big Buick, which was known as the "Doctor's Car."

After the '53, my Dad bought a 1957 Imperial which was the car in which I passed my first Driver's test.

1953 Chrysler Imperial

Prior to that car my Dad had a 1947 Plymouth, very basic car, 6-volt electrical system.

1957 Imperial
    Last edited by Mase; 04-26-2010 at 12:46 PM.

One of the first cars I drove was a '77 Camaro - it had a speedo and a fuel gauge and an AM/FM single speaker radio. That's it.

It was a great car to get your hands on as a 16-year-old. I didn't feel deprived because it didn't have GPS or flat-screen displays.

When I was a kid, my sister and I would be taken on road trips in the back of the big Oldsmobile my parents owned at the time. We'd occupy ourselves by reading, counting blue cars or some such.

This business of kids having to constantly be watching videos (usuallly those awful Pixar things) is a portent of an even more vacuous generation-to-come.

They should all be smashed into very small pieces....

Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    What the hell is wrong with books? Or otherwise occupying time?

If we had kids, they would not be constantly gaping at one Pixar movie after the next, guzzling sodas and growing man tits before they hit puberty...
    When I was a kid, I used to just watch other traffic as we passed it. Count the number of red cars and things like that. A lot of the time I watched the speedometer. I would spend time talking with my parents. Things were different.

Today, parents would rather give their kids a big gulp, plug them into the DVD player and let their minds rot on Pixar and Pepsi just so they can enjoy piece and quiet on today's overstressed highways.

Frankly, the price of gas is too high to allow long family road trips, so the in-car DVD player and all that rot may die on its own with or without the Ipad.

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    When I was a kid, I used to just watch other traffic as we passed it. Count the number of red cars and things like that. A lot of the time I watched the speedometer. I would spend time talking with my parents. Things were different.

Today, parents would rather give their kids a big gulp, plug them into the DVD player and let their minds rot on Pixar and Pepsi just so they can enjoy piece and quiet on today's overstressed highways.

Frankly, the price of gas is too high to allow long family road trips, so the in-car DVD player and all that rot may die on its own with or without the Ipad.
    Among the ironies of modern parenthood:

Parents are stressed and frazzled; they want peace and quiet - so they distract the kids with DVD entertainment systems and the like.

But they're frazzled - to a great extent - because they need two incomes to support the $35k minivan with the drop-down DVD player....

I'm just going to throw this out there..

Fuck the ipad, iphone, ipod, and all other gadgets that are supremely distracting, annoying, and unnecessary.

I think they are neat and all, but I am just sick of seeing them all over the place.

People are like cyborgs with all this crap attached to them now.

By the way, I have an ipod! HA It's only for the gym though!

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    I'm just going to throw this out there..

Fuck the ipad, iphone, ipod, and all other gadgets that are supremely distracting, annoying, and unnecessary.

I think they are neat and all, but I am just sick of seeing them all over the place.

People are like cyborgs with all this crap attached to them now.

By the way, I have an ipod! HA It's only for the gym though!
    A-men!

I have an iPod, too - to drown out the Bix Noood.