Thread: Day Two, Backbone trip

Day Two, Backbone trip

Left Las Vegas, NM southbound on I-25 to I believe country road 3. This took us down through San Miguel and Villanueva. Quaint village, more Mexico than New Mexico, very picturesque. Some turns marked 10 MPH and these signs must be paid attention to. Also, with in one block, watch out for rocks, water, deer and livestock. After leaving this little valley a climb to the top, under I-40 down to Encino. Very desolate stretch, boring and hypnotic. Encin, US 60 to Mountainair and lunch at the historically registered Shaffer Hotel.

Along the way we stopped at the Abo ruins. A mission established back in the 1600's but abandoned after the Apache Indians gave them what for.

Back on 60, a jog on I-25 TO Socorro and then 60 west. Only thing of interest along there is called The Large Array, a bunch of radio telescopes listening for alians. Must have been listening to the same on as they were all pointed in the same direction

The rest of the day was spent dead heading to Springerville, AZ and our motel. Great little restaurant on the right side on the way in, Blue something or other, but great food and generous adult beverages.

Attached Images Attached Images

Did you go to the Large Array visitor center? I didn't know there was a visitor center until last week reading a guys ride report over on ADV. When I rode that road I had no idea about the Large Array stuff and when I spotted all those things I wasn't sure what to make of it. Some day I'll get back there and check out the visitor center. OK now on to read more of your ride report.
    Sherry
    Never lost, always on an adventure !

Quote Originally Posted by Ladybug View Post
    Did you go to the Large Array visitor center? I didn't know there was a visitor center until last week reading a guys ride report over on ADV. When I rode that road I had no idea about the Large Array stuff and when I spotted all those things I wasn't sure what to make of it. Some day I'll get back there and check out the visitor center. OK now on to read more of your ride report.
    And there was me thinking it was a flight of UFOs that had just landed - you sure it was just a Large Array, Sherry?

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Heck no, I'm not sure. They looked like a herd of UFOs when I saw them. Maybe the sign was just to throw us all off so we wouldn't know the little green men were getting ready to settle out there. I wonder if they brought their own motorcycles and if they prefer Kawasaki's over the other brands?
    Sherry

Did you go to the Large Array visitor center?
    =============================================
    NO, didn't stop as we didn't know it was even open to the public. Anyway we were needed in Springerville as we'd heard they had too much beer

Whew!!! Thanks for saving the rest of us from the beer flood that I'm sure would have happened if you hadn't gotten there when you did.
    Sherry