Thread: A ride to Bend Oregon

A ride to Bend Oregon

Since the Old Fart is done with his ride report I'll throw out a few pictures of my ride to Bend, Oregon last weekend. A rider hosted a GPS class down there and I decided it was a good reason to go for a ride and get in a little GPS instruction to boot.

The bike is ready.

And I hit the road. Sprague Lake is always the sign that I'm out of town and out of Spokane County. It's not a pretty lake but it is one of my landmarks and on my way home it's always and idication that I'm almost home. Plus there's a rest area on the Interstate in this area.

Uh oh, the fuel light came on. I don't know how far the bike will go once the light comes on and I hoped this wasn't going to be the day I found out.

Fueled up and back on the road. Yawnnnnnnnn this is a very boring section of Interstate 90. Ken if you want to follow along on GE I'm on I-90 just leaving Ritzville, WA and getting ready to head S. on US 395

Crossing into Oregon over the Umatilla bridge.

Even though the interstate time was less than exciting the weather was sunny.
    Sherry
    Never lost, always on an adventure !

In Oregon I hit I-84 and there are two things I dislike about riding in Oregon. The maximum speed in OR is 65 mph even on the interstates. The other thing is the laws about pumping fuel. It's the law that there is no self service however motorcyclists are allowed to put fuel into their own tank but are not allowed to take the nozzle from the pump, swipe their own credit card, or return the nozzle to the pump. You are supposed to wait for the attendant to hand you the nozzle, then you fill your tank and hand the nozzle back to the attendant. It gets annoying when you have to wait for the attendant. I try to time my fill up for the least number of fill ups in OR as possible.

On the interstate things were a bit of a drone but I did enjoy seeing a few of these.

Great big huge windmill blades

Headed here

At Biggs, Oregon I headed S. on 97 and hoped this guy didn't have friends with water to dump on me.

Yep it was a pretty boring ride to Bend but at least I was out. I got settled in and looked forward to the GPS class and a ride the next day.
    Sherry

I just made it to Bend before dark and was able to get settled in. The next morning everyone arrived at my hosts house for the GPS class. Breakfast was coffee, juice, yummy muffins and fruit and we got down to business with learning about GPSs. The class was part map and compass reading as well as GPS routing. The instructor is a member of search and rescue so he was able to give that side of how they look for lost and injured people. It was very informative.

After class we got ready to go for a ride to put what we learned into use.

And we were off riding.

One of the things we learned was if everyone is using a GPS on a ride then all the GPSs should be set up the same way or they could read different than the one next to them. We stopped to check this theory out.

We rode some more then stopped at a park to re-adjust our GPSs

Some more riding

We had a nice afternoon ride. There is some good riding to be done in the Bend area. After the ride we returned to our host's home where he treated us to a wonderful BBQ and how brew for those who wished to try some of his brew. It was a good day but I was looking forward to the next day and my ride home.
    Sherry

Before I left Bend I wanted to stop and take a picture of this post office.

I liked this post office it had it all.

While I was taking a picture of the post office the clerk/postmaster came out and was obviously very concerned about why I was taking pictures of his building. I tried to tell him I was taking the picture because I thought it was a neat place but English was not his first language and I don't think he understood what I was telling him. I decided to leave because he looked real grumpy.

It was time to ride

The mountains were showing nicely covered with clean white snow. This is the Three Sisters Mountains. The one on the far left is broken top, the other three are the three sisters.

I liked this view of the gray mountain the white mountain side by side.

The star of the show

Stopped to checkout a dinner train.

Then I headed out into the country for some riding. I was headed east from Redmond, Oregon.

I found Grizzlie, Oregon or I think I found Grizzlie the GPS said I did.

There was a very busy working cattle ranch here. Riding through felt like riding through a guantlet with cowboys and girls on both sides of the road watching as I rode through.

For a bit the road looked like this. Then it went to a patch of deep gravel with large gravel about the size of 50 cent pieces. I wasn't sure I like going into that gravel. My front tire is a dual sport tire but the back tire is a street tire and I wasn't sure how it was going to do with what I was going into. I was plesantly surprised. No pictures of the gravel since I was keeping both hands on the bars.
    Sherry

After the deep big gravel section I was pleased to get out of it just to find hard tried mud with deep ruts. Again I was keeping my hands on the bars so no pics of the nasty part but here's a picture of any easy part.

The road got a little better and I thought it was all smooth sailing until I got here. Look way up the road there and there is a wet patch.

There was a wide spot here without too many ruts so I decided it was time to walk up the road and see what's ahead before I ride up there. With being alone I decided I better not try to tackle this. If I had not been alone I would have tride it, if my legs were a little longer and I could touch ground better I would have tried it, if I had been riding the Superbug I would have tried it but out in the middle of no where alone was not the time to try something I wasn't sure of.

I was a Hat Creek Ranch, the sign said so. Ken you might be able to find that on GE, it shows on mapsource and on mapquest.

The view was nice and I did enjoy being out there.
    Sherry

After getting the bike turned around it was time to go back the way I came. On the way out the hard deep rutted dried clay didn't bother me and neither did the big deep gravel since I came in that was and knew I could do it. I did have to ride through the guantlet again but this time the cowfolks smiled and waved.

Head west toward hwy 26 the ride and views were nice.

Hwy 26 toward Antelope wasn't bad either.

The road to Clarno, Oregon was pleasant.

Bridge at Clarno

John Day Fossil Beds National Monument, Clarno Unit.

Courthouse at Fossil, OR

About this time I had to re-evalute my route since I needed fuel and stations are few and far between in Eastern Oregon. The nice thing is no matter what route you take out here there is very little traffic and the roads are fun.

Heppner, Oregon courthouse
    Sherry

A little wall art on the outside of the museum in Heppner. The museum wasn't open.

There was a couple cool things to see in the parking lot.

The road from here was filled with nice sweepers and fun riding but after a while I was back to the Umatilla bridge.

And on home I went. Here's the GPS stats for those that like numbers.
    Sherry

Quote Originally Posted by Ladybug View Post
    Uh oh, the fuel light came on. I don't know how far the bike will go once the light comes on and I hoped this wasn't going to be the day I found out.

You are taking a photo while doing 75 mph (120km for Ken) on the interstate? Do you do texting also while riding?

Good Pictures Sherry, I enjoy seeing about your rides.
    Elmo

Quote Originally Posted by Litlbike View Post
    You are taking a photo while doing 75 mph (120km for Ken) on the interstate? Do you do texting also while riding?

Aww, take it easy on her Barry, maybe her camera went off by itself after hitting a bump.

Dang, I've been doing that for years and you've just noticed? How do you think I take all those pictures all the time?

I've seen you riding down the interstate with no hands on the handlebars and you have problem with me taking one hand off the bars?

I wear my camera on a lanyard around my neck so I don't have to pull it out of the tank bag or anything and I can drop it at any time. To fuss, no muss, no problem......
    Sherry

Dang, I've been doing that for years and you've just noticed? How do you think I take all those pictures all the time?

I've seen you riding down the interstate with no hands on the handlebars and you have problem with me taking one hand off the bars?

I wear my camera on a lanyard around my neck so I don't have to pull it out of the tank bag or anything and I can drop it at any time. To fuss, no muss, no problem......

Hey come on. The only time I take my hands off the handlebars is when I'm shaving, brushing my teeth or picking my nose. What's the problem?

Hey come on. The only time I take my hands off the handlebars is when I'm shaving, brushing my teeth or picking my nose. What's the problem?
    Hmmmm, Note to self. Do not ride behind Barry as he may flick a booger at you.

I was at Hat Creek Ranch, the sign said so. Ken you might be able to find that on GE, it shows on mapsource and on mapquest.
    Yep, found it, Sherry. Some nice countryside around those parts. Glad you didn't try to ride through that mud, you would probably have made it with no problems - but! - think of all the cleaning the bike would have needed afterwards. Guess you either have cruise control or you take the piccies left handed, if I take my hand off the right hand bar the throttle snaps shut and the bike slows as quickly as a cage on the brakes.

Thanks once again for a good story and some great pictures, Sherry.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Barry, my friend, I am pleased to say that, over here in the UK, we still use good 'ole Miles Per Hour as our speed indicators. The government agencies are all trying their hardest to sneak European measurements in through the back door - in many places, such, as weights and measures, they are succeeding but, so far, MPH rules. Even the BBC, which used to be the arbiter of all things British is using these strange foreign measurements, pah! (Mind you the BBC is so politically correct and up its own backside it is now widely recognised as the official government spokes-station)

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

I wear my camera on a lanyard around my neck so I don't have to pull it out of the tank bag or anything and I can drop it at any time. To fuss, no muss, no problem
    ================================================== ===

Great ride and wonderful pics, even left handed

Even the BBC, which used to be the arbiter of all things British is using these strange foreign measurements, pah! (Mind you the BBC is so politically correct and up its own backside it is now widely recognised as the official government spokes-station)
    ===========================================

Come now, tell us how you really feel

Yes, I do take the pictures left handed. Barry just likes to try to give me a hard time any chance he gets. I love the digital age there are plenty of pictures that don't come out very good and I can just delete them.

Did local ride last weekend and was stopped by mud again. I still had to wash my bike afterwards but at least I didn't roll around in it. : )
    Sherry

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Barry, my friend, I am pleased to say that, over here in the UK, we still use good 'ole Miles Per Hour as our speed indicators. The government agencies are all trying their hardest to sneak European measurements in through the back door - in many places, such, as weights and measures, they are succeeding but, so far, MPH rules. Even the BBC, which used to be the arbiter of all things British is using these strange foreign measurements, pah! (Mind you the BBC is so politically correct and up its own backside it is now widely recognised as the official government spokes-station)

Ken.
    I guess it's all in what you're used to. I have no idea how many cubic inches my 1200GS is. How about your CBR? They tried posting distance and speeds in metric hear many years ago that died off about as quick as it started. American made truck engines are listed in both cubic inches and liters but foreign made cars are only in liters.

I guess it's all in what you're used to. I have no idea how many cubic inches my 1200GS is. How about your CBR? They tried posting distance and speeds in metric hear many years ago that died off about as quick as it started. American made truck engines are listed in both cubic inches and liters but foreign made cars are only in liters.
    Purely as a small piece of (fairly) useless information;

1 cubic inch = 16.38706 cubic centimetres.

Therefore;

600 cc = 36.614255 cubic inches

1200cc, = 73.22851 cubic inches

Now a kilometre is only five eights of a mile, this means you get more kilometres per hour than miles per hour for a given speed. Saying 'I was hitting 248 .......' sounds much braver than 'I was hittng 155........'. '248?Oh, respect man, respect.'

Knowing this we can all sleep peacefully in our beds knowing that the gods of both imperial and metric measurement are standing guard over us.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.