Thread: Kz900 valve clearance adjustment

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Kz900 valve clearance adjustment

It's about that time again....

I have about 1,500 miles on the bike since the major rebuild last fall (when I installed the big bore kit). I'm going by the OE book that recommends checking clearance on a new engine at around 1,500 miles....

An interesting thing about these older bikes, if you've ever worked on them, is how huge the shims are. And I do mean huge! They are about the size of a US quarter - compared with the aspirin sized (or smaller) shims used on more modern bikes.

It's hard to find a good selection of shims in various thicknesses, too. But luckily I saved a whole drawer of them from many years back.

I will post some pics as I go....

In my brief career as a Kawasaki/Bultaco apprentice mechanic and tool breaker, I remember this:
    KZ900 valve shim adjustment was one job that the shop owners never let anyone else do, and they would only do it on a stone cold engine, so you had to leave your bike overnight.
    They were careful and fussy, and usually managed to re-use the paper camcover gasket.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeHalloran View Post
    In my brief career as a Kawasaki/Bultaco apprentice mechanic and tool breaker, I remember this:
    KZ900 valve shim adjustment was one job that the shop owners never let anyone else do, and they would only do it on a stone cold engine, so you had to leave your bike overnight.
    They were careful and fussy, and usually managed to re-use the paper camcover gasket.
    It absolutely must be stone cold; that's key.

The actual adjustment is pretty easy (relative to a modern bike) because, as you probably know, there is much easier access, and the parts themselves are physically larger and so easier to work with.

And if you want to be double safe: A little loose is way better than too tight!