Thread: Another Tea Party tidbit....

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Another Tea Party tidbit....

About a month ago, I attended a rally (Roanoke) and went ahead and joined the Tea Party ($25).

But so far, all I get out of it is batch e-mails of the sort you'd get if you were contributing money to the GOP.

I've been trying, for example, to find out whether there is a local Tea Party branch in my county - in order to get active/get others involved. I have sent queries to the Tea Party e-mail addresses listed in their batch release but received no reply. And the Tea Party website has no Forum or BBS so ordinary members can't communicate with one another. All they can do is eat the spoon-fed pap that whoever runs the web site decides to shovel their way.

It's pretty disappointing.

The Tea Party appears to be basically another GOP controlled fundraising and rah-rah tool.

Staff
    Tea parties are garbage. In 2009, politicians were not allowed to speak at the events. Now they are running the damned things. They have become infested with cockroaches.

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    Tea parties are garbage. In 2009, politicians were not allowed to speak at the events. Now they are running the damned things. They have become infested with cockroaches.
    Excellent point.

The one I attended in Roanoke was basically a cheerleading-fest for a Republican running for city council. (I continued to get "vote" e-mails for this guy under the Tea Party aegis until a few days ago; the guy lost his race.)

I'm getting depressed again.

By and large, most Americans are either supportive of or indifferent to what's going on. Or they're so addled they don't have any basis for formulating an effective, principled position on issues such as the proper role (and limits) of government.

The best they can do is complain their taxes are "too high" and there's "too much" government - except when it comes to taxes that fund what they want (for example, more skools for their kyds) and when it comes to government that does the things they like (such as "fightin' fer freedom in eyerak," etc.)

Bottom line: I think a majority of Americans are statists. They may be left-leaning statists (Democrats) or right-leaning statists (Republicans) but they're statists - and don't object to government as such. They just want it to work for their agenda.

That's why liberty is dying - and probably doomed.

I doubt 25 percent of currently alive Americans would support the American Revolution if they got time-traveled back to 1776.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    About a month ago, I attended a rally (Roanoke) and went ahead and joined the Tea Party ($25).

But so far, all I get out of it is batch e-mails of the sort you'd get if you were contributing money to the GOP.

I've been trying, for example, to find out whether there is a local Tea Party branch in my county - in order to get active/get others involved. I have sent queries to the Tea Party e-mail addresses listed in their batch release but received no reply. And the Tea Party website has no Forum or BBS so ordinary members can't communicate with one another. All they can do is eat the spoon-fed pap that whoever runs the web site decides to shovel their way.

It's pretty disappointing.

The Tea Party appears to be basically another GOP controlled fundraising and rah-rah tool.

Does that surprise you? The few people who are really trying to rein in big government don't have anything to do with the Tea Party movement. I've said before it's just a tool to remove money from your wallet. Usually people who don't have much to spare and it's going to the fat cats pockets.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    Does that surprise you? The few people who are really trying to rein in big government don't have anything to do with the Tea Party movement. I've said before it's just a tool to remove money from your wallet. Usually people who don't have much to spare and it's going to the fat cats pockets.
    Unfortunately, it doesn't.

I'd heard the Tea Party movement had been co-opted by (and become a creature of) the GOP.

Guess that's true.

Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Excellent point.

The one I attended in Roanoke was basically a cheerleading-fest for a Republican running for city council. (I continued to get "vote" e-mails for this guy under the Tea Party aegis until a few days ago; the guy lost his race.)

I'm getting depressed again.

By and large, most Americans are either supportive of or indifferent to what's going on. Or they're so addled they don't have any basis for formulating an effective, principled position on issues such as the proper role (and limits) of government.

The best they can do is complain their taxes are "too high" and there's "too much" government - except when it comes to taxes that fund what they want (for example, more skools for their kyds) and when it comes to government that does the things they like (such as "fightin' fer freedom in eyerak," etc.)

Bottom line: I think a majority of Americans are statists. They may be left-leaning statists (Democrats) or right-leaning statists (Republicans) but they're statists - and don't object to government as such. They just want it to work for their agenda.

That's why liberty is dying - and probably doomed.

I doubt 25 percent of currently alive Americans would support the American Revolution if they got time-traveled back to 1776.
    I heard that fewer than 20 percent of Americans back then supported the American Revolution. Liberty has always been a fight of the few.

I have always had a pretty low opinion of the American people's voting habits. After all, 98 percent of them voted for McCockroach or O'Stupid in the last election. Fuck them, fuck them all.

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    I heard that fewer than 20 percent of Americans back then supported the American Revolution. Liberty has always been a fight of the few.

I have always had a pretty low opinion of the American people's voting habits. After all, 98 percent of them voted for McCockroach or O'Stupid in the last election. Fuck them, fuck them all.
    Napoleon thought only a small minority of humans could handle liberty; the rest - the majority - were basically cattle who required (and often, wanted) authoritarian control.

I think he was right...

One of the reasons the American Revolution succeeded was that, at the time, there was large body of fiercely independent people - many of whom had recently escaped the suffocating statism of Europe (or whose parents had). They were very self-sufficient, resourceful and capable of dealing with life on their own - and wanted to.

Modern Americans, in contrast, have no clue about real freedom - and I suspect, would not want it if it were offered to them. Their docility (accepting, for example, the "security" rigmarole that is presented to them) is indeed cattle-like. Being taken care of is far more important to them than taking care of themselves.

So long as they have fuuuuuhhhhhhtball and American Idol and can stuff their faces with fast food, they're happy.