Thread: Just a question...

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Just a question...

Where was Jesus, say, 50,000 years ago?

Human beings have around at least that long.

So, for the majority of the time humans have existed - and for the vast majority of humans who have ever lived - there was no "good news," no "salvation."

Does that jibe with the notion that Christianity is the One True Faith?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post

So, for the majority of the time humans have existed - and for the vast majority of humans who have ever lived - there was no "good news," no "salvation."

Not really - it just shows that it took a long time for people to cotton on to the fact that a 'con artist' needs little other than a glib tongue and a good memory. The various churches have been cashing in on the idea ever since.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Not really - it just shows that it took a long time for people to cotton on to the fact that a 'con artist' needs little other than a glib tongue and a good memory. The various churches have been cashing in on the idea ever since.

Ken.
    It seems to me that many religious people have a limited time-sense. The fact that the universe is billions of years old, that the planet is itself vastly ancient, doesn't appear to have any reality to them. They think in terms of, at most, a few thousand years as "everything."

I remember, as a kid, marveling at rock strata and trying to imagine the ancient seas that once existed; how these became the tops of mountains, only to be eroded into gentle hills over the immensity of geologic time. And, that tens of thousands of years before the pyramids of Egypt went up, men walked this Earth - surely looking into the night sky with wonder and awe...

That which has come into being since the Old and New Testaments were written represents at most a small fraction of human history - and is a mere speck in terms of the history of this planet on which we live...

The fundies think the world is only 6000 years old, so really it's only 4,000 years sans Jesus.

Chip H.

PS. Want to see a photo I took of limestone that has seashells embedded in it? It's certainly older than 6000 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post

First off the earth is only 5,000 years old. You see god made all those fossils, just to test our faith.

Even if there were humans 50,000 years ago - worshiping trees, phalluses, etc, well they were just plain fu<ked, and all went to hell.
    Last edited by dBrong; 05-15-2010 at 04:35 PM.

Not all nominal Christians believe that the earth and all of the life on it has been here for only 6,000 years or so. (Those who do believe such are often referred to as "YEC"s [Young Earth Christians] or "Young Earthers.")

I realize that all or most of the posters in this thread likely consider the Bible to be mythology, but I will point out that the Genesis account of creation allows for a very old universe and planet Earth.

The "beginning" of Gen. 1:1 ("In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth") is chronologically undefined, meaning that the universe and our planet could be billions of years old without any conflict involving Genesis. There is a prevalent misconception that the subsequent seven "days" of creation include the creation of the universe and the planet, but actually what the account indicates is that they were the time period during which God prepared the already existent Earth for life and created terrestrial life.

That the "days" were not literally 24-hours each in length is obvious from the fact that the basis for a 24-hour day--the rotation of the Earth on its axis in relation to the light from the sun--did not exist until the 4th creative "day."

Eric:

for the majority of the time humans have existed - and for the vast majority of humans who have ever lived - there was no "good news," no "salvation."

That's an excellent question. Again, assuming that you put no stock in the credibility of the Bible (and respecting your right to such a viewpoint), the Biblical answer to your question is that God intends to give everyone who existed prior to Christ's appearance on Earth--as well as those afterwords who never even heard of him--an opportunity to choose. (cf. Acts 17:30)

Your next question might logically be "How is that possible if they're dead?" The Biblical answer to that is that he will bring them back to life ("resurrect" them) in order to give them that chance. (cf. John 5:28,29)

Sorry for the Bible-thumping here, and this truly isn't meant to convince you of the Bible's/Christianty's veracity, but rather to make you aware that at least the issue you raise is not left without consideration by the faith.
    Last edited by KentAZ; 06-20-2010 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KentAZ View Post
    Not all nominal Christians believe that the earth and all of the life on it has been here for only 6,000 years or so. (Those who do believe such are often referred to as "YEC"s [Young Earth Christians] or "Young Earthers.")

I realize that all or most of the posters in this thread likely consider the Bible to be mythology, but I will point out that the Genesis account of creation allows for a very old universe and planet Earth.

The "beginning" of Gen. 1:1 ("In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth") is chronologically undefined, meaning that the universe and our planet could be billions of years old without any conflict involving Genesis. There is a prevalent misconception that the subsequent seven "days" of creation include the creation of the universe and the planet, but actually what the account indicates is that they were the time period during which God prepared the already existent Earth for life and created terrestrial life.

That the "days" were not literally 24-hours each in length is obvious from the fact that the basis for a 24-hour day--the rotation of the Earth on its axis in relation to the light from the sun--did not exist until the 4th creative "day."

Eric:

That's an excellent question. Again, assuming that you put no stock in the credibility of the Bible (and respecting your right to such a viewpoint), the Biblical answer to your question is that God intends to give everyone who existed prior to Christ's appearance on Earth--as well as those afterwords who never even heard of him--an opportunity to choose. (cf. Acts 17:30)

Your next question might logically be "How is that possible if they're dead?" The Biblical answer to that is that he will bring them back to life ("resurrect" them) in order to give them that chance. (cf. John 5:28,29)

Sorry for the Bible-thumping here, and this truly isn't meant to convince you of the Bible's/Christianty's veracity, but rather to make you aware that at least the issue you raise is not left without consideration by the faith.
    Yes, I'm familiar with the explanation - but it strikes me as very dubious; a kind of (and I mean no offense) lawyerly pettifoggery.

Religious belief, as you obviously well-know, is vastly more ancient than Christianity or any of the Abrahamic religions.

For thousands of years prior to the Old Testament's existence, there was the Egyptian pantheon, and older religious systems still.

Does it seem reasonable that the "right" faith would just appear, relatively recently, and only to a select (and very small) group of "chosen" people in one corner of the world?

Would it not seem more reasonable for God (the Christian God - or whomever the universal God might be) to provide all of humanity with the same "good news" at about the same time?

One of the aspects of Judeo-Christianity (and Islam) that has always disturbed me is the tribal, in-group basis of the theology. We're "chosen" - special in the sight of God.

This chauvinism is particularly dangerous because the people involved believe they are not merely the proverbial master race but have the backing of the creator of the universe.

Humanity could use a does of humility; it'd do us all a world of good!