Thread: Cop Shoots Unarmed Motorcyclist in Back

Cop Shoots Unarmed Motorcyclist in Back

The video:

Ottawa Hills Police Officer Thomas White said that he believed a stopped motorcyclist was reaching for a weapon, an action that he testified prompted him to fire his gun.

The officer testified in Lucas County Common Pleas Court Thursday on the fourth day of his criminal trial. A part-time police officer for the More.. village, Officer White is charged with felonious assault with a gun specification for the May 23, 2009, shooting of Michael McCloskey, Jr.

If convicted, he faces up to 11 years in prison.

Officer White testified that he had been following two motorcyclists westbound on Indian Road at about 2:15 a.m. when he said he noticed several traffic violations. He said he initiated a stop after the two men rode off from a stop at a high rate of speed.

Labeling the situation as a "high risk vehicle stop," Officer White testified that it would be "unusual" for someone to turn around when he shouted a command to them and so he believed Mr. McCloskey was reaching for a weapon.

"It appeared as if he was reaching for a weapon," he said. "I feared for my life so I fired one shot."

Officer White is the last of the defense witnesses to testify. He acknowledged during questioning from Assistant County Prosecutor Jeff Lingo that he would not know whether Mr. McCloskey knew an officer was behind him or whether he heard Officer White's command.

Officer White is accused of shooting Mr. McCloskey once in the back, severing his spine. The incident was recorded on the dashboard camera in the officer's patrol car.

The 14-minute video was played for the jury of nine women and three men.

In response to the case presented by the defense, assistant prosecutors called a rebuttal witness to testify as an expert. W. Ken Katsaris, a law enforcement consultant from Florida, testified about what he saw in the video recording of the incident.

In law enforcement for 48 years, Mr. Katsaris said that he only saw one traffic violation on the video when the motorcyclists sped up just prior to Officer White activating his lights and sirens. He also testified that he saw no indicators throughout the preceding moments that would "cause concern to an officer."

Mr. Katsaris testified that after Mr. McCloskey stopped his motorcycle, Officer White violated protocol by not turning off his siren so that the motorist could hear. He also testified that the movement Mr. McCloskey made to turn around was not "targeting" the officer as was testified by defense witnesses but an obvious "inquiry glance" made to determine what was going on.

Staff
    Is 11 years enough?
    Last edited by swamprat; 05-18-2010 at 05:28 AM.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    That is fucked up.

And - it creeps me out because, as I rider, I can see that happening again; maybe to me.

When stopped by a cop while riding, a rider's likely to start unzipping his jacket as a matter of course, to get at his wallet. I've done this without thinking much about several times.

Christ!

It's just another reason to run.

The cops have become little better than the Gestapo. We motorists/riders have no rights they are bound to respect. Our duty is to submit and obey and hope they don't beat (or kill) us.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    Is 11 years enough?
    Only if the asshole gets it in the ass (and gets AIDs) while doing his time.