Thread: Rand Paul wins KY primary

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Rand Paul wins KY primary

WASHINGTON Political novice Rand Paul rode support from tea party activists to a rout in Kentucky's Republican Senate primary Tuesday night, jolting the GOP establishment and providing fresh evidence of voter discontent in a turbulent midterm election season.

Paul had 59 percent of the vote with returns counted from 29 percent of the precincts, compared to 37 percent for Secretary of State Trey Grayson, who was recruited to the race by the state's dominant Republican, U.S. Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell.

In a Democratic primary that commanded far less national attention, Attorney General Jack Conway led Lt. Gov. Daniel Mongiardo, 49 percent to 39 percent.

On the busiest primary night of the year so far, Democratic Sens. Arlen Specter in Pennsylvania and Blanche Lincoln in Arkansas struggled uncertainly for nomination to new terms.

In a fourth race with national implications, Republican Tim Burns and Democrat Mark Critz vied to fill out the final few months in the term of the late Rep. John Murtha in Pennsylvania. Each political party invested nearly $1 million in that contest and said the race to succeed the longtime Democratic lawmaker was something of a bellwether for the fall.

In Oregon, Democratic Sen. Ron Wyden faced little opposition for nomination to a third full term.

Voters in Pennsylvania and Oregon also selected gubernatorial candidates.
    In Kentucky, Grayson had the support of McConnell as well as other establishment figures. But Paul countered with endorsements and the political energy that flowed along with them from tea party activists, former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin and Sen. Jim DeMint of South Carolina, a conservative eager to push his party rightward in advance of the broader fall campaign.

According to his website, Paul, 47 and an ophthalmologist, is a "career doctor, not a politician." He favors a balanced budget and paying off the national debt over time, but the website mentions no specifics.

He opposes all federal bailouts of private industry and government subsidies for alternative energy sources such as solar and wind power.

He has called Washington lobbyists a "distinctly criminal class" and favors banning lobbying and campaign contributions by anyone holding a federal contract exceeding $1 million.

The race marked the third time that tea party activists, a collection of disparate groups without a central political structure, have placed their stamp on Republican races.

Their votes at a Utah Republican convention helped deny a spot on the ballot to Sen. Bob Bennett, a conservative judged as not sufficiently so. And their backing helped propel one-time longshot Republican Marco Rubio to a lead in the pre-primary polls in Florida's Senate race, prompting Gov. Charlie Crist to quit the party and run as an independent.

So far, one Democrat has lost his race for a new term this year. In West Virginia, Democratic Rep. Alan Mollohan fell in a primary to an opponent who highlighted ethics issues.

Eager to avoid long-term fallout from a bruising primary, GOP leaders in Kentucky set a unity breakfast for Saturday.

The state's Senate seat is one of 10 or more that appear likely to remain competitive until Election Day, and one that Republicans can ill afford to lose if they are to make a serious run at challenging the Democratic majority.

The seat is now held by Sen. Jim Bunning, but McConnell was so concerned about Bunning's ability to win a new term that he muscled the two-term lawmaker to the sidelines and recruited Grayson to run.

Paul, the son of Rep. Ron Paul, a former GOP presidential contender, entered the race with other ideas.

The far-flung races took place a little less than five months before midterm elections in which Republicans will challenge Democrats for control of both houses of Congress. President Barack Obama backed incumbents in his party's races, but despite the stakes for his legislative agenda the White House insisted he was not following the results very closely.

Whatever the fate of the parties, public opinion polls and the defeat of two veteran lawmakers in earlier contests already had turned the campaign into a year of living dangerously for incumbents.

High unemployment, an economy just now emerging from the worst recession in generations and Congress' decision to bail out Wall Street giants in 2008 all added to voters' unease, polls said. In a survey released shortly before the polls closed, ABC said voter expectations for the economy had turned optimistic for the first time in six years. At that, only 33 percent of those polled said so in the network's polling, compared with 29 percent saying the opposite.

Specter dueled with Rep. Joe Sestak in Pennsylvania, an 80-year-old party-switching veteran against a younger opponent in a frequent swing state in national campaigns.

Specter sought his sixth term, and first in his new party. Sestak tagged him as an opportunist, airing an ad that showed Specter saying he had abandoned the Republican Party so he could win re-election.

"Politicians are like diapers. They both should be changed regularly," Marc Coleman 41, of Philadelphia, said as he cast his vote.

But across the state in Pittsburgh, Stephen Little, 48, said he sided with the incumbent. "He's been there so long, he's familiar with all the areas and information," he said.

Former Rep. Pat Toomey had little opposition in his bid for the Republican nomination in Pennsylvania.

In Arkansas, Lincoln's primary foe was Lt. Gov. Bill Halter in a race that took on trappings of a clash of outside interests. Records on file with the Federal Election Commission showed outside groups had spent nearly $10 million to sway the outcome.

Lincoln positioned herself as an independent-minded Democrat not beholden to her party. Halter's campaign was backed by labor unions unhappy with Lincoln's opposition to a government option under health care, legislation making it easier for unions to organize and trade legislation. Little Rock businessman D.C. Morrison also ran.

Among Republicans, Rep. John Boozman took on eight lesser-known rivals for party nomination to the Senate.

Arkansas state law provides for a primary runoff on June 8 if no one achieves a majority.

In Oregon, Republicans chose among seven contenders for the nomination to oppose Wyden.

Also in Oregon, former Democratic Gov. John Kitzhaber campaigned for his party's nomination for a return to office, and nine Republicans competed for the right to run against him.

In Pennsylvania's gubernatorial primary, four Democrats and two Republicans vied for spots on the November ballot.

As if primaries weren't enough, both parties had other concerns.

Rep. Mark Souder, a conservative Republican from Indiana, abruptly announced he would resign on Friday, admitting he had had an affair with a woman on his congressional payroll. Democrats said his resignation would make the seat competitive in the fall.

And Democrat Richard Blumenthal, the Connecticut attorney general running for the Senate, disputed a newspaper report that he once lied about his Vietnam record. Republicans focused on the report, hoping it would increase their chances of winning the seat.

Staff
    A Rand Paul win can be considered to be a good thing at least if he is like his father. Time will yet tell.

The best news IMO is that weasel Specter is gone. I didn't like him as a Repub and I sure didn't like him when he switched. A really great example of a weasel maggot politician.

Quote Originally Posted by Mase View Post
    The best news IMO is that weasel Specter is gone. I didn't like him as a Repub and I sure didn't like him when he switched. A really great example of a weasel maggot politician.
    Almost as bad as Lieberman! Or the white-headed cockroach...

Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Almost as bad as Lieberman! Or the white-headed cockroach...

Yeah, but have you seen the guy who won? He's a gun grabber who voted for every Obama spending proposal to come up. He's way worse. Even though I hate Repulicans, I hope that the Repub wins if he is the only other choice.

From the comments I've seen from Rand Paul, it sounds like there is a power struggle to control the Republican Party. I'm not saying that's a bad thing as the current party has gotten too fat and happy. I really doubt that 5 years from now that there will be much change. Too many entrenched special interests will lose power and money. Look at the hit Haliburton took when Cheney left office. It's like Cheech and Chong in their movie "Up In Smoke" when their band was going to get costumes for the stage. "We want them all to be the same, but different".
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    From the comments I've seen from Rand Paul, it sounds like there is a power struggle to control the Republican Party. I'm not saying that's a bad thing as the current party has gotten too fat and happy. I really doubt that 5 years from now that there will be much change. Too many entrenched special interests will lose power and money. Look at the hit Haliburton took when Cheney left office. It's like Cheech and Chong in their movie "Up In Smoke" when their band was going to get costumes for the stage. "We want them all to be the same, but different".
    Rand is apparently like his father; if so - and he follows through - it will be a dramatic change from previous Republican corporate hog-troughing.

And his support indicates there are still people out there who want freedom - real freedom. To be left the hell alone unless they harm someone. And to extend the same courtesy to others in return. Get out of our lives and out of our wallets. Take care of yourself and your family - and leave me free to take care of myself and mine. No one's "need" is a claim on someone else's wallet - or their right to be left the hell alone.

Maybe America will make a comeback... .

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    Yeah, but have you seen the guy who won? He's a gun grabber who voted for every Obama spending proposal to come up. He's way worse. Even though I hate Repulicans, I hope that the Repub wins if he is the only other choice.
    I have seen the Cesspool...er Sestak commercials, and knew right away he was even more liberal than Specturd. He showed how he voted yes for all civil rights issues, and yes for all environmental issues, etc. He is another damn progressive, just like Obama.

The only reason Specturd won the last two elections is because the old people were enjoying his handouts. Pat Toomey had better win, because I'll be pissed if he loses again.

Quote Originally Posted by dieseleverything View Post
    I have seen the Cesspool...er Sestak commercials, and knew right away he was even more liberal than Specturd. He showed how he voted yes for all civil rights issues, and yes for all environmental issues, etc. He is another damn progressive, just like Obama.

The only reason Specturd won the last two elections is because the old people were enjoying his handouts. Pat Toomey had better win, because I'll be pissed if he loses again.
    I'm happy to see that old mummy humiliated on national TV. Now we just need to keep the momentum going....

Poor Rand has been tripping over the foot in his mouth ever since the election. He's gonna make it so easy for the Dem opponent in November. He's already canceled his scheduled appearance on Meet The Press.

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel View Post
    Poor Rand has been tripping over the foot in his mouth ever since the election. He's gonna make it so easy for the Dem opponent in November. He's already canceled his scheduled appearance on Meet The Press.
    Yeah.. he appears to be easy meat, unfortunately.

The "civil rights" crap was just the beginning. That he was unable to explain that real civil rights means leaving every peaceful man alone until he uses force against another - and that the "civil rights" of the 1964 Civil Rights Act morphed into precisely the opposite of that, denying the right of free association and imposing racial quotas and preferential treatment at gunpoint - shows he's not ready for prime time.

A few years from now, "Tea Party" will be one of those archaic catch phrases used to define a specific period of time, like "Where's The Beef".

I still think a purist Libertarian is unelectable in America, and that's what's getting Paul into trouble now.

Staff
    Purist libertarians are not worth voting for. They have a blind spot on trade issues and they are too esoteric in their viewpoints. I believe in liberty and all that, but my views mirror the Constitution Party, not the Libertarian party.

That said, I'd still vote for Rand Paul over any other opponent. Unfortunately, most Americans don't understand what the hell he means. He obviously doesn't have the political savvy to choose his battles. If he stayed with that tea party line of bull, he would likely be elected. With his pontificating on civil rights and calling Obama un-American, as truthful as it is, he may lose this one. It's a shame since he would be a lot better than any democrat, but not better than a Constitution party candidate.

http://www.constitutionparty.com/

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    Purist libertarians are not worth voting for. They have a blind spot on trade issues and they are too esoteric in their viewpoints. I believe in liberty and all that, but my views mirror the Constitution Party, not the Libertarian party.

That said, I'd still vote for Rand Paul over any other opponent. Unfortunately, most Americans don't understand what the hell he means. He obviously doesn't have the political savvy to choose his battles. If he stayed with that tea party line of bull, he would likely be elected. With his pontificating on civil rights and calling Obama un-American, as truthful as it is, he may lose this one. It's a shame since he would be a lot better than any democrat, but not better than a Constitution party candidate.

http://www.constitutionparty.com/
    I like that the Libertarians take a principled stand on liberty - as opposed to the selective view taken by many conservatives (e.g., some freedom is ok but other freedom is not, especially when it comes to "vices" - and some government thuggishness - such as world empire - is good, etc.).

On trade, the Libertarians make the error of equating individual (and small scale) free exchange - a good thing and essential to liberty - with international "free trade" - a very bad thing, when it amounts to leveraging Turd World labor/production costs to increase profits for a relative few (CEOs and shareholder elite) at the expense of the country's workers.

"Free trade" is exploitation and violence - against the Turd Worlders as much as against the American people. Hence, it is legitimate to counteract act it - to discourage it - by imposing tariffs and other equalizing tariffs, so there will not be any economic incentive for large corporations (which are the only entities that can practice "free trade") to become international vulture capitalists, as they have become under our current system.

Rand Paul is now having to make explanations to his supporters. While he decries government money and says we need to tighten the purse strings, he is also raking in the cash from Medicare and Medicaid. Evidently he isn't popular with the main Republican Party as I've heard this from GOP supporters.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    Rand Paul is now having to make explanations to his supporters. While he decries government money and says we need to tighten the purse strings, he is also raking in the cash from Medicare and Medicaid. Evidently he isn't popular with the main Republican Party as I've heard this from GOP supporters.
    Yeah.

He badly fumbled on "civil rights," too.

I should run for office. At least I am philosophically consistent. I don't want anything from the government - and don't take it, either.