Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's wrong with this picture?

Quote Originally Posted by dieseleverything View Post
    Very nice Mercedes! What year and model is it?(looks to be post-'80)...

Sure beats the piss outta any new Mercedes....with all that chrome, steel, and class.

It's a 1982 380SL. Mostly original too. No rust, mirror smooth panels, original paint and except for a vacuum leak somewhere and a worn steering coupler, not a darn thing wrong with it. I've been playing with selling it since it sits so low that I have trouble getting in and out of it. On the other hand, I'm in no hurry since I wanted one for 30 years and it took me 3 years to talk the dealer out of it that I got it from.

It's had a lot of guys saying I ought to repaint it. Except for some nicks and pings from the years, it's original and looks decent. They are only original once. I don't even consider myself the owner of the car. I'm the current custodian of it. Maybe it's not as slick looking as a restored one, but it has all the little details the M-B put into it that the fresh paint jobs lack. Plus, I really get the girls with it.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    It's a 1982 380SL. Mostly original too. No rust, mirror smooth panels, original paint and except for a vacuum leak somewhere and a worn steering coupler, not a darn thing wrong with it. I've been playing with selling it since it sits so low that I have trouble getting in and out of it. On the other hand, I'm in no hurry since I wanted one for 30 years and it took me 3 years to talk the dealer out of it that I got it from.

It's had a lot of guys saying I ought to repaint it. Except for some nicks and pings from the years, it's original and looks decent. They are only original once. I don't even consider myself the owner of the car. I'm the current custodian of it. Maybe it's not as slick looking as a restored one, but it has all the little details the M-B put into it that the fresh paint jobs lack. Plus, I really get the girls with it.
    From that angle the paint looks good to me. How many miles does it have? It is truly amazing how much normal wear stuff has held up on our MB's over the years. Things like switches, interior lighting, suspension stuff, transmissions, and engines. And for the stuff that doesn't hold up, any Mercedes dealer should have the parts to fix it....although some stuff for my W123 is now going NLA....

Quote Originally Posted by dieseleverything View Post
    From that angle the paint looks good to me. How many miles does it have? It is truly amazing how much normal wear stuff has held up on our MB's over the years. Things like switches, interior lighting, suspension stuff, transmissions, and engines. And for the stuff that doesn't hold up, any Mercedes dealer should have the parts to fix it....although some stuff for my W123 is now going NLA....

It's got 133K on the clock right now. Getting stuff for it has been an experience. Parts are available although it may take a day or two to come in. Getting an extra set of keys was an eye opener. I had to show my drivers license and the registration to the car to prove I owned it. They cut new keys to fit that car and they fit just fine. Evidently Mercedes takes security seriously. No extra keys to my car floating around.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.