Thread: Countdown to another road trip

Countdown to another road trip

A week and a half away. Being gainfully unemployed, I have moved the takeoff date for this years road trip to June 5th instead of the 12th. We are planning to go to St. George, Utah to visit Belvas sister. I want to head west out of there and go through Death Valley, Yosemite, and Sequoia National Forest. From there I plan on crossing the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco and run up the coastal highway heading north to meet up with Sherry and freinds in Hells Canyon. ( Hay Sherry, can you resend me the date and address for that campground. I got a new computer a couple months ago and had the info on my old one. thanx)
    After that I want to hit Yellowstone on my way back east and plan on being home just in time for the 4th of July weekend.

Looks like you will be too far north both heading out and returning but if you are any where near Longview, you know there is lodging available. Might even throw in a steak and beer dinner at the local popular red neck steak house;-)
    Last edited by Litlbike; 05-26-2010 at 08:48 AM.

]A week and a half away. Being gainfully unemployed, I have moved the takeoff date for this years road trip to June 5th instead of the 12th. We are planning to go to St. George, Utah to visit Belvas sister. I want to head west out of there and go through Death Valley, Yosemite, and Sequoia National Forest. From there I plan on crossing the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco and run up the coastal highway heading north to meet up with Sherry and freinds in Hells Canyon. ( Hay Sherry, can you resend me the date and address for that campground. I got a new computer a couple months ago and had the info on my old one. thanx)
    After that I want to hit Yellowstone on my way back east and plan on being home just in time for the 4th of July weekend.
    ================================================== ======
    Sounds like a supercalifragilistic ride. The Golden Gate area is one of my favorite places ever. If you have time and are interested in history there is a wonderful place called Fort Point right under the S.F. end of the bridge. At the other side there is a turn off that gives a great view of the area. Another turn off takes you under the hill through a red light controlled one way tunnel and up and around the old gun places that protected the bay during two wars. These stops are all kinda in a line and wouldn't take too much time to visit.

Riding across Death Valley in February was as cold as I've ever been in my life
    Attached Images Attached Images

June is not the optimum time for visiting Death Valley. Expect temperatures in the 105 to 113 range.

Quote Originally Posted by Litlbike View Post
    June is not the optimum time for visiting Death Valley. Expect temperatures in the 105 to 113 range.
    =========

Good morning Barry!

Whoo Hoo!!! Road trip..... Sounds like a great ride. Love the parks you'll hit. Rubber side down!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfrtbkr View Post
    =========

Good morning Barry!
    Maybe where you are it is but it's hot and humid around here. Good morning.

Maybe where you are it is but it's hot and humid around here. Good morning.

"bout time for you to head north ain't it?

Looks like you will be too far north both heading out and returning but if you are any where near Longview, you know there is lodging available. Might even throw in a steak and beer dinner at the local popular red neck steak house;-)
    I'll keep that in mind Barry. You never know if the weather pushes me into the southern route through the panhandle. Thanks for the offer.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfrtbkr View Post
    ]A week and a half away. Being gainfully unemployed, I have moved the takeoff date for this years road trip to June 5th instead of the 12th. We are planning to go to St. George, Utah to visit Belvas sister. I want to head west out of there and go through Death Valley, Yosemite, and Sequoia National Forest. From there I plan on crossing the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco and run up the coastal highway heading north to meet up with Sherry and freinds in Hells Canyon. ( Hay Sherry, can you resend me the date and address for that campground. I got a new computer a couple months ago and had the info on my old one. thanx)
    ================================================== ======
    Sounds like a supercalifragilistic ride. The Golden Gate area is one of my favorite places ever. If you have time and are interested in history there is a wonderful place called Fort Point right under the S.F. end of the bridge. At the other side there is a turn off that gives a great view of the area. Another turn off takes you under the hill through a red light controlled one way tunnel and up and around the old gun places that protected the bay during two wars. These stops are all kinda in a line and wouldn't take too much time to visit.

Riding across Death Valley in February was as cold as I've ever been in my life
    Thanks for the info JP.

Yup, I kind of expected that. We did some riding in 99 degree temps yesterday here yesterday. Kinda warm for New England anytimne of year, never mind spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Frosts08ultra View Post
    A week and a half away. Being gainfully unemployed, I have moved the takeoff date for this years road trip to June 5th instead of the 12th. We are planning to go to St. George, Utah to visit Belvas sister. I want to head west out of there and go through Death Valley, Yosemite, and Sequoia National Forest. From there I plan on crossing the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco and run up the coastal highway heading north to meet up with Sherry and freinds in Hells Canyon. ( Hay Sherry, can you resend me the date and address for that campground. I got a new computer a couple months ago and had the info on my old one. thanx)

Hey, Mark. Wishing you and Belva a safe and enjoyable trip that will give you good tales to tell and happy memories.

Ride safe, looking forward to hearing your stories.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieCLU View Post
    "bout time for you to head north ain't it?

Well it's not that far north but I'm leaving for Fort Smith, AR June 8th and finish up the TAT trail in Arkansas and then continue on through Ok. I'll be riding the Ural along with Comrade Tripper and of course my buddy Charlie on his Ural.

We're leaving on Tuesday for Chattanooga and the Tenn HOG rally. We'll be on the Harley's. Earl will be staying home...

Auburn, CA & Reno, NV & Cold Springs Valley, NV
    I want to head west out of there and go through Death Valley, Yosemite, and Sequoia National Forest.
    Forget Death Valley from now until around November, unless you know exactly what you're doing and know exactly what to expect. See here.

"Longest summers
    The greatest number of consecutive days with a maximum temperature of 100 F or above was 154 days in the summer of 2001. The summer of 1996 had 40 days over 120 F, and 105 days over 110 F. The summer of 1917 had 43 consecutive days with a high temperature of 120 F or above."

And be sure you have a gallon of water for each hour you're there and do NOT try to conserve it. And eat, even if your not hungry. I would say drink a lot of water even if you're not thirsty, but that won't happen. You will be thirsty. Even right after drinking a lot of water. I know, I was there in July when I was young and dumb. And yes, on a motorcycle.

You will find almost nobody there. There are a couple of workers at Furnace Creek and Scotty's Castle even at mid summer. At least there used to be.

-Don- South San Francisco, CA

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieCLU View Post
    We're leaving on Tuesday for Chattanooga and the Tenn HOG rally. We'll be on the Harley's. Earl will be staying home...

What???????????????? You haven't got a sidecar attached to Linda's bike yet for "little, lethargic" Earl to ride in?

heading north to meet up with Sherry and freinds in Hells Canyon. ( Hay Sherry, can you resend me the date and address for that campground. I got a new computer a couple months ago and had the info on my old one. thanx)

I had a nice long informative (babbly) post created and whappppppp it disappeared. Grrrrrrrrrr I hate it when that happens.

Here's the info about camp:

2010 Hells Canyon/Wallowa Valley Gathering
    June 17-20, 2010

Log house RV Park and Campground
    66258 Lewiston Hwy (Hwy 3)
    Enterprise, Oregon 97828

1-877-426-4027
    http://loghouservpark.com/

Cost: $10.00 per tent per night. Pay our hosts Brian and Margaret when you arrive.

The campground is about a mile north of Enertprise, OR on the west side of hwy 3. It's easy to ride past it if you're not looking for it. The driveway/road into the campground is dirt so you are looking for a dirt drive that goes up a slight uphill.

When you get there let who ever you encounter know you are with the ADV group and you are looking for Ladybug. Most people know my name is Sherry but Ladybug is more know and will get you directed to where I am or run me down.

I'm still on AOL under slcook3567 if you want to email me with any questions.

Anyone else that is any where near the NW that would like to come to the Hells Canyon Campout you are more than welcome to join us.

It's going to be fun to finally get to meet you.
    Sherry
    Never lost, always on an adventure !

Quote Originally Posted by Ladybug View Post
    I had a nice long informative (babbly) post created and whappppppp it disappeared. Grrrrrrrrrr I hate it when that happens.

Here's the info about camp:

2010 Hells Canyon/Wallowa Valley Gathering
    June 17-20, 2010

Log house RV Park and Campground
    66258 Lewiston Hwy (Hwy 3)
    Enterprise, Oregon 97828
    1-877-426-4027
    http://loghouservpark.com/

Cost: $10.00 per tent per night. Pay our hosts Brian and Margaret when you arrive.

The campground is about a mile north of Enertprise, OR on the west side of hwy 3. It's easy to ride past it if you're not looking for it. The driveway/road into the campground is dirt so you are looking for a dirt drive that goes up a slight uphill.

When you get there let who ever you encounter know you are with the ADV group and you are looking for Ladybug. Most people know my name is Sherry but Ladybug is more know and will get you directed to where I am or run me down.

I'm still on AOL under slcook3567 if you want to email me with any questions.

Anyone else that is any where near the NW that would like to come to the Hells Canyon Campout you are more than welcome to join us.

It's going to be fun to finally get to meet you.
    Thanks Sherry, Lord willing, and the creek don't rise, we'll see you there and look foward to meeting you too.

Well Hmmmmmmmm it looks like your plan was to leave this morning so you might not see this unless you find internet access along the way.

That "creek don't rise" statement isn't a good one right now. The PNW has had record rain falls in the last two weeks, even on the dry side.

If your planned route has you taking the main road through the Hells Canyon Nat'l Rec Area (FS39) you'll want to re-route. The road has been washed out in a few places over the last couple of days and it is unknown when it will open or if it will open this year. That's the main paved road through there so I'm hoping the first reports aren't correct.

Hopefully we'll still be able to access the main Hells Canyon viewpoint during the Hells Canyon gathering. I haven't got a good handle of exactly where the road is washed out but it sounded like further south of the viewpoint but I could be totally wrong on that.
    Sherry
    Never lost, always on an adventure !

Quote Originally Posted by Ladybug View Post
    Well Hmmmmmmmm it looks like your plan was to leave this morning so you might not see this unless you find internet access along the way.

That "creek don't rise" statement isn't a good one right now. The PNW has had record rain falls in the last two weeks, even on the dry side.

If your planned route has you taking the main road through the Hells Canyon Nat'l Rec Area (FS39) you'll want to re-route. The road has been washed out in a few places over the last couple of days and it is unknown when it will open or if it will open this year. That's the main paved road through there so I'm hoping the first reports aren't correct.

Hopefully we'll still be able to access the main Hells Canyon viewpoint during the Hells Canyon gathering. I haven't got a good handle of exactly where the road is washed out but it sounded like further south of the viewpoint but I could be totally wrong on that.

Hi Sherry, I have a laptop that works on cellular networks so I'll be online most nights. I havn't figured a route to the campground yet so if you hear any more on the area, let me know.
    We made it as far as the Pittsberg PA. area today before running smack into severe thunderstorms including a tornado warning nearby, 60MPH winds, quarter size hail and flash flooding. We bailed out and got a room for the night instead of camping