Thread: Well, Shoot...Went And Sold My Jaguar....

Well, Shoot...Went And Sold My Jaguar....

Yeah, I did it.

Bought the 1990 XJ6 in 2005, from the proverbial little ole lady from Pasadena...37,000 miles on it, close to showroom condition. I was selling Nissans, she bought an Altima. Trade in car, dealer gave her $3k, boss let me have it for $3500.

So we ran it up to 55k miles, and a few things were broke. LR power door lock not working, air not getting cold, radio needing new speakers. Hood paint getting thin from too many waxings, needing paint. Automatic seat belts getting finicky. Headliner getting loose and sagging if you looked close. Getting hard to get parts. Spouse said TOO MANY CARS. Argh.

British mechanic, Jaguar guy, knows his stuff. $4k changes hands, off it goes. Relief, regret.

It was a great car. Wonderful driving experience, the best steering I have ever seen in a car this size, precise and tight. Wonderful acceleration from the straight six. Yeah, it would only eat premium gas.

Showroom interior, leather beautiful, REAL wood inlays top notch, no fake plastic wood here. Nothing loose, no rattles, chrome in showroom condition, carpeting to die for.

Every time I have sold off a car like this, ten years later I kick myself. 1965 Mustang, 1972 LeMans, 1963 Imperial convertible. Ten years from now perhaps I will hopefully be too senile to appreciate the loss and engage in self-kicking....

Adios, Jaguar. It was fun.

Attached Images Attached Images

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mase View Post
    Yeah, I did it.

Bought the 1990 XJ6 in 2005, from the proverbial little ole lady from Pasadena...37,000 miles on it, close to showroom condition. I was selling Nissans, she bought an Altima. Trade in car, dealer gave her $3k, boss let me have it for $3500.

So we ran it up to 55k miles, and a few things were broke. LR power door lock not working, air not getting cold, radio needing new speakers. Hood paint getting thin from too many waxings, needing paint. Automatic seat belts getting finicky. Headliner getting loose and sagging if you looked close. Getting hard to get parts. Spouse said TOO MANY CARS. Argh.

British mechanic, Jaguar guy, knows his stuff. $4k changes hands, off it goes. Relief, regret.

It was a great car. Wonderful driving experience, the best steering I have ever seen in a car this size, precise and tight. Wonderful acceleration from the straight six. Yeah, it would only eat premium gas.

Showroom interior, leather beautiful, REAL wood inlays top notch, no fake plastic wood here. Nothing loose, no rattles, chrome in showroom condition, carpeting to die for.

Every time I have sold off a car like this, ten years later I kick myself. 1965 Mustang, 1972 LeMans, 1963 Imperial convertible. Ten years from now perhaps I will hopefully be too senile to appreciate the loss and engage in self-kicking....

Adios, Jaguar. It was fun.

Given how the new Jags are Going 'Groid, I would have held onto that one!

I've been thinking of selling my Mercedes but just never seem to get around to it. I just swapped for a 1984 Lincoln Mark VII yesterday. 46K miles on the clock. I'll be using it for a back up car as my Taurus is starting to leak coolant from the head gasket. I don't know if I'll fix or sell it. The air suspension is on the ground and a lot of the electrical stuff isn't working but nothing looks to be beyond fixing. I'll probably replace the suspension with spring conversion kits and say the heck with it.

Before I bought the Benz though, I looked at an XJS. I wasn't sure about having a V-12 engine and a car that would run 150. It sure did have curb appeal though. Jaguar just builds cars that draw the eye.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Staff
    The good news is that these days, there are plenty of Jaguars to be had compared with years past. Since 1995, Jaguars have become fairly reliable vehicles. You can find another one for about the same money as you got rid of yours.

I own a 2003 S-type and would like to own a 1995-1997 XJ someday. I also like the XJ8, although I don't know about the reliability. the 2000 XJ was slightly reworked from the 1998-99 models.

All in all, they are excellent cars.