Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Breaking: Mercury sleeps with the fishes...

  1. #1
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,740

    Breaking: Mercury sleeps with the fishes...

    Ford Motor Co. will announce Wednesday that it plans to kill its 72-year-old Mercury brand, according to two people briefed on the decision.

    The automaker plans to add models to the Lincoln lineup to give dealers more products to sell, according to the people, who asked not to be identified because the official announcement has not been made.

    Ford has scheduled a conference call with dealers and a press conference for late Wednesday afternoon. The company said in a statement that the press conference would be an important product and brand discussion.

    Mercury, which sells the Milan midsize car and Mariner midsize sport utility vehicle, has been suffering for years from a lack of new products and advertising support from Ford.

    Its sales peaked in 1978 at more than 580,000 vehicles but just over 92,000 Mercurys were sold last year.

    So far this year, the Mercury brand has captured less than 1 percent of the U.S. market, while the Ford brand has 15 percent

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Raleigh NC, USA
    Posts
    3,628
    Now that you can get leather seats on a Ford, there's no reason to buy a Mercury.

    Well. Even less now, I guess.


    Chip H.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,429
    I always liked the 60's Mercury's that had the reverse slant window that you could lower!

  4. #4
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,740
    Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    Now that you can get leather seats on a Ford, there's no reason to buy a Mercury.

    Well. Even less now, I guess.


    Chip H.
    Mercury had even less reason to exist than Pontiac. It was GM's upscale performance brand for a long time - until GM ruined that by turning Pontiac into (mostly) a marketing arm for badge-engineered "GM" generics.

    Pontiac could have survived, too. The G8 and Solstice had tremendous potential. Just stop selling Pontiac economy cars and minivans...

    But Mercury? A slightly nicer Ford?

    In 2010?

  5. #5
    Well.....this sucks.....and I thought Ford was going down the right track, I guess not.

    As with Pontiac and GM, Mercury was always my favorite Ford brand, I guess not anymore.

    What Mercury needed was another Turnpike Cruiser, one for the 21st century.

  6. #6
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,740
    Quote Originally Posted by dieseleverything View Post
    Well.....this sucks.....and I thought Ford was going down the right track, I guess not.

    As with Pontiac and GM, Mercury was always my favorite Ford brand, I guess not anymore.

    What Mercury needed was another Turnpike Cruiser, one for the 21st century.
    Mercury hasn't had much in the way of unique product for many years - just rebadged Crown Vics (Grand Marquis), Taurus (Sable) Escapes and Explorers (Mountaineer). It had become a badge-engineered brand, re-selling slightly tarted-up Fords.

    That's also what helped kill Pontiac.

    In the '70s and '60s, Mercury had some genuinely cool stuff - also like Pontiac.

    The last Mercury I personally liked was the Marquis-based Marauder that was sold for a couple of years. It was not as quick as the old Impala SS of the '90s but it was a much nicer overall package.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    335
    Ironically enough, we just bought a new 2010 Mercury Mountaineer last week.

    Yes, it's basically an Explorer, but we wanted the optional power running boards. They are only available one package up from the base in the Mercury version, but three packages up from the base in the Ford version. IOW, to get that one option, the Mercury is $3000 cheaper. I really, really hate that 'package' crap and the Marketing people who twiddle the packages so you need to buy a lot of expensive stuff that you don't want in order to get what you do want.

  8. #8
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,740
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeHalloran View Post
    Ironically enough, we just bought a new 2010 Mercury Mountaineer last week.

    Yes, it's basically an Explorer, but we wanted the optional power running boards. They are only available one package up from the base in the Mercury version, but three packages up from the base in the Ford version. IOW, to get that one option, the Mercury is $3000 cheaper. I really, really hate that 'package' crap and the Marketing people who twiddle the packages so you need to buy a lot of expensive stuff that you don't want in order to get what you do want.
    Man, ain't it the truth?

    Nissan ( I love their vehicles) is among the worst in this respect. They up-sell almost everything and it is virtually impossible to get major options (and some minor) individually, without also buying some hugely expensive package. And cost aside, a lot of people may not want the other stuff in the package.

  9. #9
    Senior Member misterdecibel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Posts
    3,408
    Good riddance.

    Of course most of the Mercury product range will end up being replaced when they allow Lincoln to expand down-market.

  10. #10
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,740
    Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel View Post
    Good riddance.

    Of course most of the Mercury product range will end up being replaced when they allow Lincoln to expand down-market.
    Which is smart because right now, Lincoln's not even a player in the luxury segment.

  11. #11
    Senior Member misterdecibel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Posts
    3,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Which is smart because right now, Lincoln's not even a player in the luxury segment.
    Lincoln has dropped the ball so many times I'm not sure their reputation can be salvaged. They invented the Rap Star Cruiser genre with the Lincoln Navigator, but Cadillac stole their thunder again. So they might as well become the new de facto Mercury.

  12. #12
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,740
    Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel View Post
    Lincoln has dropped the ball so many times I'm not sure their reputation can be salvaged. They invented the Rap Star Cruiser genre with the Lincoln Navigator, but Cadillac stole their thunder again. So they might as well become the new de facto Mercury.
    It actually might be easier for them to eke out a niche - and a profit - via this strategy.

    It would take a herculean effort (and massive investment) to re-engineer the lineup to be competitive with BMW (and even Cadillac). They literally have to start from scratch as they have nothing right now that's remotely competitive with anything higher-up than, say, a Lexus ES350 (which is of course a rebadged Camry).

    Old People have been thoroughly abandoned by the other luxury brands (even Buick).

    Maybe there's a market for nicer-than-Ford, not-so-expensive sedate/comfortable cruiser-mobiles?

    But Lincoln is on crack if it thinks it's going to be competitive as a major luxury brand without massive retooling, investment and several years of extremely hard work.

  13. #13
    Senior Member J. ZIMM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    THE HIGH DESERT, OREGON
    Posts
    371
    I too, will hate to see the Mercury Brand go by-by. I have owned several Mercs in my day. In fact, that last one I bought was a 1992, which is still going strong. My wife loves it, and as you know, what keeps the wife happy, keeps the home fires burning. My first Merc was a 1950, four door sled. For an old flat head, it was a pretty good car after some buddies and I rebuilt the engine so it would scoot down the road. I had that one for a couple of years, until my dear ol' mother basically sold it out from under me, for a case of beer. Heck, it WAS MY CAR. I held the title on it. She could have sold her old Buick that didn't run. My next Merc was a 1957 Turnpike Cruiser, Four Door Hardtop. (That one had the slanted rear power window). It had a Typewriter Shift on the lower left of the dash. Start and Neutral were on the same button. I had that car for many years and traveled all over the West coast, and as far East as Salt Lake City. That poor ol' car finally went to the scrap yard after a drunk driving a logging truck tried to mate it with a "K" Womper. My next was a '60. We didn't have that one to long. It was an ugly car in our minds. We bought other brands through out the years. But when the '92 came out , the Misses had to have that one. So we traded in our '86 Chevy Caprice Classic Brougham. I cannot ride in one of these smaller cars, as my back doesn't bend. So I have to have high door openings.That will make things more of a challenge when it comes time to replace the Grand Marque. And yet there is one more thing that sold us on that car. Have you ever looked into the trunk of one of those. I swear you could create life in there...

  14. #14
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,740
    Quote Originally Posted by J. ZIMM View Post
    I too, will hate to see the Mercury Brand go by-by. I have owned several Mercs in my day. In fact, that last one I bought was a 1992, which is still going strong. My wife loves it, and as you know, what keeps the wife happy, keeps the home fires burning. My first Merc was a 1950, four door sled. For an old flat head, it was a pretty good car after some buddies and I rebuilt the engine so it would scoot down the road. I had that one for a couple of years, until my dear ol' mother basically sold it out from under me, for a case of beer. Heck, it WAS MY CAR. I held the title on it. She could have sold her old Buick that didn't run. My next Merc was a 1957 Turnpike Cruiser, Four Door Hardtop. (That one had the slanted rear power window). It had a Typewriter Shift on the lower left of the dash. Start and Neutral were on the same button. I had that car for many years and traveled all over the West coast, and as far East as Salt Lake City. That poor ol' car finally went to the scrap yard after a drunk driving a logging truck tried to mate it with a "K" Womper. My next was a '60. We didn't have that one to long. It was an ugly car in our minds. We bought other brands through out the years. But when the '92 came out , the Misses had to have that one. So we traded in our '86 Chevy Caprice Classic Brougham. I cannot ride in one of these smaller cars, as my back doesn't bend. So I have to have high door openings.That will make things more of a challenge when it comes time to replace the Grand Marque. And yet there is one more thing that sold us on that car. Have you ever looked into the trunk of one of those. I swear you could create life in there...

    "Turnpike Cruiser"... what a great name!

    I think part of Mercury's problem is that, in our current world, no one wants to cruise. The old concept of luxury - a smooth, quiet ride - is out. High-performance and "sportiness" is in. Bucket seats, consoles, sport bike-like gauge clusters, etc.

    I'm just old enough to remember when luxury cars were almost all mobile lounges - with sofa-like seats and pillowy rides. No one gave a shit about "cornering" in such a car. (And today, they just like to think they do. 99 percent of the people driving these cars just mope along, the low-aspect ratio tires and suspensions set up for SCCA track days as useless as a snow machine in Antarctica.)

    It's too bad.

  15. #15
    Senior Member misterdecibel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Posts
    3,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post

    Maybe there's a market for nicer-than-Ford, not-so-expensive sedate/comfortable cruiser-mobiles?
    If there was, then why did Mercury fail?

  16. #16
    Senior Member misterdecibel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Posts
    3,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    "Turnpike Cruiser"... what a great name!

    I think part of Mercury's problem is that, in our current world, no one wants to cruise. The old concept of luxury - a smooth, quiet ride - is out. High-performance and "sportiness" is in. Bucket seats, consoles, sport bike-like gauge clusters, etc.

    I'm just old enough to remember when luxury cars were almost all mobile lounges - with sofa-like seats and pillowy rides. No one gave a shit about "cornering" in such a car. (And today, they just like to think they do. 99 percent of the people driving these cars just mope along, the low-aspect ratio tires and suspensions set up for SCCA track days as useless as a snow machine in Antarctica.)

    It's too bad.
    Well, a lot of people buy Camrys, and there's not even a hint of a pretense of "sport" about a Camry...



    But tell you what -- I'm 53 years old, and the day I decide that I'd prefer a column-shifting slushbox and a bench seat in my next car, I'll just go blow my head off instead.

  17. #17
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,740
    Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel View Post
    Well, a lot of people buy Camrys, and there's not even a hint of a pretense of "sport" about a Camry...



    But tell you what -- I'm 53 years old, and the day I decide that I'd prefer a column-shifting slushbox and a bench seat in my next car, I'll just go blow my head off instead.
    The Camry's the best Buick LeSabre Japan ever built!

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Raleigh NC, USA
    Posts
    3,628
    That's funny - I refer to the Avalon as a Japanese Buick.

    Chip H.

  19. #19
    johnDonn
    Guest

    Breaking: Mercury sleeps with the fishes...

    nice decision to change old mercury brand .and what are the new plan to sell ?...

  20. #20
    johnDonn
    Guest
    nice decision to change old Mercury brand. and what are the future plan to sell ?...

Similar Threads

  1. The Volt Sleeps With the Fishes
    By Eric in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-09-2012, 01:24 PM
  2. Renewing the Patriot Act While America Sleeps
    By Eric in forum Tea Party Talk...
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-28-2011, 09:57 AM
  3. GM planning bankruptcy filing - breaking news
    By Eric in forum Automotive News
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-14-2009, 03:45 PM
  4. Window breaking spontaniously by itself?
    By bikerlbf406 in forum Car Care & Repair
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-29-2008, 05:12 PM
  5. Will Chrysler sleep with the fishes?
    By Eric in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-23-2007, 07:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •