Thread: Something serious this time

Angry Something serious this time

I'm sort of skirting my own rules here but I feel we all need to be aware of how big business is making our time on the road more unsafe than it already is. Truck drivers used to be required to take a break of at least 8 hours after 10 hours driving. With the extended fuel capacity on some rigs, this time might be pure driving with the fatigue that goes with it. If a driver has a big enough bladder, nearly all 10 hours might be on the road. When I was driving, we often had a funnel and an empty 36 ounce coke bottle for a driver relief device.Run a hose through the floor boards and use the funnel on the hose and you may not stop, since you get paid by the mile.

Large transportation companies have gotten the D.O.T. to allow 11 hours now before a mandatory break. Even then they encourage drivers to squeeze the rules in some cases. Not all companies do this though. Many have GPS and satellite reporting of truck movements. On the other hand, I've seen trucks creepeing in low range as that way they can move around without being reported.

ChinaMart....er...WallyWurld was a big advocate for the longer hours. This keeps their transportation costs down. Yet this isn't the biggest hazzard to other drivers on the road.

New point systems penalize the driver, not the trucking company for defective equipment. If you are moving down the road in a company owned truck and you are stopped for an equipment check, you are liable for ANY faults in the equipment. Say you've complained about the tires on your rig. Your company has said they'll take care of it but the tires still hold air so make another run. And another, and another. If the inspector finds the tread depth to be insufficient, you get cited and it goes against your license just like a speeding ticket. If you work for a company that lets the rigs run without repair, you can lose your license. Period. Since there are so many drivers and so few loads, they'll just hire someone else since there are a lot of guys looking for work.

So, if you see an old rattle trap rig coming up behind you, think about how worn brake shoes don't show up until the truck tries to stop. Indiana has even laid off their Motor Carrier Enforcement officers. Be afraid, be very afraid.
    Last edited by grouch; 06-16-2010 at 09:17 PM. Reason: I kant spel wirth a durn
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    I'm sort of skirting my own rules here but I feel we all need to be aware of how big business is making our time on the road more unsafe than it already is. Truck drivers used to be required to take a break of at least 8 hours after 10 hours driving. With the extended fuel capacity on some rigs, this time might be pure driving with the fatigue that goes with it. If a driver has a big enough bladder, nearly all 10 hours might be on the road. When I was driving, we often had a funnel and an empty 36 ounce coke bottle for a driver relief device.Run a hose through the floor boards and use the funnel on the hose and you may not stop, since you get paid by the mile.

Large transportation companies have gotten the D.O.T. to allow 11 hours now before a mandatory break. Even then they encourage drivers to squeeze the rules in some cases. Not all companies do this though. Many have GPS and satellite reporting of truck movements. On the other hand, I've seen trucks creepeing in low range as that way they can move around without being reported.

ChinaMart....er...WallyWurld was a big advocate for the longer hours. This keeps their transportation costs down. Yet this isn't the biggest hazzard to other drivers on the road.

New point systems penalize the driver, not the trucking company for defective equipment. If you are moving down the road in a company owned truck and you are stopped for an equipment check, you are liable for ANY faults in the equipment. Say you've complained about the tires on your rig. Your company has said they'll take care of it but the tires still hold air so make another run. And another, and another. If the inspector finds the tread depth to be insufficient, you get cited and it goes against your license just like a speeding ticket. If you work for a company that lets the rigs run without repair, you can lose your license. Period. Since there are so many drivers and so few loads, they'll just hire someone else since there are a lot of guys looking for work.

So, if you see an old rattle trap rig coming up behind you, think about how worn brake shoes don't show up until the truck tries to stop. Indiana has even laid off their Motor Carrier Enforcement officers. Be afraid, be very afraid.

It's the freeeeeeeeeeeeee market's invisible hand!

It looks like you are talking about CSA2010. Some of the dumbest shit to ever hit the already broken trucking industry. Like the rule about BMI and if it's over 40 or something you won't have a job after CSA2010 is initiated.

The good old days of running 100MPH all the way across the country have long been gone, replaced by personal lux-lounges dawdling along at a governed 62 MPH. (Driven by sissy whiners).

There are always going to be bad drivers, and bad owners. But, on a trucking forum that I read there is a DOT officer and he has said that the number of slob drivers with broken down trucks is on a steep decline. That is good news.

Trucking has gone from this.....to this. That's right......there used to be pride involved.
    Attached Images Attached Images