Thread: Why care about "the game"?

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Why care about "the game"?

* "Your" team is a group of highly paid physical entertainers; they don't give a shit about you, your city or state - so why do you give a shit about them?

* Whether "your" team wins or loses is as irrelevant to your life as the sprouting of another zit on the ass of an African bushman.

* If "your" team wins, you had nothing to do with it anyhow. Saying "we won!" is like claiming "we" went to the Moon.

* You are subsidizing violent thugs. The NFL and NBA are constituted or appx. 30 percent violent criminals who have raped or attacked or robbed someone. And that's only the stuff we know about.

* Unless you are paralyzed or bed-ridden, there are countless better things to do than vegetate for hours in a chair watching other people do things, pretending you're involved somehow.

* Running real fast or throwing a ball accurately is the lowest form of human achievement there is. Antelopes run fast; gorillas are strong. But only man can produce great literature, achieve scientific breakthroughs, cure diseases or invent useful machinery.

Unless, of course, he's watching "the game."

Well the Black hawks won the Stanley Cup. I got caught up in it. Not since 1961 since the Glen Hall era have they won the Stanley Cup. If it's your team playing in a championship more interest is shown. I kind of look at sports as a diversion. A pastime and nothing more then that. It's a excuse to do nothing for 3 hours and just relax and let athletes do their thing. Some of them like Coby or Lebron James are awesome to watch. Skill levels the highest on the planet. The world cup could be more interesting if more goals are scored? 1-0 is the norm. I don't know I grew up playing sports and now don't mind watching them but that's just me.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    "Well the Black hawks won the Stanley Cup."

Who cares?

I mean, good for them, but it's got nothing to do with you.

"If it's your team playing in a championship more interest is shown."

Your team? How so? Do you own it? Are the players your friends?

Aren't they just a random group of physical performers who are only in CHicago because they are paid to be there? Do you suppose they care about you? Or even know you exist?

"I kind of look at sports as a diversion. A pastime and nothing more then that."

It is much more than that for many people. It is an obsession; a "hobby" and an ersatz form of activity. They think they are involved somehow because "their team" won. They are happy if that happens - as if they achieved something themselves. And they get gloomy and sad if "their" team loses.

Pathetic.

"Some of them like Coby or Lebron James are awesome to watch. "

They're also vile thugs - whom the fans have turned into millionaires.