Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Annoying GM DRLs

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,732

    Annoying GM DRLs

    I hate DRLs, period - but GM's DRLs are especially annoying.

    Yes, you can turn them off (on new/recent GM cars, anyhow). But you have to do it every time you start the car - and when the DRLs are off, the info screen that normally displays, say, the outside temperature or the odometer reading refuses to show anything except "Auto Headlights Off."

    To me, this is a super passive-aggressive way of trying to force you into leaving the DRLs on, even when you'd rather have them off. Because if you turn them off, GM helpfully cancels out other info on the display until you give up and turn the DRLs back on.

    I'd like to have a big Blow Away DRLs Party - where we could blast away at DRLs with shotguns and such.


    I think it'd feel really good...

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I hate DRLs, period - but GM's DRLs are especially annoying.

    Yes, you can turn them off (on new/recent GM cars, anyhow). But you have to do it every time you start the car - and when the DRLs are off, the info screen that normally displays, say, the outside temperature or the odometer reading refuses to show anything except "Auto Headlights Off."

    To me, this is a super passive-aggressive way of trying to force you into leaving the DRLs on, even when you'd rather have them off. Because if you turn them off, GM helpfully cancels out other info on the display until you give up and turn the DRLs back on.

    I'd like to have a big Blow Away DRLs Party - where we could blast away at DRLs with shotguns and such.


    I think it'd feel really good...
    I don't have a problem with them.
    What are yours?
    Trevor

  3. #3
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,732
    Quote Originally Posted by tcolby View Post
    I don't have a problem with them.
    What are yours?
    It's asinine to burn headlights in bright daylight.

    DRLs make motorcycles less visible in traffic.

  4. #4
    Administrator Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lincolnshire, United Kingdom.
    Posts
    3,416
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    It's asinine to burn headlights in bright daylight.

    DRLs make motorcycles less visible in traffic.
    For years in the UK bikers, in an attempt to reduce the number of 'SMIDSY' accidents, used their headlights as an conspicuity aid. It worked well until some lunatic thought up the idea of fitting cars with auto DRLs. In one stroke that removed the greatest safety aid we bikers had. Now when drivers see a bike headlight the reaction, quite often, is 'Oh, there is a car a long way away, I've got loads of room to pull out.' After the crunch, providing the biker is still alive the excuse is 'Sorry Mate, I Didn't See You.' now commonly known as a SMIDSY. Here in Lincolnshire we have a high percentage of car drivers who not only drive, in broad daylight, on full headlights, they also have their fog lights and high intensity rear lights on as well.

    Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

  5. #5
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,732
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    For years in the UK bikers, in an attempt to reduce the number of 'SMIDSY' accidents, used their headlights as an conspicuity aid. It worked well until some lunatic thought up the idea of fitting cars with auto DRLs. In one stroke that removed the greatest safety aid we bikers had. Now when drivers see a bike headlight the reaction, quite often, is 'Oh, there is a car a long way away, I've got loads of room to pull out.' After the crunch, providing the biker is still alive the excuse is 'Sorry Mate, I Didn't See You.' now commonly known as a SMIDSY. Here in Lincolnshire we have a high percentage of car drivers who not only drive, in broad daylight, on full headlights, they also have their fog lights and high intensity rear lights on as well.

    Ken.
    Same here - it's infuriating. Serves no good purpose and creates many problems.

    Also: It's now much harder for funeral processions to be seen (where they are, where they begin - and where they end). As well as emergency vehicles, such as ambulances and so on.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Raleigh NC, USA
    Posts
    3,628
    Are the GM DRLs run with separate bulbs?

    How hard would it be to pull them, only replacing them in time for the annual inspection?

    Chip H.

  7. #7
    Senior Member misterdecibel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Posts
    3,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    For years in the UK bikers, in an attempt to reduce the number of 'SMIDSY' accidents, used their headlights as an conspicuity aid. It worked well until some lunatic thought up the idea of fitting cars with auto DRLs. In one stroke that removed the greatest safety aid we bikers had. Now when drivers see a bike headlight the reaction, quite often, is 'Oh, there is a car a long way away, I've got loads of room to pull out.' After the crunch, providing the biker is still alive the excuse is 'Sorry Mate, I Didn't See You.' now commonly known as a SMIDSY. Here in Lincolnshire we have a high percentage of car drivers who not only drive, in broad daylight, on full headlights, they also have their fog lights and high intensity rear lights on as well.

    Ken.
    In the USA, it wasn't a choice, motorcycles have been required to run with their headlights on for as long as I can remember. At least in my state...

  8. #8
    Senior Member Mase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    840
    The DRL's on my Saturn and Caddy don't really bother me.

    If I really had a problem with them, I would wire up a separate switch and relay to be able to turn them off. Doesn't seem like a hard project.

Similar Threads

  1. Department of More Annoying Technology
    By Eric in forum Automotive News
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-01-2010, 10:29 AM
  2. Straight talk for GM about OnStar and DRLs
    By Eric in forum Fight Traffic Tickets/Driving Issues
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-28-2009, 07:33 PM
  3. Department of Annoying Technology
    By Eric in forum Fight Traffic Tickets/Driving Issues
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-11-2008, 06:54 AM
  4. Annoying wiper problem
    By Eric in forum Car Care & Repair
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 02-18-2008, 11:04 PM
  5. What's most annoying?
    By Eric in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 104
    Last Post: 11-12-2007, 07:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •