Thread: Block sealers

Block sealers

Has anybody had any luck with the block sealers you add to the cooling system to stop a coolant leak? I've got a '98 Ford Taurus with the 3.0 V-6. It's been a good car and gets good mileage. I've had a coolant loss that I've been trying to find for months. The dye has finally done it's job. The leak seems to either be a rotted expansion plug on the head gasket is leaking coolant on the outside. I can't see where it's leaking at but it's over the starter.I've heard a lot of people swear by the sealants but I remember seeing people put "Engine Restore" into engines and the oil pumps locked up. If the engine didn't have close to 150K on it (it uses 1 quart of oil every 3000 miles) I'd pull the heads, deck them and put new gaskets in. I've seen new heads and valve blow the rings out of high mileage engines. I sleep good at night and don't want to push a lemon off on someone else. I want to fix it right. Mom is getting more feeble and can't get in and out of it so the car will be replaced soon with something with bigger doors.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    Has anybody had any luck with the block sealers you add to the cooling system to stop a coolant leak? I've got a '98 Ford Taurus with the 3.0 V-6. It's been a good car and gets good mileage. I've had a coolant loss that I've been trying to find for months. The dye has finally done it's job. The leak seems to either be a rotted expansion plug on the head gasket is leaking coolant on the outside. I can't see where it's leaking at but it's over the starter.I've heard a lot of people swear by the sealants but I remember seeing people put "Engine Restore" into engines and the oil pumps locked up. If the engine didn't have close to 150K on it (it uses 1 quart of oil every 3000 miles) I'd pull the heads, deck them and put new gaskets in. I've seen new heads and valve blow the rings out of high mileage engines. I sleep good at night and don't want to push a lemon off on someone else. I want to fix it right. Mom is getting more feeble and can't get in and out of it so the car will be replaced soon with something with bigger doors.
    How much is the car worth? And how unhappy will you be if the results are not, er, good?

I put those pour-in block sealers in the "motor honey" category. They hide the underlying problem (maybe, and temporarily) but they don't fix it. And as you note, they may cause more problems than you had.

If it were me, I'd either fix the car right - or sell it with disclosure. Le the prospective buyer know it has an issue and price accordingly.

Then you can sleep well at night!