Thread: Radar detector interference

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Radar detector interference

I've noticed this problem with several new cars I've test-driven over the past year or two...

Usually, it's a high-end luxury car equipped with sonar/radar-guided cruise control or something similar.

There's no doubt in my mind these features radiate some sort of signal, because my V1 will suddenly go off for no reason (we live in the rural country and this happens in my driveway sometimes, which is a long gravel deal and there is no cop or anyone else anywhere near by). Sometimes, all the lights on the V1 will flash at once.

Two specific brands are the worst offenders: Acura and Audi. Some of these cars emit so much "noise" the V1 is all but useless.

So, just an FYI about all the techno-shit they keep putting into cars. It could cripple your radar detector, or make it squawk so much with false warnings that you won't want to use it... .

Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I've noticed this problem with several new cars I've test-driven over the past year or two...

Usually, it's a high-end luxury car equipped with sonar/radar-guided cruise control or something similar.

There's no doubt in my mind these features radiate some sort of signal, because my V1 will suddenly go off for no reason (we live in the rural country and this happens in my driveway sometimes, which is a long gravel deal and there is no cop or anyone else anywhere near by). Sometimes, all the lights on the V1 will flash at once.

Two specific brands are the worst offenders: Acura and Audi. Some of these cars emit so much "noise" the V1 is all but useless.

So, just an FYI about all the techno-shit they keep putting into cars. It could cripple your radar detector, or make it squawk so much with false warnings that you won't want to use it... .
    Yeah, that has been around for a while. It started with trucks a number of years ago. They were the first to use radar based cruise control and collision avoidance systems back in the early 2000's

Don't use a radar detector but one thing I have noticed - and it is darn infuriating - if I inadvertently park in an area where there is a strong radio signal, such as a mobile phone mast, it is sometimes nearly impossible to deactivate the alarm system on my car. As the alarm also locks all four dors I'm stuck until I can finally manage to switch the alarm off. This can take up to half an hour!

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Don't use a radar detector but one thing I have noticed - and it is darn infuriating - if I inadvertently park in an area where there is a strong radio signal, such as a mobile phone mast, it is sometimes nearly impossible to deactivate the alarm system on my car. As the alarm also locks all four dors I'm stuck until I can finally manage to switch the alarm off. This can take up to half an hour!

Ken.
    Given how much electronic "noise" is now out there it's amazing our gadgets work at all!

Given how much electronic "noise" is now out there it's amazing our gadgets work at all!
    You know, a few years back, say the mid Seventies on, I had an after market Cruise Control on my ol' Studebaker pick-up. When ever we were traveling between Salem and Eugene Oregon, there was some sort of a sub station that would kill my Cruise. At times going by a Stater using his Two Way would also kill it. In that respect, it turned out to be a darn good Fuzz Buster for me... In addition to the remote not working while parked near to a Cell Tower, I found a very unique slot in the side of the door. And low and behold, that long, metal thing in my hand fit right into that slot. What was more surprising is that darn thing would allow me to rotate that metal object within that slot, and I'll be darned, the door unlock itself. Amazing , this new modern Technology....huh?

Quote Originally Posted by J. ZIMM View Post
    You know, a few years back, say the mid Seventies on, I had an after market Cruise Control on my ol' Studebaker pick-up. When ever we were traveling between Salem and Eugene Oregon, there was some sort of a sub station that would kill my Cruise. At times going by a Stater using his Two Way would also kill it. In that respect, it turned out to be a darn good Fuzz Buster for me... In addition to the remote not working while parked near to a Cell Tower, I found a very unique slot in the side of the door. And low and behold, that long, metal thing in my hand fit right into that slot. What was more surprising is that darn thing would allow me to rotate that metal object within that slot, and I'll be darned, the door unlock itself. Amazing , this new modern Technology....huh?
    The technical term for that metal rod is, I understand, a key - that is spelt K E Y. Like you I found it would, by miraculous mechanical demonry, open the doors. What it wouldn't do though was turn the b****y alarm off - it is most embarrasing being surrounded by armed police waving batons, machines guns and tazers, with slavering hound dogs lunging for a kill, whilst protesting one's innocence.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.