Thread: Back to the future in the backwoods. (speed limit rant)

Back to the future in the backwoods. (speed limit rant)

Remember my recent road trip story? Sorry, no pictures, as my cell phone camera went wonky and wont take pics. Anyway...

I recall driving up through Cumberland, MD on my way to the WV state line. When I got to WV, I saw a sign saying SPEED LIMIT: 70. Yeah, seventy miles an hour! It was like that in KY, too. Although traffic (particularly truck traffic) was pretty hairy at times, everyone showed proper lane courtesy. It really was like being in 1972 all over again. On my way home, I had gotten so spoiled after 14 straight hours of that, when I arrived in the DC area I was amazed at the crazy driving, left lane hogging, and general automotive douchebaggery.

We really do need more realistic speed limits here in NoVA. We will get them...when pigs fly.
    If we should give Abraham Lincoln credit for uniting America, then we should give Adolf Hitler credit for uniting Europe, as both men used the same methods for the same goals.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RebelKnightCSA View Post
    Remember my recent road trip story? Sorry, no pictures, as my cell phone camera went wonky and wont take pics. Anyway...

I recall driving up through Cumberland, MD on my way to the WV state line. When I got to WV, I saw a sign saying SPEED LIMIT: 70. Yeah, seventy miles an hour! It was like that in KY, too. Although traffic (particularly truck traffic) was pretty hairy at times, everyone showed proper lane courtesy. It really was like being in 1972 all over again. On my way home, I had gotten so spoiled after 14 straight hours of that, when I arrived in the DC area I was amazed at the crazy driving, left lane hogging, and general automotive douchebaggery.

We really do need more realistic speed limits here in NoVA. We will get them...when pigs fly.
    NoVa (the DC area) is a hopeless miasma....

Rural VA is entirely different; speed limits on many sections of highways up here are now up to 70 again.

Still, they really ought to be 80 - which would be all of 5 mph faster than they were in 1970.

I'm not arguing that everyone should drive 80; I am arguing that it's bullshit to hassle drivers for going that fast per se - in a modern car on a modern highway in good conditions.

80 mph on a road like I-81 can be perfectly "reasonable and prudent"- and ought to be legal. too.