Thread: Notice how sports verbiage has infected work?

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Notice how sports verbiage has infected work?

It's not just a job; you're part of "the team."

The implication being, these are your comrades; you're part of a group and owe loyalty to the "team."

Which is lumpy, corn-encrusted bullshit of the worst sort.

People at work may be your colleagues, or your boss, or the people you supervise. They are not your "team."

This loathsome language is used to psych-fuck you into the proper (to the corporatocracy) collectivist mindset; you're no longer an individual - someone there to perform a specific task. You're actually an amorphous appendage of some giant amoeba - "the team" - and when "the team" needs you to do some thing that has nothing to do with your actual job - as when your supervisor pressures you to take on the responsibilities of some other worker who is out sick/on vacation (because the employer was too cheap to hire a temp. or short-sighted and cheap to have sufficient staff on hand to deal with such things).

Naturally, with no extra pay.

You're not a "team player" if you do other than enthusiastically sign on. Rah-Rah! I'm doing it for "the team"!

Many employers also now force their poor employees to participate in loathsome "team building" exercises that often require them to engage in some physical activity that they may have absolutely no interest in and which (obviously) has nothing whatsoever to do with their work. Sometimes, these "team building" gag-me fests take place on weekends, or outside of work hours. Just as if you'd signed up for the local softball league - even though you hate softball and would rather do anything else.

The workers (team-mates) are peer-pressured into plastering manufactured, Joker-style grins on their faces and pretend they are having "fun" with "their friends" - who are often anything but.

If you don't play along - if you show any signs of resentment, or even lack of enthusiasm - well, you must not be a team player!

Organized sports and religion are the two things that are going to drag true humanity into the tar pits and sink it forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    It's not just a job; you're part of "the team."

Organized sports and religion are the two things that are going to drag true humanity into the tar pits and sink it forever.
    With a situation like that it is not likely that any one of the team ever gets promoted. Usually new team leaders would be brought in from elsewhere.
    Just another ploy to control the workers and make the mega rich even richer.
    Trevor

"THE TEAM, THE TEAM"...Been there, done that.. Any organization will come up with that "Pep" talk. I don't care what job you are on. In Schools, If you're not a Coach, you are lower that dirt, until they need something from you. Then you are brought up to ground level, maybe. I have worked for companies , from Asphalt Manufacturing to Teaching in the classroom. I want to be more than just the water boy. And it's the same even off the job..... Maybe the 'water boy' needs to empty his or her bucket....

Quote Originally Posted by tcolby View Post
    With a situation like that it is not likely that any one of the team ever gets promoted. Usually new team leaders would be brought in from elsewhere.
    Yep, it is a matter of simple logic. A team leader needs to be in control at all times. The reason team members rarely get promoted within their own team is usually because the team members are perceived as being 'too friendly' both in and out of the workplace. A new leader, from outside the team, has no allegiance except to his manager and can maintain team performance and discipline more easily. I have promoted someone from within the 'team' but he was a somewhat exceptional person, even then there were some problems, initially, as others in the department found his new role difficult to accept.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Quote Originally Posted by tcolby View Post
    Just another ploy to control the workers and make the mega rich even richer.
    Yup..

This is 100% on the money.

I live it and breathe it 40 hours a week, sometime longer when I am lucky.

Just had this EXACT thing happen to me a couple months ago.

Verbal confirmation of 20% increase in pay, then on game day in the 11th hour was given an offer letter of 10% less.

I declined.

The team brought in a new player and gave them well over 20%.

GO TEAM!

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Yup..

This is 100% on the money.

I live it and breathe it 40 hours a week, sometime longer when I am lucky.

Just had this EXACT thing happen to me a couple months ago.

Verbal confirmation of 20% increase in pay, then on game day in the 11th hour was given an offer letter of 10% less.

I declined.

The team brought in a new player and gave them well over 20%.

GO TEAM!
    This shit is everywhere; no doubt they'd have wanted disproportionate "productivity" from you in return, too.

Didya see the thing I posted about the "offer" I got from High Gear Media?

http://www.ericpetersautos.com/forum...ad.php?t=15247

Keep your eyes on the goal line, come out of the huddle pumped, move the ball forward, GO TEAM!

-A man's greatest mistake is to think he is working for somebody else.