Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saw a K-Car the other day...

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    We have a couple of Crossfires running around locally. I will admit that I like the brutish looks and could be tempted if one came up at the right price. The SLK background I was not aware of but, much as I like the SLK I think the Crossfire is not so - what's the word I'm looking for - 'Feminine' I think, a bit like the BMW Z3.

Ken.
    You nailed it!

The SLK is more of a chick car than the Crossfire.

In platinum silver, it looks pretty neat, I think.

It's just that Chrysler junk under the hood....

Park an SL and an SLK side by side and you'll see that the SL is the basis for the crossfire. The K in SLK stands for Kurtz (short) as in short wheel base. I went out to the dealer to get some parts for my SL and an SLK parked next to it. That short wheel base looks to be a rough ride on the highway.

Now, speaking of knock offs of Mercedes, Hyundai is going that route but Toyota has been even more of a copy cat. I had a '90 Toyota Camry a while back and even the little details were copies of the Mercedes. Windshield, ignition switch and basic body profile. Take a quick glance at a Lexus and the comparable M-B and you have trouble telling them apart. Even the nomenclature is similar. A Mercedes SL is copied to make the Lexus LS.

I read a recent article on loss of public value. BP was the biggest loser at 100% loss of value but Toyota was number 10 with a 20% loss.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    Park an SL and an SLK side by side and you'll see that the SL is the basis for the crossfire. The K in SLK stands for Kurtz (short) as in short wheel base. I went out to the dealer to get some parts for my SL and an SLK parked next to it. That short wheel base looks to be a rough ride on the highway.

Now, speaking of knock offs of Mercedes, Hyundai is going that route but Toyota has been even more of a copy cat. I had a '90 Toyota Camry a while back and even the little details were copies of the Mercedes. Windshield, ignition switch and basic body profile. Take a quick glance at a Lexus and the comparable M-B and you have trouble telling them apart. Even the nomenclature is similar. A Mercedes SL is copied to make the Lexus LS.

I read a recent article on loss of public value. BP was the biggest loser at 100% loss of value but Toyota was number 10 with a 20% loss.
    The SLK/Crossfire is a bit darty; it's also surprisingly heavy given its size. About 3,200 lbs., empty. It wasn't really sports car; but it's too small to be a GT... . So what was it for, exactly?

I'd say it was built for the Trophy Wife to take to the tennis club...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    The SLK/Crossfire is a bit darty; it's also surprisingly heavy given its size. About 3,200 lbs., empty. It wasn't really sports car; but it's too small to be a GT... . So what was it for, exactly?

I'd say it was built for the Trophy Wife to take to the tennis club...

Actually, SL stands for Sport Leicht (sport light) but none of them are really that light. Mine weighs in around 3400 pounds and while it does handle pretty well, it's really more of a grand touring car. It has plenty of room for long drives, handles pretty well, even after 28 years on the road, still makes an impression (owning a Mercedes SL doesn't mean you HAVE money, it means you HAD money), and is just a blast to drive. There is enough room inside for comfort and there is enough room in the trunk for a weekend get away for two. For one, it's a good car for coast to coast drives. My back does give me fits getting in and out so I don't drive it much but once I'm in, I'm quite comfortable.

I've been at cruise ins where Crossfire owners will park next to my car but the R107 went out of production in '89. Current SLs are a couple of generations removed from mine. My '82 looks a little lower to the ground than a Crossfire.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    Actually, SL stands for Sport Leicht (sport light) but none of them are really that light. Mine weighs in around 3400 pounds and while it does handle pretty well, it's really more of a grand touring car. It has plenty of room for long drives, handles pretty well, even after 28 years on the road, still makes an impression (owning a Mercedes SL doesn't mean you HAVE money, it means you HAD money), and is just a blast to drive. There is enough room inside for comfort and there is enough room in the trunk for a weekend get away for two. For one, it's a good car for coast to coast drives. My back does give me fits getting in and out so I don't drive it much but once I'm in, I'm quite comfortable.

I've been at cruise ins where Crossfire owners will park next to my car but the R107 went out of production in '89. Current SLs are a couple of generations removed from mine. My '82 looks a little lower to the ground than a Crossfire.
    I meant SLK (not SL). The Crossfire shares its underthings with the former...

The SL has much better proportions; the SLK is too stubby (and current issue versions too baroque).

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    the SLK is too stubby (and current issue versions too baroque).
    As befits its designation: the K stands for Kurz (short).

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
    As befits its designation: the K stands for Kurz (short).
    Those nose on that thing (current model) is more baroque than a Liberace stage set!