Thread: Car dealer maggot

Car dealer maggot

One of my wife's friends purchased a 1993 Volvo from a southern state - it looks great and runs well.

She took it to a local Volvo dealer (here in Mpls) for a tune up. They told her that the car was "too old" and they don't work on older vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by dBrong View Post
    One of my wife's friends purchased a 1993 Volvo from a southern state - it looks great and runs well.

She took it to a local Volvo dealer (here in Mpls) for a tune up. They told her that the car was "too old" and they don't work on older vehicles!
    Even just a tune up at the dealer might cost more than the car is worth.
    Trevor

Dealers don't like working on older vehicles because the plastics get brittle. And if the mechanic breaks something, they're on the hook for replacing the hard-to-find part.

Chip H.

Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    Dealers don't like working on older vehicles because the plastics get brittle. And if the mechanic breaks something, they're on the hook for replacing the hard-to-find part.

Chip H.
    I would have thought that there would be plenty of small garages more than capable and quite willing to work on a '93 Volvo (Usually at a cost far short of the price a dealer would charge). Having said that, my main Toyota dealership is quite happy to carry out any service or maintenance on my '97 Carina SE Auto and, at the same time, is quite happy for me to have any routine work carried out at my local village workshop.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Yeah. Sounds familiar.

At one point a couple years ago, the Caddy dealer started being less and less eager to work on my 1989 Fleetwood. The last straw was when the air shocks developed a problem and wouldn't level any more - the rear end bottomed out and wouldn't come up. I took it to the MOTORMAN, my favorite radio mechanic, hoping he would just be able to replace the air shocks with some standard, heavy duty shocks. But he had no trouble fixing it. They specialize in classic cars, rods, muscle cars from the 60's and 70's and other exotics. If it can be fixed they can fix it, and they charge an arm and a leg to do it. I finally traded it in for my Current DTS. Got $800 in trade; Blue Book retail was around $2000.

Then I had the same problem with my '90 Jag XJ6. Dealer basically uninterested in doing much more than oil changes. Again the excuse "Can't get parts." But again, there are mechanic/artistes who can do it - for a price. Lotsa parts at the junque yards.

Dealers seem to want to fix only recent models and don't much "fix" anything as much as they just change parts.
    A man's greatest mistake is to think he is working for somebody else.

They told her that the car was "too old" and they don't work on older vehicles!
    There exists the possibility that they don't have a mechanic who is old enough to work on it, e.g. able to work without specific guidance from a computer.

The concern about plastics getting brittle is equally valid.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHalloran View Post
    There exists the possibility that they don't have a mechanic who is old enough to work on it, e.g. able to work without specific guidance from a computer.

The concern about plastics getting brittle is equally valid.
    Well, there is that.

Had my Jag worked on at the dealer once and they had to wait a week before the only "real" Jaguar mechanic they had got back from Jury duty.

Any decent Ford mech can work on the new ones.
    A man's greatest mistake is to think he is working for somebody else.