What Skype (?) is, or RSS...

I vaguely know about BlueToof - but don't use it or expect to.

Ditto "apps" and all the rest of it.

I just don't see the pressing need. I can remember, oh, 1990. Pre-Google, when life went on quite well without all this stuff.

Better, arguably.

We had more time to ourselves, for one. No constant interruptions by beeping electronic devices.

We had fewer hassles. No sail fawn meant no dropped calls; real phones actually work. I know they don't play ring tones or movies. I really don't give a fuck.

We had more money. Because you didn't feel the current societal pressure to buy a $400 iPhone and sign up for a monthly "plan" that cost more than six-months of old-time land line phone service once cost. $400 bought you a nice TV. Today people feel they must have a $1,500 flat screen. HD and BluRay.

On top of the $400 sail fawn and all the rest of it.

Are we happier? More free from hassles and stress?

Everyone knows the answer.

I'm not saying that technology is bad; I am saying that this conveyor belt of "the latest thing" everyone is pressured to jump onto is exhausting, draining and mostly unnecessary.

We've convinced ourselves (or been convinced) that we must have all these gadgets, but the truth is we don't.

The pace of life is becoming dangerously frenetic and endlessly distracted over things that just don't matter, in the grand scheme of things.

We need more time to think, to engage in real conversations; to not be constantly harassed by "the latest thing."

But that would be at odds with what the corporatocracy has in mind for us...