Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Toyota problems go back to 2003, apparently

  1. #1
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,750

    Toyota problems go back to 2003, apparently

    Toyota Motor Corp. knew of at least six sudden acceleration incidents as early as 2003, including some that were verified by its own technicians and dealers, according to court documents filed Monday as part of sprawling litigation against the Japanese automaker.

    The incidents were reported to Toyota and culled from thousands of pages of internal documents that were included in filings made in U.S. District Court in Orange County.

    Hundreds of lawsuits have been filed against Toyota in state and federal court after the automaker began recalling millions of vehicles because of acceleration problems in several models and brake glitches with the Prius hybrid.

    Toyota has blamed faulty floor mats and sticky accelerator pedals for the unintended acceleration. Some plaintiffs also claim Toyota's electronic throttle control system has a defect, but Toyota denies that allegation.

    One of the new filings seeks class-action status for vehicle owners claiming the value of their cars has diminished because of alleged defects, while the other claims damages for motorists injured or killed in accidents blamed on sudden acceleration.

    Specific information about the incidents, however, was barred from public view to protect customers' privacy and the complaints did not list the dates of problems or the year or the model of each Toyota involved.

    In a statement, Toyota said it looked forward to defending itself against the allegations.

    "Toyota has identified two specific mechanical causes of potential unintended acceleration in some of its vehicles and has moved decisively to address these issues with effective and durable solutions," the statement said. "Toyota rejects claims that plaintiffs suffered economic damages because of the recent recalls."

  2. #2
    johnDonn
    Guest
    This is serious matter about acceleration.I t is nice thread it providing the well information about Toyota acceleration.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,429
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Toyota Motor Corp. knew of at least six sudden acceleration incidents as early as 2003, including some that were verified by its own technicians and dealers, according to court documents filed Monday as part of sprawling litigation against the Japanese automaker.
    Think about this: Suppose you have the cruise set to 70, and then the speedo signal goes to zero. I guess the car is gonna keep accelerating. Now the brake should cancel the cruise, but if there is some kind of 'critical race' in the software/hardware - other interrupts may be locked out!

  4. #4
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,750
    Quote Originally Posted by dBrong View Post
    Think about this: Suppose you have the cruise set to 70, and then the speedo signal goes to zero. I guess the car is gonna keep accelerating. Now the brake should cancel the cruise, but if there is some kind of 'critical race' in the software/hardware - other interrupts may be locked out!
    This is what happens when you turn an already perfected appliance into a road-locked lunar orbiter!

    A TBI unit controlled by a cable is "perfect." It's simple, easy to diagnose - and it freaking works!

    All this drive-by-wire Super Algorithm multiplexed bullshit is just asking for trouble.

    And does it actually produce a significant improvement in drivability or fuel economy?

    I doubt it.

    A TBI/throttle cable-controlled car from 1990 starts, runs and drives just as well as a 2010 car with drive-by-wire and all that other crap. And it's more reliable and much easier (and cheaper) to fix if something goes awry.

  5. #5
    Staff
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,126
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    This is what happens when you turn an already perfected appliance into a road-locked lunar orbiter!

    A TBI unit controlled by a cable is "perfect." It's simple, easy to diagnose - and it freaking works!

    All this drive-by-wire Super Algorithm multiplexed bullshit is just asking for trouble.

    And does it actually produce a significant improvement in drivability or fuel economy?

    I doubt it.

    A TBI/throttle cable-controlled car from 1990 starts, runs and drives just as well as a 2010 car with drive-by-wire and all that other crap. And it's more reliable and much easier (and cheaper) to fix if something goes awry.
    Agreed. Another thing that gets me is the use of hydraulic clutches. My 1987 Acura Integra had a cable actuated clutch that works just as well or better than complicated hydraulic units with their master and slave cylinders.

Similar Threads

  1. Common thread linking Toyota problems?
    By chiph in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-05-2010, 11:41 PM
  2. Comp Sci Guess About Toyota Problems
    By dBrong in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-12-2010, 11:02 AM
  3. Apparently, Focus is doing ok!
    By Eric in forum Automotive News
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-20-2008, 02:52 PM
  4. Speaking of Toyota's quality problems....
    By Eric in forum Advice/Questions/Tips
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-20-2008, 05:03 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-07-2007, 05:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •