Thread: Corps keep destroying American workers (a personal story)

Corps keep destroying American workers (a personal story)

This is a story about my daughter and how our current selfish, greedy, ugly system is still operational.

A little background, she has a college education, a tech education (Cordon Bleu), danced professional ballet for a year, and is an intelligent, articulate, attractive, energetic girl.

She became the Executive Pastry Chef for an up and coming resturant with 3 stores. She was a salaried employee, got benefits (vacation, sick leave, etc). She designed menus, trained employees, hired, fired, did anyting they needed.

After 18 months, 'the management' decided that they would purchase many of the deserts (so much for quality, so much for taste). They have now demoted her to pastry cook. Took away her vacation, and cut her wages by $1 / hr. They told her she would get atleast 30 hrs a week - not to worry, she would have enough to pay her bills!

Can you imagine two forty-some year old men railroading a young woman?

They plan on opening 2 more stores this year. They are not short on cash.

This is not the country I was promised when I grew up in 1950 - 60.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dBrong View Post
    This is a story about my daughter and how our current selfish, greedy, ugly system is still operational.

A little background, she has a college education, a tech education (Cordon Bleu), danced professional ballet for a year, and is an intelligent, articulate, attractive, energetic girl.

She became the Executive Pastry Chef for an up and coming resturant with 3 stores. She was a salaried employee, got benefits (vacation, sick leave, etc). She designed menus, trained employees, hired, fired, did anyting they needed.

After 18 months, 'the management' decided that they would purchase many of the deserts (so much for quality, so much for taste). They have now demoted her to pastry cook. Took away her vacation, and cut her wages by $1 / hr. They told her she would get atleast 30 hrs a week - not to worry, she would have enough to pay her bills!

Can you imagine two forty-some year old men railroading a young woman?

They plan on opening 2 more stores this year. They are not short on cash.

This is not the country I was promised when I grew up in 1950 - 60.

Awful.

These business shysters have workers over the proverbial barrel, too.

I hear similar stories literally almost every day.

First, flood the country with Turd Worlders; this depresses wages to Turd World levels by forcing Americans to "compete" with Turd World stoop labor.

Second, export as many jobs as possible to Turd World nations, to further depress/erode the salaries paid to workers here.

Third, wait for the economic destabilization achieved by Steps 1 and 2 above to do their work; then use the resultant fear of loss of employment to pressure the remaining workers to become "more productive" (that is, work longer hours/do more work for the same or less pay, in order to increase the profits made by the shareholder class).

Fourth, convince the average worker to "invest" in the stock market (in lieu of a guaranteed annuity pension) in order to fund an acceleration of Steps 1-3 above.

Viola!

The New America...

That is not a pleasant story, but she does have a choice. Highly qualified, she can find employment where she is appreciated. There has to be plenty of upscale restaurants that won't serve fake desserts. Opportunity is still there to run your own business, too. It isn't easy and Obamie isn't helping make it any easier but there is a lot of satisfaction in being your own boss and the business owner, and she has now learned first hand the correct way to NOT treat employees.

There will always be a place for someone who is the best there is at what they do, but you are correct that it isn't what it used to be. But there have always been idiot business owners and always will be.

One of the reasons I retired early from my airline job was that I no longer was allowed to have the tools necessary to provide high quality service to the customer and I grew weary of having my hands tied and forced to deliver crap service.
    Last edited by Mase; 08-19-2010 at 01:07 PM.
    A man's greatest mistake is to think he is working for somebody else.