Thread: Olds Vista Cruiser Burnout

Staff

Olds Vista Cruiser Burnout

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    I've done it in a '79 98 coupe and an '83 Regency sedan!

The '79 had a 403 (350 Olds with an overbore; same as used in '77-'79 Trans-Ams) and the '83 had a 307.... last of the Oldsmobile V-8s.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I've done it in a '79 98 coupe and an '83 Regency sedan!

The '79 had a 403 (350 Olds with an overbore; same as used in '77-'79 Trans-Ams) and the '83 had a 307.... last of the Oldsmobile V-8s.
    About 1969 - 1970 my grandfathers engineering business (mostly HVAC) had a problem: In Conneticut they would not allow trucks on the turnpike (maybe it was the Meritt Parkway, too long ago). So he bought several of these Vista Cruisers and got Monroe Matic air adjustable shocks. They could hold almost as many tools as a service van

They were 'tuna boats', it seemed like you could turn a corner for forever. A huge car with plenty of torque.

Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by dBrong View Post
    About 1969 - 1970 my grandfathers engineering business (mostly HVAC) had a problem: In Conneticut they would not allow trucks on the turnpike (maybe it was the Meritt Parkway, too long ago). So he bought several of these Vista Cruisers and got Monroe Matic air adjustable shocks. They could hold almost as many tools as a service van

They were 'tuna boats', it seemed like you could turn a corner for forever. A huge car with plenty of torque.
    Being from Connecticut, it was the Merritt Parkway. That's a cool story. My parents had one for 3-4 years until it fell apart. Of course, they weren't good at maintenance/repairs.

I am not sure what engine it had, although I suspect that they had the 400 in their 1969 model.

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    Being from Connecticut, it was the Merritt Parkway. That's a cool story. My parents had one for 3-4 years until it fell apart. Of course, they weren't good at maintenance/repairs.

I am not sure what engine it had, although I suspect that they had the 400 in their 1969 model.
    Wonderful cars!

I was lucky enough to get to drive several '70s and '80s-era Oldsmobiles, before they turned to shit (FWD/downsized).

It was effortless to get these big boats (even the later models, with small V-8s) to do fearsome burnouts. No traction control, rear-wheel-drive and 15-inch wheels with 70-series tires (about the size of the wheels/tires on a new compact econobox) fitted to a 4,000 pound car made that a snap.

Those who are old enough to remember will recall another "trick." For that high-performance sound, you popped the hood, removed the air cleaner lid, flipped it upside down and reinstalled it. This exposed the air cleaner element, so the Quadrajet four barrel could breath more easily. When you floored it, and the carb's secondaries opened up, you'd get to hear this moaning roaring sound unique to a Quadrajet-equipped '70s/early '80s-era V-8.

I'd sure like to do it again someday!

Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Wonderful cars!

I was lucky enough to get to drive several '70s and '80s-era Oldsmobiles, before they turned to shit (FWD/downsized).

It was effortless to get these big boats (even the later models, with small V-8s) to do fearsome burnouts. No traction control, rear-wheel-drive and 15-inch wheels with 70-series tires (about the size of the wheels/tires on a new compact econobox) fitted to a 4,000 pound car made that a snap.

Those who are old enough to remember will recall another "trick." For that high-performance sound, you popped the hood, removed the air cleaner lid, flipped it upside down and reinstalled it. This exposed the air cleaner element, so the Quadrajet four barrel could breath more easily. When you floored it, and the carb's secondaries opened up, you'd get to hear this moaning roaring sound unique to a Quadrajet-equipped '70s/early '80s-era V-8.

I'd sure like to do it again someday!
    They Quadrajets made a nice sound. After we got rid of the Olds, we didn't go back to GM until my parents bought a 1978 Cadillac Seville.

One thing I can't stand these days is the large wheels that automakers put on their cars. I hate paying to replace tires on 16" wheels or larger. It seems like even econoboxes have 16" wheels on the lowliest models. Replacing tires becomes a $700 ordeal.

So much for cheap burnouts.

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    They Quadrajets made a nice sound. After we got rid of the Olds, we didn't go back to GM until my parents bought a 1978 Cadillac Seville.

One thing I can't stand these days is the large wheels that automakers put on their cars. I hate paying to replace tires on 16" wheels or larger. It seems like even econoboxes have 16" wheels on the lowliest models. Replacing tires becomes a $700 ordeal.

So much for cheap burnouts.
    That drives me nuts, too.

Even subcompacts have (at least) 15 inch wheels now; most come with 16s; it's because of the nigger-ized obsession with dem ree-uhms, maaaaahhnn that has pervaded the culture.

The worst part is that small (13 and 14 inch) rubber is becoming scarce - and expensive. Because no one makes new wheels that size anymore.

You used to be able to get $30 tires for a VW Beetle (old model). Now, thanks to the upsizing of tires, virtually every car on the road has $100-per-piece rubber (and that's "inexpensive").