Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: I can't get a job.

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    80

    I can't get a job.

    I'm done with my summer job, now I need another.
    I've applied at wendys, Bk, Mcdonalds, and apparently I'm not qualified to sweep floors or flip burgers...

    Funny thing is, all these places have NOW HIRING signs in the windows or ads in the paper. After two weeks, a bunch of applications and two interviews, they still have the signs up.

    Its hard to get that first car, or (perhaps more importantly) cash for college, without an income.
    HELP



    I think I might start selling on Ebay.

  2. #2
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    23,001
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandonjin View Post
    I'm done with my summer job, now I need another.
    I've applied at wendys, Bk, Mcdonalds, and apparently I'm not qualified to sweep floors or flip burgers...

    Funny thing is, all these places have NOW HIRING signs in the windows or ads in the paper. After two weeks, a bunch of applications and two interviews, they still have the signs up.

    Its hard to get that first car, or (perhaps more importantly) cash for college, without an income.
    HELP



    I think I might start selling on Ebay.
    Amigo -

    I feel for you... the economy is the worst I have ever seen it. When I graduated from college (late '80s) jobs - decent ones, with a future - were readily available. If you wanted to work, you could work.

    Today it's much tougher. Not only is the economy in the crapper but if you do find a job it's much more tenuous than it was "back in the day."

    I read a lot of articles about recent college grads and 20-somethings having to move back home/stay home because that's pretty much the only real option other than a van down by the river.

    I think if I were 22 again, I'd opt for a Bohemian life of adventure.

    I hope things pan out for you and that the economy picks up... for all our sakes.

  3. #3
    Ridin Dirty dom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Front Royal, VA
    Posts
    1,606
    Where do you live and how old are ya?

    Are you checking craigslist, monster, careerbuilder?

    Wearing decent clothes when interviewing, looking presentable?

    Crossing the T's and dotting the I's on your application?

    The key to finding a job is simple, don't stop till you have one.

    The key to finding a good job, I have not a clue!

    "Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,429
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandonjin View Post
    I'm done with my summer job, now I need another.
    I've applied at wendys, Bk, Mcdonalds, and apparently I'm not qualified to sweep floors or flip burgers...

    Funny thing is, all these places have NOW HIRING signs in the windows or ads in the paper. After two weeks, a bunch of applications and two interviews, they still have the signs up.

    Its hard to get that first car, or (perhaps more importantly) cash for college, without an income.
    HELP

    I think I might start selling on Ebay.
    Where are you located?

    How old are you?

    What are your intrests?

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Where do you live and how old are ya?

    Are you checking craigslist, monster, careerbuilder?

    Wearing decent clothes when interviewing, looking presentable?

    Crossing the T's and dotting the I's on your application?

    The key to finding a job is simple, don't stop till you have one.

    The key to finding a good job, I have not a clue!
    WV, 17
    Haven't checked craigslist. I will.
    Yes
    Yes


    @dbrong
    I like cars, or anything that will make me money.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,429
    I like cars, or anything that will make me money.
    How about... car detailing try car dealers, car washes, after market places, auto body shops. Or how about counterman at an auto parts store?

  7. #7
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    23,001
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandonjin View Post
    WV, 17
    Haven't checked craigslist. I will.
    Yes
    Yes


    @dbrong
    I like cars, or anything that will make me money.
    Tech school is a good choice; become ASE certified and you should be able to land a good job working on vehicles. Some of these guys are making $70,000 or more per year. It's a solid skill, too - so you'll always be in demand so long as the economy doesn't totally collapse (and even then, if you can fix machinery, you have a valuable skill).

    Stay away from anything that involves sales/commission.

    Nurses make great money, too - and these days, plenty of dudes are doing it. Pretty much anything in health care is solid.

    If you're going to college, only pursue liberal arts if you aren't worried about making money. Besides, you can acquire a good "classical" education in the humanities on your own; just read a lot. Of everything.

    Don't join the army, whatever you do. You won't be "fightin' fer freedom." You'll just be cannon fodder for the next BS war....

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    80
    @dBrong
    I'll see if any used car dealerships are hiring. I was told that washing cars was a pretty unsatisfying job experience, but I don't really care at this point.

    @Eric
    I'm not joining army. I wouldn't last.
    I was thinking about being a car reviewer, working for Motorweek, Car and Driver, or Motortrend later in life. Or perhaps a profesional driver.
    Sadly, theres no set path, degree, or way to prepare for a career as an automotive tester. But I've read that a degree in mechanical engineering helps.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,429
    I'm with Eric. Get a tech degree. If you like automotive go in that direction.

    They can't outsource mechanics to India, China, etc.

    The painful truth is that engineers are the one's first laid off after the 'contract' is completed. The marketing people make all the money. Also they don't want 'older' engineers - anyone over 50 is kaput.

    Think towards the future... marry some real commonsense gal, that will support you in your career, and be a good mother.

    The real killer is to have a child / children with women you don't intend to marry.

    Think with the big head, not the little head
    Last edited by dBrong; 09-03-2010 at 11:21 PM.

  10. #10
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    23,001
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandonjin View Post
    @dBrong
    I'll see if any used car dealerships are hiring. I was told that washing cars was a pretty unsatisfying job experience, but I don't really care at this point.

    @Eric
    I'm not joining army. I wouldn't last.
    I was thinking about being a car reviewer, working for Motorweek, Car and Driver, or Motortrend later in life. Or perhaps a profesional driver.
    Sadly, theres no set path, degree, or way to prepare for a career as an automotive tester. But I've read that a degree in mechanical engineering helps.
    I'll give you the straight dope: Paid journalism of any sort is vanishing; the Internet and the economy have seen to that. There are probably no more than a few hundred (if that) full-time automotive journalists left - that is, people making enough to live on by writing about cars. Just getting your foot in the door is a near-impossibility, let alone a paid staff position or enough freelance gigs to be able to eat. Most of the magazines (and many of the newspapers) have one (or a small staff) of car writers; often these guys have been there for decades and will never leave (on two feet, on their own).

    Now, the good news!

    You don't need an engineering degree. I know most of the "big names" and most have a liberal arts degree; some (you'd be surprised) know almost nothing about how a car works and couldn't even change their own oil. What you do need is a passion for cars and the ability to write decently, regularly. That is no easy thing. Some guys are brilliant writers, but they can only do it once in awhile. That's ok for authors but for the daily/weekly/monthly grind of working journalism, it won't cut it.

    Next, you need connections; a leg up. Someone to give you a shot. That's where I may be able to help. We (Dom and I and some of the others here) have been talking about drawing in a younger audience, but we're all over 30 and it's probably stupid for us to even try to speak to people in their early-mid 20s. But you're in that age group/a member of that generation. Would you be interested in doing some writing for EPAutos? If you are, send me a PM or e-mail (EPeters952@yahoo.com) and we'll talk about it.... .

  11. #11
    Staff
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,126
    Quote Originally Posted by dBrong View Post
    I'm with Eric. Get a tech degree. If you like automotive go in that direction.

    They can't outsource mechanics to India, China, etc.

    The painful truth is that engineers are the one's first laid off after the 'contract' is completed. The marketing people make all the money. Also they don't want 'older' engineers - anyone over 50 is kaput.

    Think towards the future... marry some real commonsense gal, that will support you in your career, and be a good mother.

    The real killer is to have a child / children with women you don't intend to marry.

    Think with the big head, not the little head
    I second that comment about engineers. Engineers are treated like used newspaper by corporate management and the bean counters. I am fast approaching that age of 50 and have not advanced beyond "engineer." Most of it is my fault - I am simply not interested in being some corporate brown noser who has his nose up managements ass.

    If I were to do it again, I would have gotten a degree in auto mechanics. I do a lot of work on my own car. If I knew more and had access to a lift and tools, I would be able to do the whole enchilada. Being a customer oriented individual with some knack for marketing, I believe that I would have had a shop by the time I was 35-40 or so.

    Since you are young, I would consider doing something like that or the healthcare thing. If I were to do healthcare, I would go into Chiropractic care.
    I think that the healthcare bubble is going to be the next to burst and that a niche field like Chiro may be the way to go. I think that alternative medicine like Chiro, neutriceuticals, accupuncture, exercise sciences and diet modification are possible pathways out of the medical nemesis we find ourselves in.

    Good luck in your search. Keep us posted on your immediate prospects.

  12. #12
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    23,001
    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    I second that comment about engineers. Engineers are treated like used newspaper by corporate management and the bean counters. I am fast approaching that age of 50 and have not advanced beyond "engineer." Most of it is my fault - I am simply not interested in being some corporate brown noser who has his nose up managements ass.

    If I were to do it again, I would have gotten a degree in auto mechanics. I do a lot of work on my own car. If I knew more and had access to a lift and tools, I would be able to do the whole enchilada. Being a customer oriented individual with some knack for marketing, I believe that I would have had a shop by the time I was 35-40 or so.

    Since you are young, I would consider doing something like that or the healthcare thing. If I were to do healthcare, I would go into Chiropractic care.
    I think that the healthcare bubble is going to be the next to burst and that a niche field like Chiro may be the way to go. I think that alternative medicine like Chiro, neutriceuticals, accupuncture, exercise sciences and diet modification are possible pathways out of the medical nemesis we find ourselves in.

    Good luck in your search. Keep us posted on your immediate prospects.
    Amen.

    And - on engineers:

    Don't buy the hype about "computer jobs." These are all being outsourced to China and India, too. If you spend four years getting a degree, then another few busting your ass, you're likely to wake up one day and look in the mirror and see a 40 year old guy with zero job security, probably living contract to contract - and one check away from being broke. Oh yeah - you'll have put up with 20 years of demeaning treatment by the corporate shitheads who hire computer engineers/software people.

    Talk w/Doug (or my wife's Uncle Vic).

    Get a skill they can't outsource, that will always be in demand - even in a shitty economy.

    Expect a rough ride: The next 10-20 years (your "best years," the years when you ought to be building up your career/resume) are looking to be absolute shit. That's if we're lucky. It's very possible the whole economical system - and with it, our tenuous social order - could collapse within a year or three.

    But the upside is you are young. Stay physically fit and keep your head screwed on right. As Swamp says, be careful with women. Picking the right one is easy: She's the one you still want to stay with you after you've had sex. If you go by just sex - and don't really know her, or like her, or have things in common and compatible life goals - you will regret it. And do not even think about having a kid until you are absolutely sure - and can handle it financially.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    80
    Well thanks everyone. Lots of good advice here.
    I'll let you all know whats going on, after reading this I think im going to alter my career path slightly. I'm going to do a little more research though.
    Current prospects are just as bad as they were two days ago, so who knows.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    80
    I got a job. BK decided to give me a chance...
    Its so nice having a job... an income. I'll have enough for a car by X-mas!

  15. #15
    Staff
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,126
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandonjin View Post
    I got a job. BK decided to give me a chance...
    Its so nice having a job... an income. I'll have enough for a car by X-mas!
    Good deal! If you can and if you don't live away from home, save your $$$.

  16. #16
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    23,001
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandonjin View Post
    I got a job. BK decided to give me a chance...
    Its so nice having a job... an income. I'll have enough for a car by X-mas!
    Excellent!

    I'm gonna throw out some advice in the "stuff I learned along the way" department:

    Keep it cheap. Buy an old VW Beetle or something like it in spirit (a solid used Corolla would be good). Something you can pick up for $1,500 that will cost you next to nothing to own (low insurance, low property taxes) and keep up, but which will provide reliable transpo - and which will still be worth about what you paid for it three or four years down the road.

    Save as much money as you can. Don't blow it all on a Mustang or something like that.

    I completely understand wanting a neat car. But poverty sucks. And the surest way to being po' is to put all your money into something that (neat though it may be) is a depreciating money pit, which is what all cars (except a few collectibles and exotics) are.

    I drove a succession of Blue Light Specials when I was in my 20s, including a thrashed (but cheap and reliable) '69 VW fastback and a puke green '73 Super Beetle. I drove the Beetle into DC and back for several years in the early '90s. It was great having a car that was paid-for, that I didn't worry about parking on the street, or care much about when someone bumped into it. But even better, having very low car-related expenses helped me save the 10 percent down payment I needed to buy my first house. This helped me build wealth, which eventually made it possible for me to buy a cool car - and later on, to weather the current economic collapse.

    Cars, like hot girls, can make men lose IQ points and do things they otherwise wouldn't - or would think about more before doing.

    In my opinion, it is much better to bust ass working/saving during your 20s and 30s (even if it means some sacrifices) in order to be financially secure and be free to mostly do what you want to by the time you hit 40 than it is to spend/have fun in your 20s and 30s only to struggling financially and forced to kowtow to the system when you're 40....

  17. #17
    Senior Member Mase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    840
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandonjin View Post
    I got a job. BK decided to give me a chance...
    Its so nice having a job... an income. I'll have enough for a car by X-mas!
    Excellent.

    I worked my way thru school at Burger King.

    It was a while ago. Pay was $1.25 an hour, plus one free meal per shift. Whoppers were 39 cents.

    Gas was 30 cents a gallon. A new VW Beetle was $1995. New Caddy was $5000.

    Good luck.
    A man's greatest mistake is to think he is working for somebody else.

  18. #18
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    23,001
    Quote Originally Posted by Mase View Post
    Excellent.

    I worked my way thru school at Burger King.

    It was a while ago. Pay was $1.25 an hour, plus one free meal per shift. Whoppers were 39 cents.

    Gas was 30 cents a gallon. A new VW Beetle was $1995. New Caddy was $5000.

    Good luck.
    I did my tour at McDonald's. $3.35 per hour, plus one free meal per shift.

    A depressing sign of the times is that one rarely sees American teens working at fast food joints anymore. It's all Turd Wurlders and old people...

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    80
    I'm putting every penny in the bank. Only tapping into that pool on special occasions.

    You don't get a free meal anymore. Meals 50% off. Free small soda when theres no customers.

    I wouldn't get anything particularly cool as a first car. A box on wheels is okay. The only problem with your suggestions is that I've only driven V6s all my life, so switching to a 130 hp 4banger may take some getting used to. Call me cliche' but I like the two extra cylinders.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Mase's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    840
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post

    A depressing sign of the times is that one rarely sees American teens working at fast food joints anymore. It's all Turd Wurlders and old people...
    Not at In-N-Out.

    You see mostly white, college-age kids flipping their burgers. I think they are serious about not hiring illegals.
    A man's greatest mistake is to think he is working for somebody else.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •