Thread: Project I am thinking about....

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Project I am thinking about....

Ever notice how no matter how much space you have you end up filling it - and needing more?

Our old house had a very small, barely two-car, attached garage. No other storage at all.

Our current house has an oversized two-car garage, plus I have a fairly large outbuilding/workshop. Both are now filled to overflowing and I am feeling claustrophobic.

So, I am thinking about building a garage off the back side of our "guesthouse" (a partially finished two-story cottage). I measured out a 16x24 slab, which I think would be enough to let me store one of my trucks (the nice one, which currently sits in the garage next to my Trans-Am and thus eats up most of the space in the "nice" garage). I use the outbuilding to house my tractor, riding mower and lawn stuff as well as power tools and other equipment. My idea is to move my car tools to the proposed new garage, along with the truck, and use it to work on vehicles and store the less-nice ones that I still don't want to leave outside - while transforming the existing garage attached to the main house into mostly a display area - for the Trans-Am plus my "nice" bikes. This garage is already really nice. It is mostly finished (insulated, drywalled; Andersen casement windows) and with some paint and cleaning up, you could almost live in it full-time.

I'm gonna run some numbers and see what I'm looking at to pour a slab and frame up this thing I am thinking about...

I had a 25 x 25 garage built about 10 yrs ago. Have nice wide eaves.

It's really nice to have about 4' - 5' of wall space on each side, and the back wall. It's insulated, and I normally keep it at 50, unless I'm working. Used a gas unit heater (Dayton) from Grainger.

I did install a 'channel drain' in the center of the garage. I now wish that I had a sink with running water.

Don't scrimp on the lighting or the outlets. I have a total of 8, four foot florscent tubes - I can make it like daylight in there.

I ran a phone line and CAT5 - which proved to be very handy. Also a three way light between the house and the garage. If you have a security system run a wire for a motion sensor and smoke alarm.

Finish the floor with two coats of expoxy and mix in the no skid pummice.

I installed two banks of 8' heavy duty shelves (80 linear feet for 10 shelves). Then I went to a organizer store and bought about $300 of plastic storage containers. I took all the stuff I had in cardboard boxes, and organized it in the clear plastic containers. Labeled the containers. Those containers were the best idea my wife ever had.
    Last edited by dBrong; 09-02-2010 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dBrong View Post
    I had a 25 x 25 garage built about 10 yrs ago. Have nice wide eaves.

It's really nice to have about 4' - 5' of wall space on each side, and the back wall. It's insulated, and I normally keep it at 50, unless I'm working. Used a gas unit heater (Dayton) from Grainger.

I did install a 'channel drain' in the center of the garage. I now wish that I had a sink with running water.

Don't scrimp on the lighting or the outlets. I have a total of 8, four foot florscent tubes - I can make it like daylight in there.

I ran a phone line and CAT5 - which proved to be very handy. Also a three way light between the house and the garage. If you have a security system run a wire for a motion sensor and smoke alarm.

Finish the floor with two coats of expoxy and mix in the no skid pummice.

I installed two banks of 8' heavy duty shelves (80 linear feet for 10 shelves). Then I went to a organizer store and bought about $300 of plastic storage containers. I took all the stuff I had in cardboard boxes, and organized it in the clear plastic containers. Labeled the containers. Those containers were the best idea my wife ever had.
    That sounds like the ticket!

And,yeah,I plan to at least make provisions for future water/sink by having the pipes roughed in before I pour the concrete. That way I don't have to smash up the concrete after it's already down! (I learn eventually...)

First off, however large you think you need, add at least 50% to it. Your stuff will expand to fill the space. I had an Amish pole barn type garage built about 5 years ago. I had the moisture barrier put in while they were building it and am glad I did. I've insulated the walls with 1 1/2 inch styrofoam insulation and it stays quite comfortable in there with a small heater in the winter.

Once the floor cured, I painted the floor with an epoxy paint. The paints you see on the car shows are over priced. My lady friends boy was a painter at the time and he got some from Sherwin-Williams and it is wearing like iron. Except for right where I do a lot of work, it looks new. I have managed to scratch it but not much. Two caveats though, add the grit to the paint. It is slick as snot and you WILL bust your butt if you aren't careful. Second, instead of the usual grey, I put down a tan color and didn't add the color flakes. A dropped nut or bolt will show right up on a tan floor where it won't on grey as well as blending in with the speckles.
    Last edited by grouch; 09-02-2010 at 08:22 PM. Reason: I kant spel wurth a durn
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    First off, however large you think you need, add at least 50% to it. Your stuff will expand to fill the space. I had an Amish pole barn type garage built about 5 years ago. I had the moisture barrier put in while they were building it and am glad I did. I've insulated the walls with 1 1/2 inch styrofoam insulation and it stays quite comfortable in there with a small heater in the winter.
    You are quite right. The extra insulation and heating equipment doesn't really add that much to the cost. Nor does the heat. I have an insulated garage door. It get's to be -20 once in a while in Minneapolis.

Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    Once the floor cured, I painted the floor with an epoxy paint. The paints you see on the car shows are over priced. My lady friends boy was a painter at the time and he got some from Sherwin-Williams and it is wearing like iron. Except for right where I do a lot of work, it looks new. I have managed to scratch it but not much. Two caveats though, add the grit to the paint.
    Yeah, if you don't add the grit - you're going to go flat on your ass, or drive through the garage. The 'Sand' color is really nice.

Say Eric, you guys own so many wheels. Do you have to pay annual registration fees and insurance for each. ? I pay $225.00 for my one car each year, plus vehicle safety check which costs $15 yearly, oh yeah, and insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyMan View Post
    Say Eric, you guys own so many wheels. Do you have to pay annual registration fees and insurance for each. ? I pay $225.00 for my one car each year, plus vehicle safety check which costs $15 yearly, oh yeah, and insurance.
    Well, yes and no.

I have two trucks - but they are older (1998 and 2002) so the insurance is pretty cheap (we pay around $280 for the year for both). Insurance here (Rural SW Va.) is relatively affordable compared with many other areas of the country.

I have three motorcycles (1976, 2000 and 2003) total insurance about $300 annually.

Plus the Trans-Am, insured under a "limited use" antique vehicle policy, about $200 annually.

I don't inspect the bikes or the TA, so just two annual $10 inspections for the trucks.

So figure about $1,000 annually to pay the shysters and the government.

But, they are all long-ago paid for - so my monthly payments are zero for everything and maintenance costs are very low because most of the time they don't need much and when they do, I can usually do the repairs myself.

In addition to the the above I also have a diesel tractor (with plow attachment), riding lawn mower, push mowers(s) plus many garden tools, etc. - plus my hand tools and power tools... so you can see how I fill up the space we've got!

But the key to keeping things affordable is to never, ever buy anything you can't just write a check for. Don't ever sign up for payments - and interest. Debt will eat you alive. Live below your means and you'll be ok - even if you own a whole herd of vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyMan View Post

My annual cost to register each vehicle runs from about $50 for my older stuff with regular plates to $125 for my Mercedes that has an Environmental plate. Indiana lets people buy special plates for an extra fee which goes to the special fund for what ever. The one I have pays a little to a state conservation fund that buys farm land to return it to woods, keeps the hunting system managed and so on. There are all sorts of plates too. Some you have to be a part of a special group like a volunteer firefighter and others you just say you want it. My truck is around $75 because I'm running 9000 plates on it and I pay extra road taxes for the extra weight.

Indiana doesn't have annual inspection. We had it back around '78 or so but it was a farce. People would buy the sticker whether their car could pass or not. I drove a pickup that failed for a year until it was repealed. I think a couple of places have emmissions testing but not around here. Indiana is rather laid back outside of Indianapolis. If you do something stupid and take yourself out of the gene pool, tough luck. Hurt someone else and they come down on you like a ton of bricks.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Here on the West Coast in Oregon, we have several ways of paying for the right to operate a Motor Vehicle. Lets see, you need to chose what plate you want on your car. An ugly "Tree" Plate, which is the cheapest at about $84.00, for two years, a Crater Lake Plate, a Salmon Plate, a Cultural Plate, Which could cost you about a $184.00 for two years, or the grand daddy of all, a Vanity Plate to which you can put almost anything on it, up to six letters or numbers, or a combination of both, as long as it will pass the Censors, for around $199.00 for two years. Or if you have a Antique/Classic Car, you can do a one time license of $84.00 for a life time Tag or year plate. I have noticed some newer Plates for disabled veterans, which there is no fee for those, as it should be. there are some frat Plates, Alumni Plates, and some other special Plates that have come out in the last Two or Three Years. Of course Insurance is another biggie in this State. One car cost me about $285.00 per year, the other two cost about $1400.00 per year. No Insurance, no drivie. Get caught without it, and you will loose your Car, Truck, Bike, or what have you. It makes no difference what State you are from, you do not pass go. The only State Inspections we have are for DEQ. Only certain areas have an Emission program to read the exhaust coming from Autos and Light Trucks. So far we don't have it in my Neck of the Woods. Of course this will cost about $50.00 or so. Vehicles built from 1975 on have to go through this. Oh, there is another one I have not mentioned. Drivers License. We have them on the norm, every Four years. The last one I got was for Eight Years. I believe that one cost around $100.00. If I should live long enough to renew...

Quote Originally Posted by dBrong View Post
    You are quite right. The extra insulation and heating equipment doesn't really add that much to the cost. Nor does the heat. I have an insulated garage door. It gets to be -20 once in a while in Minneapolis.

Yeah, if you don't add the grit - you're going to go flat on your ass, or drive through the garage. The 'Sand' color is really nice.
    When I first moved to this area, I was told to build a shop/garage large enough to put 'stuff' in. The place already came with a 25w x 30L Garage. I had a 40w x 50L x 14h shop added to the back of the existing Garage. We have had 12' of Snow since I've been here. It has gotten down to -18 since I've been here. So, if you have a Winter project that you want to work on, get it inside, or it may become a Summer project again...

" If you do something stupid and take yourself out of the gene pool, tough luck. Hurt someone else and they come down on you like a ton of bricks."

This should be the Foundational Law, from which all else proceeds.

No victim, no crime.

Free to be stupid, so long as your stupidity doesn't harm anyone else.

Harm someone else, expect to be held accountable.

Simple. Moral. Workable.

Which is why we will never get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post

I don't inspect the bikes or the TA, so just two annual $10 inspections for the trucks.
    How do you go about swinging this?

The old vehicles I understand.

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    How do you go about swinging this?

The old vehicles I understand.
    No state inspection for vehicles with "antique" tags ('76 TA and '76 Kz900).

No smog check at all in Floyd County.

I don't inspect the other bikes and have never had a problem. I move to fast for the pigs to see me!