Thread: My new T-Shirt

My new T-Shirt

It has arrived! Now, do I have the balls to wear this in public?

http://www.foulmouthshirts.com/funny...am-T-shirt.htm
    If we should give Abraham Lincoln credit for uniting America, then we should give Adolf Hitler credit for uniting Europe, as both men used the same methods for the same goals.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RebelKnightCSA View Post
    It has arrived! Now, do I have the balls to wear this in public?

http://www.foulmouthshirts.com/funny...am-T-shirt.htm
    We still have free speech (supposedly)....

It's a dream. Now try wearing that shirt on the south side of Chicago,can we say OUCH!

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    It's a dream. Now try wearing that shirt on the south side of Chicago,can we say OUCH!
    Chicongo, you meant!

The part that really annoys me, though, is how the battle flag (and the Lost Cause) are equated with repressing blacks and slavery. The War, of course, was not fought over blacks, or slavery. It was fought over the issue of federal authority; the North wanted an essentially all-powerful, unlimited federal government with the states as administrative "regional offices" of Washington. The South maintained that each individual state was a sovereign entity; that the states had not surrendered their right to peacefully leave the union by ratifying the Constitution if and when they felt that their rights as sovereign states were being encroached upon. The South's position was the position of all the original 13 colonies at the time of the debate over ratification of the Constitution. The right to secede was taken as a given at the time. Had anyone - such as the Federalists, later the Whigs (who became the Republicans) - suggested in 1787 that by signing the Constitution, states gave up the right to secede and delegated all meaningful authority to Washington - the Constitution would never have been ratified.

Blacks and slavery were incidental to the conflict. The Emancipation Proclamation went into effect in 1863 as a war measure that specifically excluded areas of the country not part of the Confederacy or under union control. It only "freed" blacks in Confederate states; it was an attempt to incite a slave rebellion - not to "free" blacks, let alone give them political/social/legal equality.

But today - courtesy of the "victor's history" taught by schools - the Battle Flag is taken as the banner of racial hatred toward blacks, with the true meaning of that flag (the old American republic, which died in 1865) never mentioned or even known by 99 out of 100 people.