Thread: I sure am glad I don't have to deal with this!

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

I sure am glad I don't have to deal with this!

Not anymore, anyhow!

By Ashley Halsey III
    Washington Post

How about if everyone takes Tuesday off? What, you say you can't? Then join the crowd -- of about 1.5 million who plan to drive to work alone after celebrating the traditional end to summer on Labor Day.

The respite from obscene traffic congestion that was July and August is over, a fact punctuated by the dawn of what the local American Automobile Association likes to call "Terrible Traffic Tuesday."

"When the alarm clock sounds Tuesday morning, commuters will once again face a mind-numbing, soul-robbing surge in gridlock for the first time in months," said AAA spokesman John B. Townsend II. "Many of them will drive alone in bumper-to-bumper traffic, along with thousands of school buses transporting nearly a million students, including those heading to school on the Virginia side of the Potomac for the first time."

Townsend says half of the region's 3 million workers will drive to work alone.

AAA has joined with transportation planners who are encouraging commuters to help avert gridlock.

"We are poised to help guide commuters into trying and using great alternatives to driving alone to and from work during this increase in traffic congestion when people are back from vacations and schools are back in session," said Nicholas W. Ramfos, director of Commuter Connections. "Commuters who use alternatives like carpooling, transit and bicycling may find they save money and time and feel less stressed."

The return of the masses to work will coincide with resumption of road work that took a holiday weekend hiatus.

I had to go by the Honda dealer this morning for service. Not only was it Terrible Traffic Tuesday, but also Tropical Storm Tuesday, as we're expecting nearly 5" of rain.

A 20 minute drive took 45 minutes..

Chip H.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    I had to go by the Honda dealer this morning for service. Not only was it Terrible Traffic Tuesday, but also Tropical Storm Tuesday, as we're expecting nearly 5" of rain.

A 20 minute drive took 45 minutes..

Chip H.
    That used to be my life. Constant, oppressive traffic was one of the reason we left Northern Virginia. Driving anywhere had become ay best an unpleasant chore; more commonly, a stress-filled nightmare.

These days, pretty much the worst I have to deal with as far as "traffic" goes is a Blue Hair doing 47 in a 55... and I can almost always pass them at will and be on my way, the road largely my own.