Thread: Stop sign

Talking Stop sign

Did you know that if you are the second car at a stop sign on a through street and after the first car go when traffic is clear, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO STOP as long as you are safe to do so. What do you think?

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChevyMan View Post
    Did you know that if you are the second car at a stop sign on a through street and after the first car go when traffic is clear, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO STOP as long as you are safe to do so. What do you think?
    I think that's a recipe for getting a ticket!

The law (in my state, anyhow) is that every vehicle must come to a complete stop at every stop sign before proceeding.

What you describe is the "California Stop" - and maybe it is legal in CA.... I have no idea... Don?

Auburn, CA & Reno, NV & Cold Springs Valley, NV
    Perhaps there in Hawaii. Not here in CA.

-Don-

Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post

The law (in my state, anyhow) is that every vehicle must come to a complete stop at every stop sign before proceeding.

What you describe is the "California Stop" - and maybe it is legal in CA.... I have no idea... Don?

t may be a recipe for a ticket, but next to the speed limit sign, the stop sign is the most overused traffic control device in the US. In most cases, a stop could be replaced by a yield or no sign at all.

Running a stop sign on a low speed, uncrowded intersection (ie a California stop, not a full run) is probably about as dangerous as making a rolling right on red. Rolling right on reds account for less than 0.0038% of all accidents in the US, or fewer than 20,000 crashes nationwide.

A lot of stop signs should be changed to Yield signs. This way you don't have to stop if there are no other cars.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    t may be a recipe for a ticket, but next to the speed limit sign, the stop sign is the most overused traffic control device in the US. In most cases, a stop could be replaced by a yield or no sign at all.

Running a stop sign on a low speed, uncrowded intersection (ie a California stop, not a full run) is probably about as dangerous as making a rolling right on red. Rolling right on reds account for less than 0.0038% of all accidents in the US, or fewer than 20,000 crashes nationwide.
    Absolutely agree... but if a cop sees you, it's ticket time regardless!

Definitely not legal here.

Staff
    Absolutely agree... but if a cop sees you, it's ticket time regardless!
    Yup! Thats right.

Maybe in Hawaii but not on the main land. A stop sign requires a complete and full stop. If you come to a compltet and full stop and then pull out while someone is speeding, they may be liable, not you. If you do not come to a complete and full stop, then you are at fault. States are free to make their own laws but there is a set of legal templates that most use so that there are no legal challenges.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

On this side of the Rockies, in Oregon, if memory serves me right, there are some rules that makes it legal not to stop. Being the second car at a stop sign. Lets see if I can explain...If you are the second vehicle at a stop sign, and both of you have come to a complete stop, then you as the second car does not have to stop, if the street is clear. In other words, no traffic, as if you were the first car. But the key word is that both vehicles HAVE to come to a complete STOP. That works for both right and left hand turns. Now if there are no stop signs at an intersection, then all traffic must treat it as a four way stop. The vehicle on the right has the right of way over the others. We have that situation here where I live. I'm waiting for some clown to come blasting through a four way intersection. I hope I'm on his right side...Cha ching for the family...

Auburn, CA & Reno, NV & Cold Springs Valley, NV

CA stops are illegal in CA. Not only that, on a motorcycle, if you do not put a foot on the ground at a stop sign, you did NOT stop at all.

-Don-

[QUOTE=J. ZIMM;126676] On this side of the Rockies, in Oregon, if memory serves me right, there are some rules that makes it legal not to stop. Being the second car at a stop sign. Lets see if I can explain...If you are the second vehicle at a stop sign, and both of you have come to a complete stop, then you as the second car does not have to stop, if the street is clear. <<<<<

I agree. That was my thoughts when I posted the mail.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by J. ZIMM View Post
    On this side of the Rockies, in Oregon, if memory serves me right, there are some rules that makes it legal not to stop. Being the second car at a stop sign. Lets see if I can explain...If you are the second vehicle at a stop sign, and both of you have come to a complete stop, then you as the second car does not have to stop, if the street is clear. In other words, no traffic, as if you were the first car. But the key word is that both vehicles HAVE to come to a complete STOP. That works for both right and left hand turns. Now if there are no stop signs at an intersection, then all traffic must treat it as a four way stop. The vehicle on the right has the right of way over the others. We have that situation here where I live. I'm waiting for some clown to come blasting through a four way intersection. I hope I'm on his right side...Cha ching for the family...

It isn't that way in Indiana. Now, I don't know about other states but Indiana traffic statutes state that when you come to a stop sign "You must come to a complete and full stop. If the sign is set back from the intersection, you must pull forward and come to a complete stop again before entering the intersection". This is how the police decide if you are to get a ticket or not. The second stop isn't always enforced but the first one is. In other words, when the car ahead of you goes, you must stop.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.