Thread: Why newspapers are going bankrupt

Why newspapers are going bankrupt

Here in Minneapolis, the Star and Tribune (aka The Red Star, or The Star and Sickle, or The Star and Baboon) newspaper previously went bankrupt.

The newspaper prints mostly press realeases, murders, highway accidents, and wire service articles. There is no investigative reporting. It's so liberal, it makes CNN look like FOX.

What's left of the reporting staff must have an average age of 24. They regularly interchange: there, their, your, you're, are, our, etc.

Here's a gem from today... It's a review of the Dave Matthews Band concert (it's my bolding):

Boyd Tinsley's violin solo ignited "Crush," Tim Reynolds' guitar kept the fire burning and Carter Beauford exploded on drums, propelling Dave to do that dance. The closing jam was so fierce that Reynolds and Beauford fisted each other afterward.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dBrong View Post
    Here in Minneapolis, the Star and Tribune (aka The Red Star, or The Star and Sickle, or The Star and Baboon) newspaper previously went bankrupt.

The newspaper prints mostly press realeases, murders, highway accidents, and wire service articles. There is no investigative reporting. It's so liberal, it makes CNN look like FOX.

What's left of the reporting staff must have an average age of 24. They regularly interchange: there, their, your, you're, are, our, etc.

Here's a gem from today... It's a review of the Dave Matthews Band concert (it's my bolding):

I hope that doesn't imply what I think it does!

lol.

Chip H.

They've since fixed it -- it now says they fist-bumped each other.

http://www.startribune.com/entertain...nciatkEP7DhUsl

Chip H.

The paper here isn't much better. There was an accident because a cars "breaks failed". Too much reliance on spell check.

The local paper raised the price by 50% to pay the paper carriers more money to off set the exorbitant fuel prices a couple of years ago. Gasoline dropped but the paper price stayed the same. They have also cut the size of the paper, and often you don't get an entire paper. I've bought a paper several times and found the classifieds missing. Um...aren't the classified ads what pay the main cost of printing the paper?

The owners are pushing their own agenda more than is normal for editorials. We've got a new arena being built downtown without any parking. The public is told this is a good thing. Now, the old stadium is being talked about being torn down and ball fields being built there. No parking for that either.

Lastly, the city and county are talking about consolidation. The paper is really pushing this and putting a slant on it that would get Fox News laughed off the air. I will be voting against consolidation as it will only mean more tax money for small numbers of developers to push development into residential neighborhoods against the will of the residents.

The local paper is the Courier and Press and their web site is courierpress.com
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    They've since fixed it -- it now says they fist-bumped each other. Chip H.
    There's more to this story. Since the Strib was bleeding cash, heavily, they decided to open the online version for comments.

However the comments are heavily sanitized. They will delete comments not because of hatred, but just because they don't think the author is 'sensitve' enough. It's a newspaper that doesn't believe in the first admendment!

They don't allow comments on African American criminals, or Muslims. However it's open season on white people - like Tom Petters, or Denny Hecker, ... etc.

Today I posted a comment about the review where it clearly said: "they fisted each other", my comment was deleted (sanitized) and the article was edited.

This has happend to me atleast 10 times They make a major fu
    I believe I may be a better writer (and I'm just a software developer), than the most senior person (25?) on their or there or they're staff!
    Last edited by dBrong; 09-16-2010 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    They've since fixed it -- it now says they fist-bumped each other.

http://www.startribune.com/entertain...nciatkEP7DhUsl

Chip H.
    Maybe I can get a hard copy, scan it, and post it!

Since I work for a newspaper, I have to come to our defense to some extent. As far as revenue from classified ads, not as much as we used to, although legal ads have increased as you'd guess. Revenue in recruiting, autos and real estate has tanked. So has our revenue from our major accounts such as Penny's, the cell phone companies, etc. That just leaves our regular retail accounts that we can work with locally. You all know how that is. Circulation revenue helps, but we rely on advertising revenue. Newsprint expenses and personnel expense keep going up.

We have made a conscious effort to hire good reporters and we've done a good job with a couple of exceptions. That's true for any job. We're also part of a corporate structure and some things we have no control over. Some stories we get from the wire services are problems, but our editors don't check them that closely and stuff does get by. I have no problems bringing an error to the executive editor's attention. I also answer the publisher's phone on a recurring basis and take calls from our readers and try to get them the right information. Imagine making a completely new product every day you come to work. That's what we do. However, there is no excuse for poor basic skills and editing. All of our reporter and editor candidates take a spelling test and a test of their Associated Press stylebook skills. Most of the time I am the one testing them which gives me a chance to see what they are like. If I see a candidate that I don't think will work out, I'll tell the editor.

The web address for my paper is www.montgomeryadvertiser.com
    but I invite you who may be interested in the behind the scenes of a major media corporation to take a look at the following blog. Don't believe all you read:

http://gannettblog.blogspot.com
    I'm going quackers!

I miss the Raleigh paper. In comparison to others I've seen around the country, it really was pretty good. Not too much dependence on wire stories, and written to at least a 12 grade education level.

www.newsobserver.com

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    "They don't allow comments on African American criminals..."

I despise that term.

Either you're an American or you're not.

And why is it we're supposed to accept a term that is based explicitly on racial identity, according to the same people who see "racism" around every corner?

Maaaahhhhhhnnn!

Please explain it to me. A white person born in South Africa who emigrated here is somehow not an "African American" - while a black born in Atlanta is?

But it's not about race?

Fuck 'em.

"African Americans" are a boat anchor around the neck of civilization.