Thread: The $50 Chevette!

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

The $50 Chevette!

And it runs, too....

Engine slows down when he turns on the headlights.

A guy I worked with had one, and he used push-pins to hold the headliner up. If he went over a bump, there was a good chance of a divot in your skull..

But yeah, this would be an excellent commuter car.

Chip H.

My brother bought a Chev-it brand new when they first came out. I don't recall exactly but he did not get very many miles on it before it started falling apart. He is not a car guy at all, never did any maintenance, it didn't last very long.
    A man's greatest mistake is to think he is working for somebody else.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mase View Post
    My brother bought a Chev-it brand new when they first came out. I don't recall exactly but he did not get very many miles on it before it started falling apart. He is not a car guy at all, never did any maintenance, it didn't last very long.
    I think the one in the video is a "sport" model. Note the "brushed aluminum" gauge facing... the five-speed stick on the floor!

I would have bought it for $100 - just so I could jam the accelerator pedal to the floor with a stick, smack the transmission into first and watch it drive itself off a cliff....

Actually I'd jump all over this for $50, everything works and it's in reasonable shape and as somebody before mentioned, it would be a decent commuter car. Sure the car was bad, I know becuase my grandpa owned one himself.... my dad had to drive it 50 miles to deliver it to one of my cousins who needed a car... any car. The check engine would come on if you exceeded 70 MPH. But as an economical beater that gets good MPG and is still simple enough to work on myself.... bring it on! Besides I have my Mustang GT as my playtoy....

Staff
    I would clean it up, put a new coat of paint on it, try and drop in a Chevy 2.8 L V6 and burn the back tires off.

The Chevette is a shitbox for sure, but I'm really surprised how good of a shape that one is in.