Thread: Changed sparkplugs earlier this week

Changed sparkplugs earlier this week

on the 2006 Honda Ridgeline, with 60,000 miles on it.

The Ridgeline uses a transverse mounted V6, so you have 3 in the back and 3 in the front. The back 3 were a piece of cake (surprisingly). The front 3 were a pain, as I had to remove the passenger-side cooling fan & shroud to make clearance.

Here's some pics of the old Iridium plugs. They were in very good shape, and probably could have gone to 90,000 miles.

http://imgur.com/a/mZn6d/1#kIwr9

Chip H.

They look to be in really good shape, but I think you did good to change them.

No reason to wait till the plugs fuse to the head before changes.

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

That was part of the reason why I changed them early. They squeaked a bit when I was removing them, so it was time.

18 N-m torque on the new ones.

Chip H.

I always put anti seize on my plugs too!

Actually I put it on a lot of things.

Also put axle grease on all lug nuts studs too!

Purchased my 4runner with 70k on the clock and man I was scared when I changed the plugs. That squeaking noise when removing them scares the crap out of me even though I've heard it millions of times on many vehicles.

I want to put a tuned header on my Saturn shet box, but the thought of removing the exhaust bolts on the head is preventing me from doing it.

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

Yeah, they get rusty enough as it is. I can't imagine what the people living in salt-zone states do. Probably just cut them off.

Chip H.

Auburn, CA & Reno, NV & Cold Springs Valley, NV
    It's not unusual to get more than 100,000 miles out of a decent set of spark plugs in the newer vehicles. In a 2006, I would not even look at the plugs until 100,000 miles, unless there was a noticeable problem in performance. BTW, what does your owner's manual say?

-Don-

Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post

The Ridgeline uses a transverse mounted V6, so you have 3 in the back and 3 in the front. The back 3 were a piece of cake (surprisingly). The front 3 were a pain, as I had to remove the passenger-side cooling fan & shroud to make clearance.
    Chip H.

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom View Post
    It's not unusual to get more than 100,000 miles out of a decent set of spark plugs in the newer vehicles. In a 2006, I would not even look at the plugs until 100,000 miles, unless there was a noticeable problem in performance. BTW, what does your owner's manual say?

-Don-
    My Toyota main dealer advised that my plugs were nearly due for renewal at the 117K mile service. Had them changed at 120K, engine felt a tad smoother but no significant difference overall in the following 2000 miles.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Here's some pics of the old Iridium plugs. They were in very good shape, and probably could have gone to 90,000 miles.

http://imgur.com/a/mZn6d/1#kIwr9

Chip H.
    Yep, but it was smart to go ahead and change them at 60k anyhow. Much less likely to have to deal with seized threads at 90k!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Yep, but it was smart to go ahead and change them at 60k anyhow. Much less likely to have to deal with seized threads at 90k!
    IMAO, if you do a job twice as often as necessary, you're twice as likely to screw something up!

But if plugs are changed when the engine is cold, it's unlikely that there will be any problem. Especially if the anti-seize stuff was used when they were installed.

I change the plugs in my Sebring every 60,000 miles. But that is only because it's an easy job to do during a timing belt replacement. To do either job, the upper intake manifold must be removed. It only has to be removed for the three rear plugs, but that still means . . .

In my Dodge truck, I didn't change the plugs until they all had 110,000 miles on them. And they almost looked like new even then.

I can remember the days when we were lucky to get 3,000 miles out of spark plugs. Now most plugs last almost 40 times as long.

I think there are many reasons. Such as no lead in gasoline, fuel injection keeping the mixture perfect all the time, tighter engines as well as better made plugs.

-Don- SSF, CA

As well as coil-on-plug ignition, which means no energy-losing gap in a distributor.

BTW, the owner's manual says to change them when the maintenance minder (computer) says to. That's likely to be at 90+k, and I just couldn't wait that long.

Chip H.

As well as coil-on-plug ignition, which means no energy-losing gap in a distributor.

BTW, the owner's manual says to change them when the maintenance minder (computer) says to. That's likely to be at 90+k, and I just couldn't wait that long.

Chip H.
    On one of those vehicles, I would not look at anything other than oil, air filter and belt until 100,000 miles. No wires, no distributor, no rotor and most likely has plugs that last well over the 100,000 miles.

I think it's great what all those smog requirements did for cars. It started out as being the opposite, but now it's improved everything.

-Don-