Thread: Survey: Many Americans Know Little About Religion

Survey: Many Americans Know Little About Religion

So many blindly believe, and don't even know why:

A new survey of Americans' knowledge of religion found that atheists, agnostics, Jews and Mormons outperformed Protestants and Roman Catholics in answering questions about major religions, while many respondents could not correctly give the most basic tenets of their own faiths.

Forty-five percent of Roman Catholics who participated in the study didn't know that, according to church teaching, the bread and wine used in Holy Communion is not just a symbol, but becomes the body and blood of Christ

More than half of Protestants could not identify Martin Luther as the person who inspired the Protestant Reformation. And about four in 10 Jews did not know that Maimonides, one of the greatest rabbis and intellectuals in history, was Jewish

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    I think about religion a lot; it's a subject of great interest to me. I have read extensively and after years of research and serious contemplation I have arrived at a basic axiom that, so far, no one has been able to challenge on the basis of fact or logic:

No living human being knows a single thing about the existence (or non-existence) of a supernatural being (what we call "god"); that includes his (her, its - whatever) motives, if any; his values - whatever those might be - or his/her/its "plan," if such exists at all. None of us knows a single thing about what happens after we die (other than we can expect to die).

Everything relating to the above in every religious tradition is mere belief.

An intelligent, humble person (like me!) realizes this - and doesn't claim to know anything, or assert that any one religion is more (or less) valid than the others, insofar as the above.

If everyone adopted such an attitude, religion would not be the instrument of human misery it so often has been - and likely will continue to be.

If anyone disagrees with me in re the above, please provide proof that your religion is the "right" one.

And no, "it is written" and "have faith" don't qualify as proof.

Sorry.