Thread: '75 Trans Am ruined by 'groid ree-uhms

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

'75 Trans Am ruined by 'groid ree-uhms

I liked this car until I saw the side view:

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I liked this car until I saw the side view:
    I don't mind the side view, but I don't like the noise from the engine.
    Trevor

Quote Originally Posted by tcolby View Post
    If I had a noise like that from my engine I would check the belt tensioner bearing. Actually I did have a noise like that, and I did check the bearing, and it was shot.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

The engine sounds like it should; has an aggressive cam and probably Rhoads variable duration lifters (which accounts for some of the sound). Mine sounds similar, but deeper.

But I hate the oversized, non-stock ree-uhms.

Maaaahhhhhhhnnn!

In the first place, they look wrong. Grossly out of proportion to the rest of the car. I know some ass clowns want to force-fit 2010 wheel/tire technology onto 40 year old cars - but it looks stupid; it looks ghetto.

The original rims fit the car - and looked (for god's sake) different. Meanwhile, every nigged up piece of shit Escalade and eight-year-old Accord has these god-damned 20 -inch "bling" ree-ums.

It's about as original as barbed wire tatoos on the calf - and just as classy.

The engine sounds like it should; has an aggressive cam and probably Rhoads variable duration lifters (which accounts for some of the sound). Mine sounds similar, but deeper.
    But I hate the oversized, non-stock ree-uhms.
    I can understand your feelings about the rims.
    I was referring to the whistling/rattling type of noise coming from the engine bay.
    Trevor

I can understand your feelings about the rims.
    I was referring to the whistling/rattling type of noise coming from the engine bay.
    Yeah... well, keep in mind it's an ancient pushrod V-8. The whistling-sucking sound is the sound of manifold vacuum through the big four barrel carb, which has exposed throats breathing through that "shaker" hood scoop. The clattery sound is the sound of the valvetrain; with a hot cam, that's how they sound. Lumpy!

PS: Here's what the stock/factory wheel looked like:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    If I had a noise like that from my engine I would check the belt tensioner bearing. Actually I did have a noise like that, and I did check the bearing, and it was shot.

Ken.
    No tensioner on that animal!

Just old school pulleys you have to leverage by hand to get the right belt tightness...

Yeah... well, keep in mind it's an ancient pushrod V-8. The whistling-sucking sound is the sound of manifold vacuum through the big four barrel carb, which has exposed throats breathing through that "shaker" hood scoop. The clattery sound is the sound of the valvetrain; with a hot cam, that's how they sound. Lumpy!

PS: Here's what the stock/factory wheel looked like:
    I agree that the current wheels look very flimsy compared to the stock/factory wheels and are not as good.
    Trevor

I agree that the current wheels look very flimsy compared to the stock/factory wheels and are not as good.
    Plus, they (large diameter ree-uhms) increase rolling resistance and probably screw up the suspension geometry, which was designed for a 15x7 wheel, not a 20x9 (or whatever it is).

This kind of swap is a big trend, unfortunately - along with putting in late-model fuel-injected and computer-controlled Chevy V-8s into classic Pontiacs and Buicks, etc.

To me, it's like putting the guts of a modern diesel-electric train into the shell of an old steam/coal-fired locomotive.

You've just ruined a piece of history...

Yeah, those are not anywhere close to being the correct wheels/tires for that car.

Could be just a bad styling decision. Or couldn't afford or find vintage rims. Or with the beefy engine, wanted some modern rubber so they could hook up.

In either case, it's an easy fix. It's not like he painted the "Reese Cup" logo down the side or anything, turning it into a Donk.

Chip H.

While those wheels are ugly.... at least the car isn't horribly disfigured and it's easily returned to stock or at the very least something period correct..... here's what I mean......

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang_Boy View Post
    While those wheels are ugly.... at least the car isn't horribly disfigured and it's easily returned to stock or at the very least something period correct..... here's what I mean......
    Can someone explain it to me?

Why do blacks think grotesquely oversize rims are appealing?

Because they hab nuttin' goin' on inside der hed. Cept maybe lay some ho, father more chillin, smoke a blunt, BBQ on de front lawn, and watch the NFL or NBA. Scam dem white folks into payin' for der chillin, an move back in with the last ho, who got's section 8 to pay for her 4 breeders, all from different baby daddies.

I guess maybe as a status symbol? That's the best guess I have...... me, give me function over form any day of the week; that and I learned first hand that the wrong wheels can literally ruin a car.... before I owned my Mustang, I had an '02 Nissan Maxima SE with the 6 speed stick. It was fast, smooth, comfortable and stealthy. It looked like a plain jane family car- a "Q" ship, but it hauled ass thanks to Nissan's excellent V6. Then I had a tire blowout on the freeway and it bent a wheel. Instead of just replacing the wheel, I added larger 18 inch wheels that were a simple black 5 spoke wheel, but they were the largest that would fit on it (the car came with 17 inch wheels stock) but it threw the whole car car off balance, the ride became terrible, it handled poorly and it was frightning to drive in the rain (maybe more-so with the tires it had on it) luckily though I found my current car and I traded the Maxima for the Mustang.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang_Boy View Post
    I guess maybe as a status symbol? That's the best guess I have...... me, give me function over form any day of the week; that and I learned first hand that the wrong wheels can literally ruin a car.... before I owned my Mustang, I had an '02 Nissan Maxima SE with the 6 speed stick. It was fast, smooth, comfortable and stealthy. It looked like a plain jane family car- a "Q" ship, but it hauled ass thanks to Nissan's excellent V6. Then I had a tire blowout on the freeway and it bent a wheel. Instead of just replacing the wheel, I added larger 18 inch wheels that were a simple black 5 spoke wheel, but they were the largest that would fit on it (the car came with 17 inch wheels stock) but it threw the whole car car off balance, the ride became terrible, it handled poorly and it was frightning to drive in the rain (maybe more-so with the tires it had on it) luckily though I found my current car and I traded the Maxima for the Mustang.
    It must be - because it seems they're always trying to outdo each other; see who can get the biggest wheels on their POS hooptie. But it's a bizarre (infantile, pathetic) way to achieve status ... such as it is.

I'm with you. Function is what matters.

Even so, I still appreciate a beautifully done paint job or tasteful custom work that shows real skill.

But putting $4,000 worth of rheeee-uuhhms on a "$2,000 POS '78 Malibu sedan?

Sexual chocolate! Soul Glo!