Thread: The "Neighbor in a cage" test

The "Neighbor in a cage" test

This guy has a good point. If there was a project proposed in your neighborhood, and one of the people who would be affected by it absolutely refused his permission, would you lock him up until it was done?

http://thewhitedsepulchre.blogspot.c...cage-test.html

But I would like to make it clear that I am not indulging in a figure of speech: I think itís a pretty useful heuristic: If youíre not willing to have somebody hauled off at gunpoint over the project, then itís probably not a legitimate concern of the state.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    This guy has a good point. If there was a project proposed in your neighborhood, and one of the people who would be affected by it absolutely refused his permission, would you lock him up until it was done?

http://thewhitedsepulchre.blogspot.c...cage-test.html
    To appreciate this, you have to have a different mindset than most statists have (I don't use "liberal" or "conservative" because both terms avoid the central quality that defines them - the use of state coercion to achieve whatever "policy" they support, whether it's welfare or warfare).

The liberal statist sees himself as "kind" and "not selfish" ... because he agitates for and supports the use of state coercion to compel Smith to provide funds for the support/help of Jones.

The conservative statist see his support for a dominating military and world empire funded at gunpoint by taxes taken from individuals who may find both repellent as "patriotic."

I'd say no more than 10 percent of the American public understands the moral issue involved in the "cage" test.

Or gives a damn.

Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    Look at this taxation example:

It's a crime for me to take money from you, and give it to a needy person. Even if I get 100 people to agree with me, that it's OK, it's still a crime. But when our elected officials agree it's OK to take money from me, and redistribute to their definition of a needy person then it's not a crime!

To add insult to injury, our government makes it a crime for me not to hand over the money!

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dBrong View Post
    Look at this taxation example:

It's a crime for me to take money from you, and give it to a needy person. Even if I get 100 people to agree with me, that it's OK, it's still a crime. But when our elected officials agree it's OK to take money from me, and redistribute to their definition of a needy person then it's not a crime!

To add insult to injury, our government makes it a crime for me not to hand over the money!
    Yep!

And: I think most people would - hell, they do - eagerly embrace the idea of having Big Bully take money from you/me to "help" them (or whomever).

I don't want to come off as mean-spirited, but I honestly think at least 50-60 percent of the people out there are fucking Maggots who don't have the faintest concept of morality, or give a shit if they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    ...I honestly think at least 50-60 percent of the people out there are fucking Maggots who don't have the faintest concept of morality, or give a shit if they do.
    I agree. Just tune in Maury, Jerry Springer, Tyra, one of the Judge shows, etc. And just take a look at all the druggies, dummy's, breeders, and profilgate people.

It's not just taxes -- it's also eminent domain.

People don't think - "What if it was your land they were taking away? The land your great grandfather carved out of the wilderness? Or if it was the land that you bought with 8,300 hours of your labor?"

Chip H.