Thread: One downside of the Bersa Thunder 380

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

One downside of the Bersa Thunder 380

I bought a Bersa Thunder 380 earlier this year, chiefly as a back-up "carry" gun for summer, when I find my Sig 220 is just a bit too bulky when wearing shorts (without a belt).

The Bersa is a high-quality knock-off of the Walther PPK and I have been very pleased with it, except for one thing. The factory sights aren't very good (useless at night) and it is virtually impossible (economically) to replace them with, say, aftermarket tritiums because while the rear sight is screwed-in, the front sight is a press fit and needs a gunsmith's services. As far as I have been able to tell, too, no one makes aftermarket/night sights for this gun.

This is another example of the "carry Paradox."

Most of us would prefer to carry as powerful a gun as possible; but the larger caliber guns - which usually have/offer all the features we like, too (including high quality sights) - are almost all pretty heavy. Even in "small frames," you can't downsize the size of large caliber bullets and magazines. The smaller, easier to carry guns on the other hand don't have the power we'd like to have, if we ever need it.

Look at a Walther PPS or Kahr. They're both very good pocket pistols.
    The Ruger LCP is certainly cheaper, but merely good in comparison (make sure you get one that has had the recalls performed on it).

In any case, I would shop for the holster first. A quality holster maker isn't going to put his name on a holster for a POS gun, so you eliminate them right off.

Chip H.

Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    Look at a Walther PPS or Kahr. They're both very good pocket pistols.
    The Ruger LCP is certainly cheaper, but merely good in comparison (make sure you get one that has had the recalls performed on it).

In any case, I would shop for the holster first. A quality holster maker isn't going to put his name on a holster for a POS gun, so you eliminate them right off.

Chip H.
    It's really hard to find a CC holster for people like me who mostly wear cargo-type shorts with no belt. Pyle Mountain Holsters sells "inside the pants" clip-style units that I have found serviceable. The location provides excellent concealment as well as comfort and accessibility.

But - they don't work so well for bigger guns, like the Sig .45 (or likely any .45)

Same with the Beretta .380 - only both sights are pressed. That's ok, though - it's lightweight, and fits those of us with smaller hands. And, distance shooting is not what one would use it for anyway.....

Quote Originally Posted by eesquared View Post
    Same with the Beretta .380 - only both sights are pressed. That's ok, though - it's lightweight, and fits those of us with smaller hands. And, distance shooting is not what one would use it for anyway.....
    I agree!

I like the Bersa a lot, despite the not-so-great (and can't be changed) sights.

It's a great CC gun; easy to have with you even in summer without being uncomfortable or it being obvious.

Still, I'd like to figure out a way to comfortably CC my Sig P220 .45

That gun is point and click accurate; dead on - from the factory! (Mine has the optional Tritium night sights, too - which makes a big difference in low light situations. With the Bersa, I'd be shooting in the dark - literally. )

Plus, it has stopping power - as well as more intimidation power, if that ever becomes necessary.

Good to know there are some gun-friendly women around, by the way!

I may have posted this before...
    Concealed carry holster reviews from a woman.

Chip H.

Wink

Wow. Nice gun holders! Nice holsters too.
    Last edited by Ranger; 02-02-2011 at 03:29 PM.

Nice find! I could watch her reviews all day!

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.