Thread: Ignoreland

Staff

Ignoreland

REM's song Ignoreland was written against the Reagan-Bush administration, but it could apply to anyone since. Beginning around 1979, a law and order police state and corporate bootlicking midset engulfed the voting public and the politicians jumped on it. (Actually you you could see that occurring earlier after the public's dumbfounding approval of strict laws against motorists beginning with the 55 mph speed limit. From 1974 to about 1987, it was approved by about 80 percent of the public.) The mid 1980's also saw the beginning of the show COPS, which shows "peace officers" violating people's constitutional rights with impunity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuknsRV5kDI

The New York concert live is even better than the studio version. You can hear the anger.
    Last edited by swamprat; 10-02-2010 at 06:05 PM.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    REM's song Ignoreland was written against the Reagan-Bush administration, but it could apply to anyone since. Beginning around 1979, a law and order police state and corporate bootlicking midset engulfed the voting public and the politicians jumped on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuknsRV5kDI

The New York concert live is even better than the studio version. You can hear the anger.
    I didn't know about this song; good stuff!

I think Reagan genuinely did love what you and I might call the "old America" - and tried, to the extent that he could, to protect it. But Bush I and his fellow corporate nihilists/country-rapers took over the show and it's been downhill at warp speed ever since...

Staff
    Last edited by swamprat; 10-02-2010 at 07:05 PM.

Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I didn't know about this song; good stuff!

I think Reagan genuinely did love what you and I might call the "old America" - and tried, to the extent that he could, to protect it. But Bush I and his fellow corporate nihilists/country-rapers took over the show and it's been downhill at warp speed ever since...
    I agree with you. Reagan did what he could. I think that the assassination attempt was planned by the Bush family to put a scare in the gipper. Bush was out of town dining with Hinckley's parents when John H. pointed the gun at the president. We know that he was mentally unstable and that's exactly the kind of people that Bush knows how to manipulate. The Bushes are mentally ill themselves.

I believe that the Bushies started plotting their takeover on day one, but weren't able to do it completely until the issueless "Morning in America" 1984 campaign.

By the way, check out Bush 1 during the state of the union speech in 1983. He looks like he wants to kill the president.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZW1NHay0c8

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    I agree with you. Reagan did what he could. I think that the assassination attempt was planned by the Bush family to put a scare in the gipper. Bush was out of town dining with Hinckley's parents when John H. pointed the gun at the president. We know that he was mentally unstable and that's exactly the kind of people that Bush knows how to manipulate. The Bushes are mentally ill themselves.

I believe that the Bushies started plotting their takeover on day one, but weren't able to do it completely until the issueless "Morning in America" 1984 campaign.

By the way, check out Bush 1 during the state of the union speech in 1983. He looks like he wants to kill the president.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZW1NHay0c8
    He is a sinister-looking reptile, isn't he? The beady, close-set eyes. The mean little mouth.

People make fun of the Kennedys but the the Bushes have been far more of a cancer on the country, from the Nazi-snuggling, war-profiteering corporate tool (Prescott) to his puppetmaster son, to The Chimp. And there are more out there, waiting for their time...