Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: The unemployed in Detroit

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Raleigh NC, USA
    Posts
    3,628

    The unemployed in Detroit

    will no longer be able to grow their own food, under a proposed law.

    I don't get this -- Detroit is going back to farmland, anyway. So why make it illegal for the over 25% of the people living there who are unemployed to grow their own food in their gardens?

    The only thing I can come up with is the legislators want these people dependent on them (via public assistance), so they can ensure they get their vote.

    http://www.mackinac.org/13629

    Chip H.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Raleigh NC, USA
    Posts
    3,628
    More info - turns out that a large corporation wants to farm in Detroit. Can't have those pesky individuals getting in the way...

    http://money.cnn.com/2009/12/29/news...tune/index.htm

    Chip H.

  3. #3
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,917
    Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    will no longer be able to grow their own food, under a proposed law.

    I don't get this -- Detroit is going back to farmland, anyway. So why make it illegal for the over 25% of the people living there who are unemployed to grow their own food in their gardens?

    The only thing I can come up with is the legislators want these people dependent on them (via public assistance), so they can ensure they get their vote.

    http://www.mackinac.org/13629

    Chip H.
    I've read about this on some of the "conspiracy" sites I visit.

    But it's apparently true.

    Still, I can't get my head around it. They are going to criminally pursue a person for growing some tomatoes or corn in their own backyard?

    If so, we truly do live in a police state and this is just another indication of it.

  4. #4
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,917
    Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    More info - turns out that a large corporation wants to farm in Detroit. Can't have those pesky individuals getting in the way...

    http://money.cnn.com/2009/12/29/news...tune/index.htm

    Chip H.
    After years of thinking about it - and trying to reconcile the concept with my Libertarian beliefs - I have come to the conclusion that corporations, as such, are antithetical to human liberty (and human dignity) and therefore should be outlawed.

    Reason? They violate (by their very nature) the core principle of Libertarianism, that of nonaggression. By their nature, the corporation is an entity that is sociopathic. Unlike an individual businessman, a corporation not only has no conscience, it has no capacity to develop one - ever.

    Its sole purpose is to maximize profit, at whatever (and irrespective of any) cost, human or otherwise.

    Which is precisely what it does - every time.

    No single human being can ever control it. The contest is always completely unequal. The massed resources in money and otherwise that a corporation can bring to bear defy the efforts of any reformer or law. The corporation will always overcome such obstacles, either by overt force or the far more subtle and even more effective means of financial co-opting. It just buys out the opposition and puts it on its payroll as captive lapdogs - which is what American "representatives" have been since at least the time of Lincoln, if not all the way back to the beginning.

    To endow such a creature with legal rights of any description is to enthrone Satan, if such a being exists.

    Literally.

    There is no "free trade" - that is a phantasm as unreal as world peace and something that is just as unlikely ever to exist. There can only be fair trade, among individual humans beings, working within the boundaries of the same economic environment, in which neither has an artificial advantage over the other (such as the labor arbitrage exploited by corporations today).

    People see religion as the cause of most human suffering, but they are wrong.

    It is the corporation.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    335
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    .... They are going to criminally pursue a person for growing some tomatoes or corn in their own backyard? .....
    Not just in >their own< backyard.

    As I understand it from other coverage, the grassroots urban farming that's been going on, is mostly happening on land that's been abandoned. The people who are tilling the land don't actually own it; the city does, or could if it bothered to file some paperwork.

    Hantz wants title to large tracts of that land, which he would get for free from the city, or from the owners at forced sale rates. The people who are farming abandoned land have no legal standing, so all they could do is express their moral outrage about the freebie deal in whatever's left of the press.

    The law would make it impossible for the urban farmers to scratch out an existence on whatever land they _do_ own, e.g. next door to the land they've been farming, forcing them to sell to the only buyer available, and move away.

    ... thus depriving Detroit of yet more people who believe in it.

    It will probably happen.
    Maybe it's the only way that a real Renaissance _can_ happen in Detroit.
    ... but it sure stinks.

  6. #6
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,917
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeHalloran View Post
    Not just in >their own< backyard.

    As I understand it from other coverage, the grassroots urban farming that's been going on, is mostly happening on land that's been abandoned. The people who are tilling the land don't actually own it; the city does, or could if it bothered to file some paperwork.

    Hantz wants title to large tracts of that land, which he would get for free from the city, or from the owners at forced sale rates. The people who are farming abandoned land have no legal standing, so all they could do is express their moral outrage about the freebie deal in whatever's left of the press.

    The law would make it impossible for the urban farmers to scratch out an existence on whatever land they _do_ own, e.g. next door to the land they've been farming, forcing them to sell to the only buyer available, and move away.

    ... thus depriving Detroit of yet more people who believe in it.

    It will probably happen.
    Maybe it's the only way that a real Renaissance _can_ happen in Detroit.
    ... but it sure stinks.
    Yep - more corporatism at work. Some politically connected shyster deploys the police power of the government to operate on his behalf, to shower him with more riches while making the average person more miserable, poorer and dependent.

    It's of a piece with the use of eminent domain to seize land so that some corporate hog-trougher (Wal-mart, for instance) can build another big box store there, which will make millions for the hogtroughers as well as the local government via higher tax income. But which leaves the powerless small land/homeowners SOL.

    I despise what America has become - and fear what it is becoming.

Similar Threads

  1. How Are the Kids? Unemployed, Underwater, and Sinking
    By Eric in forum Survival/Economic Collapse
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-25-2010, 06:51 AM
  2. Long-Term Unemployed Now 46 Percent Of Unemployed
    By Eric in forum Survival/Economic Collapse
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-10-2010, 10:30 AM
  3. Millions of Unemployed Face Years Without Jobs
    By Eric in forum Survival/Economic Collapse
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-21-2010, 09:08 AM
  4. Detroit Blues....
    By Eric in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-23-2007, 07:03 PM
  5. Detroit's slump
    By TC in forum Automotive News
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-16-2007, 12:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •