Thread: Tires

Staff

Tires

Why in hell are tires so expensive. I remember getting made in the USA firestone tires for my Ford Mustang for $99 plus $40.00 to mount and balance them. I think that they were 225/55/16's, same size as the Jag.

Now, that is what they charge for the cheapest made in China brands. A european or domestic brand costs about 670.00 for mounting and balancing and tax.

P.S. I hate Continental Tires. They pull in every direction but straight and vibrate like a paint can shaker.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    Why in hell are tires so expensive. I remember getting made in the USA firestone tires for my Ford Mustang for $99 plus $40.00 to mount and balance them. I think that they were 225/55/16's, same size as the Jag.

Now, that is what they charge for the cheapest made in China brands. A european or domestic brand costs about 670.00 for mounting and balancing and tax.

P.S. I hate Continental Tires. They pull in every direction but straight and vibrate like a paint can shaker.
    Yep, I have noticed this, too.

I think one reason is that there are so many different types/sizes of tires now (relative to the past) that the unit profit has gone down, so the mark-up has gone up.

Also, of course, tires are made of rubber - a petro dependent product - and even though oil prices are down, they're still way up relative to say five years ago...